The Ninth Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by mushgnome » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:45 pm

Re: The Ninth Adventure

Is there anything specific you'd like to do on the surface, or shall we heal up and get back to it?

If you want my advice: Choose a dangerous part of the dungeon that you think might have a lot of treasure, do a 'surgical strike' with a good plan, and hopefully level up. Now that you've found a potion of Ambrosia and scrolls of Water Breathing, Raise Dead, Protection vs. Undead, and Cure Light Wounds you should be thinking high risk, high reward.

A few suggestions would be: 1. the pirate ship in the middle of dungeon level three, 2. the petrifying monster's lair in the NW corner, 3. the entire water area of dungeon level two.

All of those seem like challenges you could prepare for on the surface, and then execute the plan, fresh and fully rested.

Only Kiplyn and Dame Simonetta are wounded. Ursa could cure light wounds the two of you, and you could be back in the dungeon as soon as tomorrow (if there's no business on the surface world).
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:10 pm

Willie would want you to have his potions of Animal Friendship and Detect Magic as well as his 2 flasks of holy water. The potions were commissioned from former party member Potty.

To whose inventory shall I add these items?
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:06 pm

Kiplyn eats a huge meal and complains about his wounds. "Thought all I needed was some pancakes but I'm bruised all over. As soon as I heal I think we should head back to the Ship on the Lake, something interesting must be there."
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by rredmond » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:08 pm

Does Noh have any Holy Water?
Noh can hang on to those for sure. I still have the two detection scrolls, so Noh will only hold onto the potions if no one else would like to.

He’s not really a front line fighter of the group, :) but I know we have some thieves, er, professional burglars as well.
Last edited by rredmond on Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by mgtremaine » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:08 pm

I got nothing I need "in town" I'd take the potion of Detect Magic but I'm not dead set on it if someone else feels that they need it more.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by rredmond » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:10 pm

Can we afford any other scrolls or potions?

Noh does have a flask of holy water, so he can add these two to that one.
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]

Post by kipper » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:55 am

Dame Simonetta is ready to return! (She already has 4 flasks of holy water and does not need any more, nor do either of the potions particularly appeal to her).

The water area (level 2): We have no idea what might be here, it would be challenging to plan a quick one-shot mission for this area, to put it mildly.

The pirate ship (level 3, centre): I don't have a clever plan for how to optimise our chances here as we don't really know what it is yet. If it's undead we're well-equipped, and undead pirates are most certainly a thing. But we can't be sure.

The petrification monster (level 3, NW corner). At least here we know (more or less) what we will be facing. If we stock up on polished metal mirrors we will have a good chance of surviving to our profit.

My vote is purchase polished metal mirrors for everyone and head to the NW corner of level 3.

Post by Bastet1002 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:17 am

"I have always liked parrots!" declares Robur. "I would like to visit the ship... Oh, no! Mrs. Dame is giving me her disapproving look again... Um... err... I guess it's petrifying monsters then..."

Robur sulks, still dreaming about the high seas... well the high "under" seas and that parot!
Robur Boulderhill, Hobbit Fighter 1 / Druid 1 / Thief 1 (MV 12", AC 6 - w/ shield, , HP 7) leather, wood shield, cudgel, sling, Hobbit stiletto, boots high hard, hooded cloak, backpack, scroll cure lit. wound + wat breath, Background: Mead maker

Post by rredmond » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:15 am

Noh looks for a quiet (and private) opportunity (as much as can be had in Frederick’s place :) ) and tells her how glad he is to see her back and healthy and her old self again. And since the restrictions are off ;) he presses her for wisdom about petrifying type creatures. Especially if there are any precautions they can take or protections they make be able to procure.

And really any other wisdom she is willing to impart about the Druidic ways.

Post by mushgnome » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:14 pm

OOC: I'm thinking, maybe there should be some combination of druid spells that can restore stone to flesh? Like Stone Shape followed by Remove Curse? And it shouldn't be easy: Your friends would have to carefully carry your statue back to the surface, and the ritual needs to be performed in a forest clearing under the light of the full moon, or something. I'm open to suggestions?

Otherwise, Stone to Flesh is a 6th level magic user spell, and how many high level NPC magic users have we met so far? Zero! Petrification is as good as a death sentence, without some in-game means to reverse it. (Worse than a death sentence, since arguably the Raise Dead scroll won't work since you're not technically 'dead.')

There aren't any scroll shops or potion stores in town. This is my intentional decision: All the 'good stuff' is in the dungeon. Potty and Ursa are cranking out magic items as fast as they can make them, but realistically, it takes at least 1 week in-game to craft any magic item, which is months if not years of real world time, at the slow rate of play by post. Spoiler alert there are a couple of NPC casters living in the dungeon, who would be willing to sell or barter magic items; you just haven't found them yet.

I think the new ruling on Read Magic spell opens a lot of doors: Druids can use Read Magic on cleric or MU scrolls. Maybe this should also work for other magic items, for example can a druid use Read Magic to find the activation command word of a Crystal Ball (normally restricted to MU), what do you think?

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”