(039) Dusk 'Til Dawn

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:02 pm

(039) Dusk 'Til Dawn

danhem wrote:
Ulric finishes transcribing the glyphs from the scroll to his Grimoire then leans back smiling. More knowledge. More power.

Ulric carefully closes the Grimoire and returns the scrolls to their copper tube. He places his three books, the scroll tube, and the Hinterlands map into his satchel and straps it around his neck and shoulder. Never to leave his sight.

He then places his coins, sword, copper flask, and the strange powders and liquids from Flewellen into his iron strongbox and locks it.

Collecting the wooden box containing the rot grub and his dagger, Ulric journeys downstairs in search of food and wine.

OOC: Ways, on my character sheet I marked off 2 days of fresh rations for the day plus one flask of oil for the time in the crypt.

OOC: Regarding Flewellen's spell scrolls: I assume that I can cast the spell directly from the scroll as well, but would consume the scroll in the process.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:46 pm

(039) Dusk 'Til Dawn

waysoftheearth wrote:
The Jolly Noose
(Gustave, Dorgan, Desmond/Mondes)

The trio wander the busy streets a while, remarking on Goblinkind in general as they seek a provisioner of meals and niceties. It is somewhat after noon before they locate an establishment called The Jolly Noose. It is an inn frequented mainly by merchants and their entourages, but also by Men looking for employment with such.

It overlooks the bustling market square and seems to be modestly well appointed. The food smells fantastic, and mugs of beer, carafes of wine and platters of grapes and cheeses are served to the patrons by several attractive young ladies.

In short, it is an ideal place to repast and consider what to do next...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:50 pm

(039) Dusk 'Til Dawn

waysoftheearth wrote:
The Cloister
(Josiane)

"You misunderstand, once-sister. Your weapons cannot enter in, and nor will I take any responsibility for them. You must abandon them outside if you wish to enter. Your doublet I can permit, if you will wrap yourself in a cloak."

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:53 pm

(039) Dusk 'Til Dawn

waysoftheearth wrote:
danhem wrote: OOC: Ways, on my character sheet I marked off 2 days of fresh rations for the day plus one flask of oil for the time in the crypt.
Very good.
danhem wrote: OOC: Regarding Flewellen's spell scrolls: I assume that I can cast the spell directly from the scroll as well, but would consume the scroll in the process.
Assuming it is a spell Ulric already knows (i.e., has solved), then yes. Otherwise, invoking an unknown spell requires a die roll, which will result in either; successful casting, nothing at all, or a backfire.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:11 pm

(039) Dusk 'Til Dawn

ehiker133 wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote: The fat Goblin sniffs down his nose at Dorgan and Desmond/Mondes.

"You should choose your company with care," he remarks snidely as he picks up the coin and examines it in detail with a telescopic eye piece, "Dwarves cannot be trusted."
Sitting at a table in the Jolly Noose, Desmond stares down at the table, appearing both quiet and moody (as per his namesake). He lifts his head with a start...

"Hey, wait a second... did that gobby back there call me a dwarf?? (No offense, Dorgan.)" He shakes his head, only slightly perceptibly, with his head covered by the thick hood.

"I bet he smelled Mondes..." he hisses.

"Speaking of smells... let's eat. I'm hungry."

When the waitress comes around, he'll order the special of the day for lunch, whatever that may be.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:28 pm

(039) Dusk 'Til Dawn

doctorx wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:The Cloister
(Josiane)

"You misunderstand, once-sister. Your weapons cannot enter in, and nor will I take any responsibility for them. You must abandon them outside if you wish to enter. Your doublet I can permit, if you will wrap yourself in a cloak."
Josiane bites her lip, thinking most unsaintly thoughts about the pedantry of nuns and the religious houses they inhabit.

She looks around. Is there anywhere nearby she is happy she could conceal her arms and armour in relative safety?

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:07 pm

(039) Dusk 'Til Dawn

danhem wrote:
Ulric goes in search of Bennug as well as food for himself and his 'pet.'

Finding the old goblin, Ulric inquires first about the state of the houses food stores and supplies then about guards for the household.

"We will be in need of two or three fighting men to watch the front gate and patrol the grounds; particularly when we are away on business. Do you have any recommendations on where we can find such men?"

OOC: See PM.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:09 pm

(039) Dusk 'Til Dawn

eris wrote:
Once Josiane is gone Olaf rests in the chair for a while, but soon grows bored with that and rises and walks around the house, then out into the enclosed yard and circles the house observing the state of the wall and grounds surrounding the house. Once that is done he will go back inside and look around to see who among the party is still here.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:30 pm

(039) Dusk 'Til Dawn

mushgnome wrote:
Highbough has returned and is eager to talk strategy with Olaf, whose strength may be diminished but whose military counsel is wise.

To refresh everyone's memory: The fireplaces in our grand ballroom and dining hall conceal secret doors with down staircases. These stairways are narrow; an armored Man cannot squeeze through (but our Elf/Dwarf/Hobbit team had no problem moving single file, and a Goblin would probably feel right at home). Below is a cluttered basement that starts out as a narrow space cluttered with crates. The far end widens into a rough and unfinished dirt cellar, and there's a shaft with a rotting ladder leading down. Dorgan flushed out a giant centipede and we retreated rather than fight; Desmond saw many holes indicating there could be a whole nest of the crawlies.

We'll need to clear out the nest, perhaps with fire, and secure the cellar so we have a staging area for the fighters to don their armor. Then we'll need to fix the ladder to safely descend to the lower level (and perhaps the dwarf can build a pulley/rope contraption to haul up all the treasure). It will be important to use both stairways and avoid traffic jams and fighting in tight quarters.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:47 am

(039) Dusk 'Til Dawn

sulldawga wrote:
ehiker133 wrote:Sitting at a table in the Jolly Noose, Desmond stares down at the table, appearing both quiet and moody (as per his namesake). He lifts his head with a start...

"Hey, wait a second... did that gobby back there call me a dwarf?? (No offense, Dorgan.)" He shakes his head, only slightly perceptibly, with his head covered by the thick hood.

"I bet he smelled Mondes..." he hisses.
Dorgan looks sideways at Desmond. "I assure ya, friend, ain't no one mistakin' you fer a dwarf, by sight or smell."
waysoftheearth wrote:The Jolly Noose
(Gustave, Dorgan, Desmond/Mondes)

It is somewhat after noon before they locate an establishment called The Jolly Noose. It is an inn frequented mainly by merchants and their entourages, but also by Men looking for employment with such.
The dwarf will keep his eyes open for any hint of a potential patron with a job. It pains him to be reduced to selling fine tobacco for coin just to eat.
waysoftheearth wrote:The food smells fantastic, and mugs of beer, carafes of wine and platters of grapes and cheeses are served to the patrons by several attractive young ladies.
Dorgan will order a mug of beer and some cheese.

Return to “Hinterlands”