(013) The Gatehouse Dunjon

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:43 pm

tonneau wrote:
"I like your line of thinking Highbough", says Gustave with mischief in his tone.
"Enough of playing to their leads, its time we took the initiative."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:40 pm

tombowings wrote:
Pelenwin has memorized The Inviolable Tranquillity.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:21 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
The company plots and plans as the fighting-men don their armour and buckle on sword belts, and everyone stows their other goods and hefts their packs.

By this discussion it seems clear that everyone -- especially the freed prisoners -- favours returning to the outside world.

What will be your marching order?

Do you intend to carry out the treasure? If so, who will do the lifting? Each chest can be carried by two strong Men, or else the loot can be divided into your own carrying containers and divided more evenly.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:58 am

heartless wrote:
"Shall we place the treasure in the backpacks of our fallen, and our own as well to carry or else we will not be alert to fight if need be. Lets make stretchers that one person can drag or two people can carry to bring our dead outside when its safe after Highbough bluff, along with their goods to place on the cart", suggests Padrig.

OOC: I assume we used our dead comrades food and water last night before our own supplies. Is there any food in the ogre lair we can deem eatable, or small cooking pans/pans/spoons to take also?

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:23 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
heartless wrote:OOC: I assume we used our dead comrades food and water last night before our own supplies. Is there any food in the ogre lair we can deem eatable, or small cooking pans/pans/spoons to take also?
Anwyn and Michele each carried dry supplies good for much of a week. You are free to take these, and the other goods of the fallen, when you depart.

The Ogres' hoard contains a considerable stash of victuals for the indescriminant diner. There is a barrel half full of salted and dried lizards, fish, snakes and toads -- the smell of which is nearly enough to turn a Man's (or an Elf's) gullet. Also there are the skinned carcasses of two goats, an alligator, and two unfortunate Men not looking in the least well preserved. And stacked against the wall behind these is a large basket containing dry loaves of a grey bread and a half eaten wheel of a hard, but none the less pongy cheese. Beside this pile stand two small kegs of a coarse liquor and a larger barrel of a crude beer, and a large open crate containing a considerable supply of grubby root vegetables.

Their cooking pots and pans are limited to one flat pan, a pot (which was used to prepare the poridge) and a large cauldron (presently in the front passage). All are crude, over-sized, and of a heavy black iron. The pot and pan weigh 1/2 stone each, the cauldron is very heavy and bulky...

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:36 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
There are more than enough coins in the Ogres' loot to entirely fill six back-packs and weigh 25 stone.

All the company's strong fighting-men are already carrying as much as they can without being encumbered -- and their packs are near full of gear and supplies. Even with the pack of Anwyn and Michele, the company won't easily be able to transport the loot...

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:36 pm

mushgnome wrote:
"My philosophy teaches that our corporeal bodies are but a crude vessel for the immortal Spirit that animates them for a brief time on this Earth," lectures Highbough. "Let not our concern for the fallen blind us to the very real and immediate threat to our lives. We have no idea what faces us when we open this door!"

"What if we torch the entire contents of this chamber (coins excepted) as a funeral pyre for your fallen friends (alas that I did not know them in this lifetime) and these two anonymous Men? In this way, they may aid us one more time from beyond the grave, creating a great, smoking diversion to further anger and confuse the enemy as they smell their food and liquor go up in flames!"

"As for the Ogres' massive iron cauldron, I for one would take great satisfaction in noisily rolling it down the staircase as part of our plan..."

"However I think our first order of business is to find out what awaits us beyond this door. We should verify whether the way is clear before we leave this fortified position and undertake the transport of this bulky coin. I have spent far too long in this putrid chamber!"

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:11 pm

danhem wrote:
"Yes, a funeral pyre would be most fitting," Ulric says after finishing his meal. "That is how my people leave this world. My father and brother were sent to the next world on a great bonfire." Ulric's eyes grow distant for a moment then he refocuses on the grisly room around him. "In this manner we may also deny the ogres their supplies adding to their desire to come outside and face us in the open. We have an ample supply of oil to produce a fine fire."

"Let's keep the coins in the chests. They will be easier to carry that way and can be quickly dropped when the fighting starts."

Ulric shoulder his heavy backpack and satchel, buckles his sword belt and signals his readiness.

"Let me travel near the front of the group where I can bring my magic to bear if needed. I have an enchantment that I can use to open doors from a distance as well as my ability to hurl fire at the faces of the ogres."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:19 pm

tombowings wrote:
"I would be willing, with one other, to remain her and guard the loot while the rest of you make a trip up the caravan," says Pelenwin.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:03 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
A funeral pyre could easily be constructed from the Ogres' sleeping palates and supplies. It would create a grand bonfire indeed...

Return to “Hinterlands”