The Ninth Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by mushgnome » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:17 am

Re: The Ninth Adventure

Frederick VIII is waiting for you with steaming plates of buttermilk-blueberry pancakes. As an amuse-bouche, he offers a new experimental breakfast sandwich for you to try, called the spoiler sandwich. It's rye bread toast with french fries, pickles, fried egg, and extra cheese. Frederick offers hot cider to warm you up from the dungeon. He reaches up to the top shelf and breaks out the good cinnamon for the occasion.

Usra is looking fit as a fiddle. Once she was well enough to cast healing magic on herself, poof! Just like that, fully restored.

Dr. Rabbitz DMD is there as well, with a big smile. You also notice a few human customers are squeezed into the cozy pancake parlor. It seems the town's human-hobbet relations continue to improve.

After the first course of the meal (while the coconut waffles are gently roasting golden brown), Frederick takes you in the back room (out of human earshot) and gives you a wash basin, soap, and some towels. He says, "Listen: Ursa, Doc Rabbitz and me makes three. That's a Hobbet Heroes Quorum. We have voted unanimously to grant you full membership in the Club. This gives you voting rights on membership, bylaws, and rules. It also means you are in the Circle of Trust and the Spoiler Ban is lifted. We can talk openly about our experiences and share tips and strategy. So tell me: What went right, what went wrong? What would you do different next time? How can the three of us, your Sponsors, help?"
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:41 pm

Kiplyn is happy to be back in the safety of the inn, and after a good meal gives some thought about what went on down below. "Those tunnels are seemingly endless, the biggest problem we had is those tunnel thugs always jumping out of the floor at the wrong time. Otherwise we did find some interesting thing, I picked up the new shield but Dougal picked up a sword that he can't let go of. We also found this strange obsidian rock formation but maybe Dame Simonetta can describe that better."
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by kipper » Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:22 pm

Dame Simonetta enjoys the pancakes, but is not adventurous enough to sample Frederick's 'spoiler sandwich'.

She is happy to fill in the details of Kiplyn's (or the others') stories.

I have a horrible memory, so I'm not going to try to add any additional information in-character because without going back to re-read everything I will undoubtedly miss at least half of it and mess up the details of the other half.

Post by mushgnome » Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:38 pm

Ursa chimes in with an opinion about the tunnel thugs. "Tunnel thugs are creatures of Elemental Earth. They are often found near large deposits of gems or precious metals. Did you encounter the tunnel thugs scattered throughout the dungeon, or concentrated in one place?"

OOC: In meta-game terms, Ursa is implying that Vilstraks keep treasure type C in their lair. As a high level druid, she knows a thing or two about elementals.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by Bastet1002 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:16 pm

Robur wants to share about the fishman. "He was very tall and glistening with a large hunting spear," says Robur. "He has a lookout up high with some sort of harpoon. He took one glance at us and he ran away on feet with fins and all. He wouldn't even join us for lunch and try my sandwich! It must his hands only that could get up to activate this obsidian tower thing. Yes, perhaps Mrs. Dame can explain it for us better..."

Robur good-humourly tries Frederick's spoiler sandwich after having his fill of pancakes.
Robur Boulderhill, Hobbit Fighter 1 / Druid 1 / Thief 1 (MV 12", AC 6 - w/ shield, , HP 7) leather, wood shield, cudgel, sling, Hobbit stiletto, boots high hard, hooded cloak, backpack, scroll cure lit. wound + wat breath, Background: Mead maker

Post by mushgnome » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:59 am

When Robur mentions the fishman, Frederick and Ursa stare at each other in astonishment. "No! That shouldn't be. Not in Hornpipe. Let's ask the expert. TOBY!!!"

Dr. Toby Rabbitz DMD comes running. Frederick says, "Robur: Tell Dr. Toby what you just told us."

The dentist sketches in his drawing pad as Robur describes the creature. "Mmm hmm, mustache, googly eyes, mmm hmm. Is--this--your fishman? Yeah, I hoped not. They call this 'The Innsmouth Look.' My diagnosis: Hornpipe's first suspected case of Deepwani Profundus."

"This is not good!" Ursa bemoans. "Deep Ones have never been spotted west of Arkham. I need to warn all the good fishies." (She makes an absent minded 'bloop bloop bloop' with her lips, as though dusting off a language she hasn't practiced in a while.)

Frederick circles back to activating the obsidian tower. "Does that ring a bell with any of you? No? Not me. We never came across that in our travels."

Ursa asks, "Was the obsidian tower near the Tunnel Thugs? Maybe it's the dolmen or portal that brought them here. Did it have an Elemental Earth aura? Did you pick up a Neutral or Druidic energy?" (To refresh your memory, the answer to all these questions is no: It was near the sloth (not the vilstraks) and Dame Simonetta's amulet detected an unholy energy.)

Post by kipper » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:34 pm

mushgnome wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:59 am
Ursa asks, "Was the obsidian tower near the Tunnel Thugs? Maybe it's the dolmen or portal that brought them here. Did it have an Elemental Earth aura? Did you pick up a Neutral or Druidic energy?"
"No," Dame Simonetta replies, "It was near the sloth and my amulet detected an unholy energy." :D.

Post by mushgnome » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:22 pm

Ursa says, "Maybe the sloth knows something? Did you try speak with animals?"

Post by kipper » Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:40 pm

"No, it was sleeping and we didn't want to disturb it given that we do not knows its temperament."

Post by rredmond » Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:31 pm

mushgnome wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:22 pm
Ursa says, "Maybe the sloth knows something? Did you try speak with animals?"
After spending a few moments trying to decipher Ursa's "bloop, bloop, bloops" and expand his druidic lore, Noh will ask, while stroking Carc's head, "is there a way to speak with animals without using a spell?"
I don't see it as a spell on the list: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=829
Do Druids gain any special powers after third level?
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”