(023) Breakfast at Saxxon's

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 07, 2011 9:54 am

tonneau wrote:
"Right then...", mutters Gustave to himself then, tilting his head toward Victor and Ulric whispers, "I dont think my little ruse is going to come off, lets try to take them at the gate."

He turns back to the gate, and with his most beaming grin, says"Silver you say? Well I think old Saxxon has more than that stored down below. Alas we dont have time to go digging for loot, but it sounds like that might suit you fine. Just make sure you finish that scumbag off".
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 07, 2011 12:38 pm

danhem wrote:
"Oh well," Ulric sighs. "Here we go again. Stand back and be ready."

Ulric begins to speak the soft, slithering words of the Somnolence focusing on the concentration of hobgoblins at the gate.

OOC: Hopefully this will go better than the first time I tried this.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 07, 2011 2:00 pm

heartless wrote:
Wibert gets ready to fire arrows down on the hobgoblin leader's head. "I hope they have some breakfast for our troubles this day", whispers Wibert to only those who stand next to him.
waysoftheearth wrote: Where indeed? Dieter hurries back to the mess hall, where the majority of the company's packs, gear and supplies are spread about the place. As are the two large chests from the Ogre Keep across the ravine...

With what magic will he haul them, let alone hide them?

Boris, Mads, Highbough and Andaros are still in the mess.
"Where is everyone, this could get messy!", whispers Wibert.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 07, 2011 5:12 pm

eris wrote:
ehiker133 wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:Olaf leads Koch and Wibert up the nearest flight of steps (those in the north-west tower) -- for reaching any of the other stair would mean crossing the courtyard in plain view of all those at the gate.

The tower stair is narrow, cold and dim. The stairs are steep and treacherous with wet from the overnight rain, but long-limbed Olaf scales them with sure footed haste... short legged Wibert, as ever, finds himself falling behind.

Olaf has reach the shut overhead trapdoor at the top of the stair. Koch is close behind, and Wibert is a little way back...
Desmond would follow Wibert, thinking he could probably be most effective by dropping stones on top of hobgoblin heads than doing anything else.
Olaf starts to reach for the closed overhead door, then stops, "Did anyone trap these doors last night? I seem to remember somebody did, and I don't want to open it and have something fall on my head."

He will examine it closely before attempting to open the trapdoor. If it looks like it isn't trapped from the inside, he'll push it up and go out on the parapet atop the walls and move over to where he can get a shot at the enemy below.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun May 08, 2011 12:11 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Here is an overview of the situation:

``````````````````````````````````
```````````````````````````````````
````############===############````
````#()..#...............#..II#````
````#....#---------------#....#````
````######.#####===#####.######````
````#..|...#........%%%#...|..#````
````#..|...(.........%%)..M|..#````
````#..|...#...........#...|.H#````
````#..|...|...........|..D|..#````
````#..|...#...........#A..|..#````
````#..|...(....V.U....)...B..#````
````#..|...#.....G.....#...|..#````
````######.#####%.%#####.######````
````#....#-----#+++#-----#....#````
````#()..#.....#g.g#.....#.(*)#````
````############g..############````
`````````````````Cg````````````````
`S``````````````g``````````````````
E+W````````````````g```````````````
`N````````````g``g````g`g``````````
`````````````````gg`g``````````````

g Hobgoblin
C Hobgoblin Captain

G Gustave
U Ulric
V Victor
M Mads
D Dieter
A Andaros
B Boris
H Highbough
* Olaf, Koch, Wibert, Desmond (in the stair well)

%% Junk/rubble
++ Portcullis
II Chimney Stack
() Trapdoor

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun May 08, 2011 12:12 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
The North West Stair
heartless wrote:Wibert gets ready to fire arrows down on the hobgoblin leader's head. "I hope they have some breakfast for our troubles this day", whispers Wibert to only those who stand next to him.
Wibert is still in the stair well, behind Koch and Olaf. Olaf is just now looking at opening the trapdoor that opens onto the battlements...

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun May 08, 2011 12:24 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
The North West Stair
eris wrote:Olaf starts to reach for the closed overhead door, then stops, "Did anyone trap these doors last night? I seem to remember somebody did, and I don't want to open it and have something fall on my head."

He will examine it closely before attempting to open the trapdoor. If it looks like it isn't trapped from the inside, he'll push it up and go out on the parapet atop the walls and move over to where he can get a shot at the enemy below.
Olaf can see the grey daylight in the gap between the two trap doors. Right in the center, where the two hatches meet, the light is blotted out by what appears to by a large stone (1ft across). If he were to open the trapdoor, there is every chance the stone will tumble into the steep stair well...

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun May 08, 2011 12:46 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
The Front Gate
danhem wrote:Ulric begins to speak the soft, slithering words of the Somnolence focusing on the concentration of hobgoblins at the gate.
Ulric steps up to the gate, his eyes copper-bright and the harsh draconic syllables writhing off his flayed tongue. The hobgoblins labouring with the heavy rocks look up with startled expressions as Ulric flings his splayed fingers forth and tears a wide arc through the air before him.

The air instantly bursts into hot orange and blue flame where ever his acursed hand does pass! The hobgoblins shriek and cover their faces as they attempt to flee the horrid burning, but alas for them the nearest (1d6=5) five cannot escape and are enveloped in the fire!

(five rolls of 1dd+1; 5, 4, 4, 6, (the Captain) 3)

The carnage is horrible. The nearest three soldiers are burned utterly black by the searing flames, and are charred corpses before they can even turn to escape the gate arch. A forth Hobgoblin and the Captain were somewhat shielded by their fellows and manage to escape the inferno with non-fatal burns, 4 and 3 hit points respectively.

"Pull back -- it's the necromancer! Pull back!" bellow the Captain to his men, and they hasten to oblige.

There is now a disturbing smell of burnt flesh and the hiss of still smouldering corpses in the gate arch. But the work at lifting the portcullis has ceased in no uncertain terms. For now.

What next?

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun May 08, 2011 1:11 am

ehiker133 wrote:
Desmond fidgets, "What's that shouting? Hurry, we've got to get up there and help them!"

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun May 08, 2011 1:17 am

tonneau wrote:
Gustave is unable to suppress an eyebrow raise at the carnage the pours unexpectedly from Ulrics fingers. He purses his lips and draws his sword, still managing to quip, "And I thought they smelled bad uncooked".

Wary of archers, he joins Ulric the gate, ready to defend any breach the goblins have worked through their rock hauling endevours.

He surveys the smoking corpses behind the porticullis, noting "I never knew you had it in you old man".

Return to “Hinterlands”