(055) Wildwood/The Ivory Wold

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:58 am

Re: (055) Wildwood/The Ivory Wold

OOC: what is our party's travel rate in leagues?
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:08 am

ehiker133 wrote:OOC: what is our party's travel rate in leagues?
This depends on the terrain.

In good going, assuming a 9" move rate (for unencumbered dwarfs/halflings), you can sustain 9 miles (3 leagues) per day more or less indefinitely. Using a good road would add 3". In difficult going (i.e., heavy rain, the Hinterlands) movement rate is halved.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by danhem » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:50 am

"I think moving on the gates of Zuzyag may be the ideal move," Ulric suggests in council. "I can prepare a spell to lock the gate against anyone other than a wizard of equal power and the proper arcane knowledge. Shutting those gates and cutting off the army in Ket from their base of strength would be a great advantage."

"Whichever way we go we should prepare to leave soon. One more day may be all we can afford."

OOC: Ulric will study Witch Lock.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:03 am

danhem wrote:"I think moving on the gates of Zuzyag may be the ideal move," Ulric suggests in council. "I can prepare a spell to lock the gate against anyone other than a wizard of equal power and the proper arcane knowledge. Shutting those gates and cutting off the army in Ket from their base of strength would be a great advantage."
Gallaine advises that the "Gate of Zuzyag" isn't literally one gate. It is more properly a gateway--a Goblin stronghold brooding over a narrow defile between rugged mountains. All traffic from Hezmog and the upper Hinterlands, thru to Gzum-Atog, Ket, and the lowlands must generally pass thru/by Zuzyag--or else take a far more circuitous route.

Throttling traffic thru Zuzyag would impede the Goblins, and effectively divided their forces in two. But doing so would not prevent forces already stationed at Gzum-Atog from reaching Ket.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:19 am

After studying the maps and general locations of everything in relation to everything else, Desmond finally suggests, "My vote is for Gzum-Atog. I say hit them where it hurts the most - their base of operations. This also leaves us in a better position for returning to Ket, if our actions draw enough goblin forces away, or then launching an assault on Zuzyag, if we feel strong enough and want to further disrupt the occupation of Ket."
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:52 am

Here's a mud-map to help visualise the geography:
  Code:
.E.........................
N+S..................X.....
.W.................Hezmog..
...................X.......
................Zuzyag.....
..................X........
South......X.....Gzum......
..X......Abbey...Atog......
watch......................
.........X.................
....X....Ruin..............
...Ket.....................

Post by flightcommander » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:17 am

Returning from the Quartermaster's storeroom with a handful of stationery supplies, Armando eyeballs a pageful of schematics in Highbough's Gholem Manual with interest. He slows to a silent creep and peers closer over the Elf's shoulder ... can he make heads or tails of the diagrams in this tome? If not he returns to his things and packs his new-bought goods.
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]

Post by sully » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:31 pm

ehiker133 wrote:After studying the maps and general locations of everything in relation to everything else, Desmond finally suggests, "My vote is for Gzum-Atog. I say hit them where it hurts the most - their base of operations. This also leaves us in a better position for returning to Ket, if our actions draw enough goblin forces away, or then launching an assault on Zuzyag, if we feel strong enough and want to further disrupt the occupation of Ket."
Dorgan agrees with Des. "Hittin' this outpost will disrupt their line a' supply, while givin' us a path a' retreat if'n we need to get the hell out a' there quickly. If'n we go any deeper inta gobbo territory, we could easily become trapped."
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by sully » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:49 pm

Dorgan begins to scratch his beard, deep in thought for a moment or two.

"Mebbe there's another way. The elves saw The Boar heading east, into the Hinterlands. If'n we could track him down, we'd have a powerful group combined, and could do some real damage. Plus we'd definitely be safer from any packs a' worgs and riders. The trip back ta Southwatch after we attack the gobbos is what's got me bothered."
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by danhem » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:26 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:Gallaine advises that the "Gate of Zuzyag" isn't literally one gate. It is more properly a gateway--a Goblin stronghold brooding over a narrow defile between rugged mountains. All traffic from Hezmog and the upper Hinterlands, thru to Gzum-Atog, Ket, and the lowlands must generally pass thru/by Zuzyag--or else take a far more circuitous route.

Throttling traffic thru Zuzyag would impede the Goblins, and effectively divided their forces in two. But doing so would not prevent forces already stationed at Gzum-Atog from reaching Ket.
"Very well then," Ulric says with some disappointment. "It did seem too easy. I'll put my vote to hitting Gzum-Atog then."

"Finding The Boar may be worthwhile Dorgan, but I wonder how long that would take amongst the Hinterlands. One week? Two weeks? More? Also on our first meeting he did not seem too concerned with assisting Ket. He seemed more driven toward his own personal glory."

OOC: Ah well. I had pictured something akin to the Black Gate. Ulric will spend day 6 studying Web instead.

Return to “Hinterlands”