(013) The Gatehouse Dunjon

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:21 pm

eris wrote:
Olaf stretches, surprised to be feeling so well after being felled by the foul Ogre yesterday.

"Good morn comrades!" he says with a smile, "I could do with some victuals to break my fast."

"I seem to have left most of my supplies with the cart." Olaf says as he rummages through his bag, "I wonder how our comrades outside fared with horse and cart through this long night?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:44 pm

mushgnome wrote:
Highbough has never acquired a taste for the cuisine of Men. A few crumbs of Elvish waybread will suffice to nourish his stick-thin body. While the others prepare their breakfast, he rises to address the group:

"Now we must plan our strategy for the battle to come. You may think Ogres stupid, but beware their cunning! They have knowledge of these tunnels at their advantage, as well as dogs, smoke bombs, traps, and, possibly, non-Ogrish allies. The fact they did not attempt to kill us in our sleep tells me they are patient, a rare and dangerous trait among their kind."

"Our advantage lies in the diversity of our talents. We must work together, Elf, Dwarf, and Man, if we are to prevail against this vile enemy. To die as a warrior is a great honor among my kin, but to vanquish the foe and live to fight another day is a greater honor still!"

"My people have a children's game; the name it translates, roughly: Blade, Parchment, Stone. In this game, Stone cannot defeat Stone. Let us meditate upon this as we prepare for the Hunt."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:23 pm

verhaden wrote:
Mads the Fair

"I say we first check back on the surface to ensure the honesty of our hired hands, Fix and Boris. Our cart's too valuable not to."

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:36 am

heartless wrote:
"Yes Highbough I agree, we need to work together with our skills to defeat these ogres and find Caine's body," says Pardig. "I've seem to many deaths from lack of arranging our attacks and searches together. An arbalest bolt in the back is one I do not want to repeat again!"

"I also think we should check on our friends outside, as Olaf suggests, to make sure Victor, Boris, Fix are okay. I propose we take our brave dead Anwyn, Flewellen, and Michele and bury them outside also this morning. We owe them this at least for their sacifice last night", demands Padrig looking at everyone in the eye.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:31 am

tombowings wrote:
Pelenwin nods in agreement. "Let us press on to the surface. I have yet to see sunlight in days."

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:34 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Which mantra does Pelenwin wish to have memorised during this morning's period of introspection?

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:38 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
eris wrote:"I seem to have left most of my supplies with the cart." Olaf says as he rummages through his bag
In fact Mads, Dieter, Olaf, Ulric and Padrig have all left their supplies outside with the wagon team.

Gustave, Thorgrim, Andaros and Pelenwin are carrying more than enough supplies to go around, however.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:44 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Now Pelenwin gathers what supplies are available to the company and attempts to put together a stew in the least filthy of the Ogres' old pots.

It isn't a sumptuous meal by any measure, in fact it is more of a coarse porridge than a stew, comprising dried fruit and grains with a spot of honey all boiling up in some unfresh water. However, it is warm and goes a long way toward filling empty stomachs.

Highbough chooses not to indulge in the stodgy fare, preferring instead his light and almost tasteless way bread.

With the morning meal seen to, it is surely time to move on...

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:45 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Gentlemen, what shall be the new marching order?

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:46 pm

mushgnome wrote:
Highbough ponders for a minute and says, "I agree with the decision to venture outside, if only for strategic reasons. If a showdown with the Ogres is coming, I would rather face them in daylight out in the open than in these cramped, dingy tunnels they call home."

"But let us think for a moment... Do not assume we can simply march out the front door unopposed carrying the Ogres' cash box! It is likely our enemy has prepared a trap for us, or posted a sentry."

"Nay, I propose we use the Ogres' very greed as a weapon against them. Let the stoutest and bravest among us make a great clamor, boasting of our easy victory and tempting the Ogres with the jangle of silver and copper coins. Meanwhile, a second group will lurk in the shadows with arrows, burning oil, and sorcery, to surprise our quarry and flush them into the open. Once the enemy is outside these walls, I shall bar the doorway with magic so they cannot retreat back into the safety of their lair."

Highbough stands to his full, imposing height and draws his wickedly-runed Elven blade. "My sword is as thirsty for blood as yours! But let the final battle be at the time and place of our choosing, when the advantage is ours! If you must defend yourself, strike to wound, taunt, and anger, not to kill. Then, fall back and goad the enemy into showing his true stupidity! Above all, do not confront the Ogres head-on in the tight confines of the passageways, where we cannot bring our superior numbers to bear. We CAN win this battle without losses, or my name is not HIGHBOUGH THE CYPHER!!!"

Return to “Hinterlands”