A simple dungeon offering?

Maps, worlds, dungeons, towns, and other fun

Post by Merctime » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:27 pm

A simple dungeon offering?

Hi everyone,

A few weeks back, I started getting back into practice with writing a simple dugeon. It has no real 'wow' or 'oooh, ah!' factor, and as I used B1 for assistance, the wording on the room descriptions are way too long. I've lately been considering re-doing it with far less wording, more in the 'judges guild' style if you will. I've also had a few other ideas as to how to go about stocking it.

Case in point, if I were to go through it and re-write it to Delving Deeper version 3 rules, would anyone be interested in my posting it here? I've got around 3 levels finished, but 2 further levels that are basically still in 'framework' stage. Note that although I have maps of these, I still need to re-write for DD v3 and to re-do the verbage, so I couldn't post this today for example.

Any interest?

Post by mgtremaine » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:27 pm

Re: A simple dungeon offering?

I like pie! Free dungeons also. :P
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:40 pm

That sounds fantastic Merctime.

If you like I'd be happy to proofread it and help you get it "right" from a DD perspective.

I'd also be very happy to add it to the DD fileshare here if you like, or else link to your own fileshare from here.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by Merctime » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:58 pm

mgtremaine wrote:I like pie! Free dungeons also. :P
Awesome! Ok, Bro, I'll see when I can get this out to you. I have no pie to give you though :oops:
waysoftheearth wrote:That sounds fantastic Merctime.

If you like I'd be happy to proofread it and help you get it "right" from a DD perspective.

I'd also be very happy to add it to the DD fileshare here if you like, or else link to your own fileshare from here.
Thank you, Sir! I'd love for you to do both when I have it typed etc, but I fear to take you away from the Reliquary for even a second! hehe. But really, If you'd not mind doing those things, I'd love it. Be advised of a few things, please...

a) It is not the most amazing dungeon experience of all time
b) It's going to take me more than a few days to have even the first level ready for submitting here
c) I'd have no intent to sell it, but if you wanted to for whatever reason, we could work that out. It's mainly intended as a freebie for the people who frequent your boards :)

EDIT: I should probably let everyone know that I don't have anything digital on this yet. I hope I didn't come across as this being something I could offer in a few days; It will take some time to type it up and perhaps beg my boss at work to use his scanner. Haha. Otherwise, I'll see if I can find an online place to sort of copy the maps I drew. Guys, it will take a bit! But I appreciate the interest and also the offer of assistance to make it less sophomoric :)

Also, I think I'll offer the LibreOffice .odt file of the dungeon as I post levels of it, for all of you who (if you're like me, anywho) love to tinker with stuff and make it your own.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:45 am

Merctime wrote:I'd have no intent to sell it, but if you wanted to for whatever reason, we could work that out. It's mainly intended as a freebie for the people who frequent your boards :)
It's your work, so selling is up to you. But free is the best price if you can do it IMHO ;)

I've emailed you just now--if you want me to proofread it for you, email me when you have a digital version. I'd recommend a plain text file for your draft; that way you are only thinking about the content, and not getting distracted by the presentation (you can deal with that once you have your content sorted out). But it's up to you of course.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by Merctime » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:14 am

Free it is! Okay, Ways, I've received your Email and responded to you also. I'm a bit 'talky' and 'wordy'; prepare for a small wall of text :P

If you prefer a text file, that's what you'll get my good man! Began typing it up just now. Should be fun!

Post by Idrahil » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:11 am

I'd be interested :)

Post by Merctime » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:41 pm

Guys, having a hard time finding a way to scan my maps into digital format. While I'd prefer to offer hand-drawn maps, do any of you know of an online or offline program that is good for getting maps onto a computer?

I've been a bit busy with stuff lately, but I've gotten about half of the 1st level onto a LibreOffice document, and am still chopping the verbage down to usable levels. But the maps are going to stumble me!

This is pretty fun :) I haven't written a dungeon of this size in some time. I'll probably need to make some adjustments to it as well, as I've never play-tested it. Sorry this is taking so long! I'll try to have something for the 1st level ready for Waysoftheearth around next week, if I can find a way to get the maps in.

Post by mgtremaine » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:55 pm

I usually scan to image then open the image in the GIMP (free photoshop like program). Once in there I clean it up as best I can and then save it as a image (gif, png, jpg) using the best resolution but smallest size possible.... Now if you have never used something like the GIMP or Photoshop then all this sounds hard, and frankly it takes a while to get used to. But it is well worth the learning.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by Merctime » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:48 pm

That's the thing, MG... I don't know if I can get reliable access to a scanner :(

Just hoping if there is a reasonable solution to 'drawing' a map online from one I have already drawn on paper? I suppose I could see if the local library has a scanner for public use...

Return to “Supplements and Adventures!”