(041) The Fireplace Subterrane

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:15 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Chance is apparently smiling, for no monstrous centipedes emerge from their nest to waylay the company, and everyone returns to the workshop without incident.

What now?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:09 am

tonneau wrote:
"arrhh..." wheezes Gustave, beads of sweat glistening on his fine brow as he holds up his end of the guore, "...they build these guys solid. I don't fancy our chances of getting him out the way we came in" he says, setting the burden down with notably less care than a Sister of Mercy.

"If we can get this platform device moving somehow, now would be a great time" he adds, sitting himself down with a chink of mail, and wiping sweat from his face with a gloved hand.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:27 am

doctorx wrote:
Josiane, finding herself suddenly bearing the full weight of the sleeping dwarf, endeavours to set her end of the burden down as gently as possible, shooting Gustave a look of mild reproof.

"It will certainly be difficult to raise our sleeping passenger up to the manse otherwise," she muses; "And we certainly cannot leave him here at the mercy of those insects."

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:45 pm

ehiker133 wrote:
Desmond quietly puffs out a noise of disgust.

"I HAVE to carry this dead weight around with me every day," he jerks his head towards Mondes, "and you two complain about having to move some smelly dwarf a few hundred feet when we could have just left him where he was, all chained up and secure-like!"

He shakes his head.

"Just because we found out he was there, that didn't make him any more or less of a liability than yesterday, when he was still there but we just didn't know it. Now, on top of everything else, we have a smelly dwarf prisoner to care for - how did THAT improve our situation?"

He wanders over to the stone pedestal with the two buttons, mumbling something about leaving stinking dwarves where they lay.

"So is someone going to push this button here, or do you want me to do it?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:09 pm

danhem wrote:
"Centipedes are not insects, my dear," Ulric says to Josiane as he passes by her toward the platform, "and I do not see why you are all so eager to shrug this all away," he says gesturing to everything around them. "A giant animate clay golem, a larger iron golem under construction, chambers, halls, locked doors, and an ensorcelled dwarf locked in a cell. All of this lies beneath our supposed "safe" house and you all act as though we simply uncovered a basement full of moldy clothes that we should simply walk away from. This dwarf is our only way of learning what all of this means."

Ulric snorts as he sets himself to inspecting the platform and possible controls to determine how the thing works, if it still does.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:18 pm

sulldawga wrote:
Dorgan will head over to the pedestal, to offer any of his learned Dwarfish assistance as is needed.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:35 pm

doctorx wrote:
Josiane pointedly ignores the grumblings of the two-headed hobbit, maintaining a watch on the slumbering dwarf for any sign of his waking.

"We should be on our guard should we succeed in moving the platform," she says; "lest sound or vibration from it draw the attention of those... things."

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:59 pm

ehiker133 wrote:
"I'm not shrugging it away. I'm saying our villa is no safer with a sleeping dwarf under our care than it was with a sleeping dwarf chained up below! And I'm not the one who wants to leave the rest of this area unexplored, either!"

Desmond frowns. Twice.

"Seems to me that us leaving without knowing what else lies below is more dangerous than leaving a sleeping and magically chained dwarf where he was."

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:05 pm

coffee wrote:
"Enough talk!" Dieter says. "Meet me upstairs."

And with that, he sheathes his sword and hefts the strange dwarf in a fireman's carry. Then, uttering the command word for his ring, he leaps up the shaft to the top, still carrying the dwarf.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:19 pm

ehiker133 wrote:
Desmond clenches his teeth and settles into a quiet brooding.

He speaks no more and follows the rest of the group, whatever decision they make.

Return to “Hinterlands”