The Eighth Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by mushgnome » Fri May 27, 2022 1:14 pm

Re: The Eighth Adventure

OOC: I'm clear on everyone's intentions except Beppo. If we don't hear from @scottenkainen by this evening, he and I have been gaming together for a long time, I feel comfortable playing Beppo according to what I think would be Scott's wishes. I think Beppo would probably join Robur in hiding in the shadows. Robur goes right, Beppo goes left, potentially setting up a backstab attempt on each of the tunnel thugs.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Mon May 30, 2022 3:16 am

Round 1

Robur melts into the shadows like an expert burglar.

The tunnel thugs launch themselves at the party like luchadores from the top rope. They attempt the 'elbow drop' maneuver, and with their triple-jointed elbows hard as rock, it is a formidable attack indeed! The thugs target Fiona and Dame Simonetta, but the hobbets are too quick for them, and the attackers hit the ground with a mighty thud.

Dougal hits one of them with a sling stone on the way down, and then Kiplyn, Dame Simonetta, and Willie are able to finish them off with melee attacks. The tunnel thugs are defeated!

But there is no time to celebrate. There is a shrill cry of "UTTINI!!!" and a dozen blue heads peek over the ledge 30' above the party, glaring down with their orange eyes. The xvarts have been stalking the party since the ravine, waiting for the right opportunity. Now the xvarts have the high ground, and the party is distracted by the tunnel thugs, time to strike! The xvarts are at the top of the slope, 30' above and to the south of the party. They rain down a shower of xvart darts!

Bilfur, Douglas, Dougal, and Kiplyn are wounded by xvart darts!

What is the plan for Round 2 of the combined vilstrak/xvart onslaught?
Initiative vilstraks 6, party 2

Attack rolls
vs Dame Simonetta 10 miss
vs Fiona 2 miss

Party hide in shadows
Robur 5 success
Beppo 1 fail

Party missile attacks
Bilfur 7 miss
Noh 11 miss
Dougal 18 hit for 4hp

Party melee attacks
Kiplyn 19 hit for 5hp killing the thug that Dougal wounded
Dame Simonetta 16 hit for 3hp
Ginger 4 miss
Wilbur 2 miss
Willie 19 hit for 5hp finishing off the second thug

Xvart stealth check d6=5, success
Xvart missile attacks: 20, 10, 19, 7, 11, 20, 3, 17, 4, 4, 4, 12
Kiplyn hit for 3hp leaving him with 4 out of max 12hp
Bilfur hit for 1hp leaving 2/3
Douglas hit for 3hp
Dougal hit for 2hp leaving 8/10
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by kipper » Mon May 30, 2022 1:45 pm

As I see it, we have three options:
1) Rush up the slope (we'll probably fall and not make it).
2) Trade missile fire (we will very likely take more damage, the xvarts might retreat if we attack though).
3) Retreat around a corner towards room 31 (if they don't follow us immediately, we will be constantly in danger of another ambush).

Overall I think plan #2 is the best, even though it's risky. Anyone who's low on HP or otherwise cannot use a missile weapon can retreat around the corner.
Dame Simonetta switches to her sling and opens fire on the xvarts.

Post by Bastet1002 » Mon May 30, 2022 1:52 pm

If any Xvarts are nearby since he did not go down the slope, he will uses his hidden position to attempt a backstab. Otherwise he'll change his weapon to a sling and fire at a Xvart from the shadows.
Robur Boulderhill, Hobbit Fighter 1 / Druid 1 / Thief 1 (MV 12", AC 6 - w/ shield, , HP 7) leather, wood shield, cudgel, sling, Hobbit stiletto, boots high hard, hooded cloak, backpack, scroll cure lit. wound + wat breath, Background: Mead maker

Post by mushgnome » Mon May 30, 2022 2:44 pm

Bastet1002 wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 1:52 pm
If any Xvarts are nearby since he did not go down the slope, he will uses his hidden position to attempt a backstab. Otherwise he'll change his weapon to a sling and fire at a Xvart from the shadows.
The marching order has Robur in the 4th rank, next to Noh, which means he is at the bottom of the slope with the rest of the party.

If you want to change the marching order so Robur is bringing up the rear, that's fine with me going forward, but I can't change it retroactively.

The tunnel thugs selected their targets based on the party's marching order, therefore changing the marching order would change the outcome of the combat, and I've already rolled the dice.

Look on the bright side: Hypothetically if Robur were at the top of the slope, he would be outnumbered 12-to-1 in melee range, and I don't think you want that.

Post by rredmond » Mon May 30, 2022 3:59 pm

Noh also continues with his sling, while Carc watches the other exits from his shoulder.
kipper wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 1:45 pm
As I see it, we have three options:
1) Rush up the slope (we'll probably fall and not make it).
2) Trade missile fire (we will very likely take more damage, the xvarts might retreat if we attack though).
3) Retreat around a corner towards room 31 (if they don't follow us immediately, we will be constantly in danger of another ambush).

Overall I think plan #2 is the best, even though it's risky. Anyone who's low on HP or otherwise cannot use a missile weapon can retreat around the corner.

Agree with plan #2, we can run away later, but we can also get lucky against the xvarts, but we don't want them to think they can just ambush us without consequence.
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by mgtremaine » Mon May 30, 2022 9:21 pm

Kiplyn's relief of taking down the Tunnel Thug turns to distress at taking a sling stone to the chest. He dives for the nearest cover, knowing that one more stone will likely end him.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by Bastet1002 » Tue May 31, 2022 4:46 am

Ok, given Robur's location, he'll rearm with a sling and strike from the shadows.
Robur Boulderhill, Hobbit Fighter 1 / Druid 1 / Thief 1 (MV 12", AC 6 - w/ shield, , HP 7) leather, wood shield, cudgel, sling, Hobbit stiletto, boots high hard, hooded cloak, backpack, scroll cure lit. wound + wat breath, Background: Mead maker

Post by ehiker133 » Tue May 31, 2022 3:41 pm

Dougal launches a sling stone at the blue-faced creatures, standing ground with the others.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by dtspurrier » Tue May 31, 2022 8:37 pm

Bilfur cast his faire fire spell to try to get as many as he can. Then he tries to use the wall as a shield

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”