(045) Crags and Foothills

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:23 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
While the coming gather around the strange well and discuss bottles and drinking horns, then day wears on.

It is early afternoon.

If the Sisters' information was good, the abbey in question should have been a couple of days march from Ket. With luck you might hope to reach it before nightfall...

Or you could make a camp here by the well.

What to do?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:11 pm

doctorx wrote:
O.O.C: I think the only containers we have hold water or lantern oil. We could always sacrifice one of the latter if we're desperate for a sample of the well water?

Alternatively, might we not pick some up on the way back if when we return from the abbey? [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

Josiane, (returning to Murphy with a grateful smile to Dorgan), is keen to press on. She wants a look at this holy place and the trouble that besets it.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:24 pm

danhem wrote:
"Quite right," Ulric says to Josiane. "We may find some bottle or other item in this abbey. I think that we should press on to the abbey."

Ulric turns to Envongr. Looking into the man's dull eyes he wonders if he understands what he intends to do at all.

"Do not worry," Ulric says. "We will do our best to help you. Come along."

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:11 pm

ehiker133 wrote:
Desmond spits on the ground near the well, mumbling something about being d**ned if HE is going to drink from it first...

He happily continues on to the abbey with the others.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:01 pm

sulldawga wrote:
"I should think, if'n the Sisters information was true, that we're close to the abbey. I also think that showing up there at the end of the day, being all tired from the walk, and mebbe having to fight whatever's in there already, ain't such a good idea."

Dorgan huffs through his mustaches, and continues.

"We oughtta go a little further and find a spot well away from the abbey to camp out. Then mebbe we can scout it out afore we make our way inside. Whatta ya all think a' that?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:11 pm

verhaden wrote:
Torben

"I agree with Dorgan," Torben nods. "The Hinterlands are accustomed to strange things -- what if this abbey is bolstered by the night of dark?" He casts a quick glance towards his glove.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:07 pm

eris wrote:
ehiker133 wrote:Desmond spits on the ground near the well, mumbling something about being d**ned if HE is going to drink from it first...

He happily continues on to the abbey with the others.
Olaf agrees with Desmond. The well might have pure water, but looking at Envongr, he doubts it...and he doesn't need any more problems of that kind.

"Let's move along. The Abbey shouldn't be too far ahead. I'd like to get there before nightfall so we can have all of tomorrow to explore it." Olaf says, "We can always grab a sample of this water on our return trip, if we really want to."

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:12 pm

eris wrote:
sulldawga wrote:"I should think, if'n the Sisters information was true, that we're close to the abbey. I also think that showing up there at the end of the day, being all tired from the walk, and mebbe having to fight whatever's in there already, ain't such a good idea."

Dorgan huffs through his mustaches, and continues.

"We oughtta go a little further and find a spot well away from the abbey to camp out. Then mebbe we can scout it out afore we make our way inside. Whatta ya all think a' that?"
"Good idea." Olaf nods, "I think we should get close enough so that, if we can, we can scout it out before dark, but not try to enter it today...and certainly not tonight. And yes, we shouldn't try to camp right next to the Abbey. You know as well as I, that something foul and evil will have occupied it by now."

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:58 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
So with some discussion, the company decide to press on.

The same marching order is adopted, with Olaf and Guntram scouting ahead, and Highbough keeping a wizened eye on the lands behind.

A meager meal is made of dried rations as you march, and the warm afternoon passes by as do scores of minor crests, broken boulders, and thatches of wiry heath in the lands about.

By late afternoon you have been climbing steadily for some hours, and are deep into the foothills. You have not encountered a stream or water source since the well, nor seen any appreciable game.

As the day cools and the ribbons of cloud in the sky are beginning to colour toward dusk, Olaf spots a structure in the shadow of the Highlands ahead. It appears to be a stoutly walled, square shaped building perhaps less than a quarter mile off. Surely, this must be the abbey?

A thin wisp of smoke rises from a lone cook fire, either in the abbey, or beyond it.

Night is approaching.

What to do?

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:15 pm

eris wrote:
"With night approaching, I think we should move back into the lee of this hill and find a place to camp." Olaf says, "The area ahead is populated with some type of creatures that use fire, and that's likely to be Goblins, Orcs or bandits of some type given where we are. So, let's not get closer until tomorrow."

"Once we've set up a secure camp, a scouting party could try getting nearer to see what they can see, if we think that's a good idea, but I'd rather whoever is up there doesn't know anyone is out here before morning."

Return to “Hinterlands”