Dougal 7310
Kiplyn 6000
Dame Simonetta 5903
Wilbur 5627
Bilfur 3138
Noh 2040
Robur 432/456/456
Beppo 687/753

There were several times the party came this close to a major treasure hoard. ;)
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:00 pm

Re: The Ninth Adventure

Regarding the giant sloth, Ursa says, "Yes, they are so cute when they are sleeping! But those claws are powerful."

Speak with Animals is a 1st level druid spell. We are basically using the 1st edition AD&D druid spell list.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by rredmond » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:02 pm

mushgnome wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:00 pm
Speak with Animals is a 1st level druid spell. We are basically using the 1st edition AD&D druid spell list.
Cool!
mushgnome wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:59 pm
Noh 2040
Krikey that's close to the next level!
the_DM wrote:There were several times the party came this close to a major treasure hoard. ;)
Ah well, the greatest adventure, is what lies ahead, as they say.
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by mushgnome » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:50 am

Tough luck in terms of finding gold/gems, but you did find some powerful magic items (at the Athena shrine):

Bilfur's potion of ambrosia (like a thousand second breakfasts at once)
Dame Simonetta's scroll of protection vs undead
Robur's scrolls of cure light wounds and water breathing
Noh's mystery clerical scroll; I will assume Noh casts Read Magic off-camera in between Adventures and identifies it as a scroll of Raise Dead! By the power of Read Magic the scroll is 'translated' for Noh's future use.

Some hints how to find big treasure (so you can level up) on the next Adventure:
Dungeon Level 1, there is still one big treasure you didn't find yet.
Dungeon Level 2, you'll need a boat, raft, or magical water-breathing to explore most of this level.
Dungeon Level 3, you are doing a good job so far. You are starting to encounter monsters with powerful venom, petrification, intelligence, etc. but if you can defeat those monsters in their lair, high risk = high reward.
Dungeon Level 4 and beyond...

This was our first experiment with hirelings (Douglas, Fiona, Ginger). How was that experience for you as players?

Post by kipper » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:45 pm

mushgnome wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:50 am
This was our first experiment with hirelings (Douglas, Fiona, Ginger). How was that experience for you as players?
Personally, from a meta-gaming perspective I'm not a fan of hirelings unless they are 100% under the control of the DM because I usually forget that they exist! Ginger for example seems to have melted into the background, by this time I've forgotten about her personality and motivations too much to even attempt to give her actions even if I did remember she was there. I love Douglas & Fiona however, they are hilarious!

Post by rredmond » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:21 pm

mushgnome wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:50 am
a scroll of Raise Dead! By the power of Read Magic the scroll is 'translated' for Noh's future use.
That rocks! Great for us!!

kipper wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:45 pm
I'm not a fan of hirelings
Not a fan either, because (in 1e) they suck up XP :D, but they suck up resources as well. And doubly agree they are better if the DM runs them.

Looking forward to the next Adventure!

PS: stupid inert javelins! :mrgreen:
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by mushgnome » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:36 pm

I just want to take a moment and acknowledge @acodispo's contribution, as Willie retires to NPC life.

Willie's first order of business is a new set of teeth. Then I imagine the trio of Willie, Potty, and Tet off having crazy sitcom adventures in the background, paying you all occasional social visits.

Post by mushgnome » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:00 pm

Regarding NPC henchmen/hirelings: I'm happy either way. We can continue the experiment if you like.

I enjoy putting words in the NPCs' mouths and bringing their personalities to life. Douglas and Fiona have been living in my head for a long time, but with Ginger, I am still figuring out her personality. She comes from a prominent family; she is a more 'weighty' NPC than Douglas or Fiona.

But in terms of the hirelings' actions I prefer their marching orders come from you, the players. It could be as simple as a one-time definition of their "standard operating procedure." If you leave it up to me, they'll just basically follow you around, fight with slings or melee weapons as needed, help you carry stuff, etc.

The reason I don't want to micromanage their actions is because, I know all the spoilers, and I don't want to take away your player agency. I don't want to be a "Ginger finds a secret door!" style of DM. (if that makes any sense?)

Post by Bastet1002 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:30 pm

I really enjoyed have NPCs especially when they misbehaved and did something to rile the whole group like take the sword or decide to go another way! None of them have been sinister or scheming, so I wonder what might happen in the future.... :D
Robur Boulderhill, Hobbit Fighter 1 / Druid 1 / Thief 1 (MV 12", AC 6 - w/ shield, , HP 7) leather, wood shield, cudgel, sling, Hobbit stiletto, boots high hard, hooded cloak, backpack, scroll cure lit. wound + wat breath, Background: Mead maker

Post by mgtremaine » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:43 pm

mushgnome wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:36 pm
I just want to take a moment and acknowledge @acodispo's contribution, as Willie retires to NPC life.

Willie's first order of business is a new set of teeth. Then I imagine the trio of Willie, Potty, and Tet off having crazy sitcom adventures in the background, paying you all occasional social visits.
Fair thee well @acodispo, Willie was great to have along.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”