(01) The Approach

Waysoftheearth's Wyrmspear PBP

Post by sully » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:36 am

Re: (01) The Approach

It did seem a little easy but I like how smart roleplaying is rewarded. And using the Sleep scroll now means it's not available down the line so... we'll see if we regret that choice.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:06 pm

I mean... _I_ assumed there was a proper moat monster and had no intention of ending up in it. Especially after you suggested jumping into the moat to avoid missile fire. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll be the first to admit I'm not really used to heroic combat like this. But it makes so many movie scenes make more sense. Take, for example, LOTR where Aragorn finds Frodo among the stone remnants of a previous civilization. Then Sting glows and Aragorn just... destroys... a number of Urukai, usually with a single thrust or swipe of his sword. Once I get that visual in my head as a reference for heroes fighting fodder, it's easier to see it in the game.

Let's not forget to search for treasure when appropriate, team. NPCs in WOTE's games tend to hide their loot. It's not always hidden well, but it's usually at least out of sight.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by Tonneau » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:55 am

sully wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:36 am
It did seem a little easy but I like how smart roleplaying is rewarded. And using the Sleep scroll now means it's not available down the line so... we'll see if we regret that choice.
I did hold off on this as long as possible for that reason, but the imminent pin-cushion-ing of several fighter types forced my hand...
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by sully » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:17 am

Tonneau wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:55 am
I did hold off on this as long as possible for that reason, but the imminent pin-cushion-ing of several fighter types forced my hand...
It was the right call. There's no point in saving the scroll for Encounter 2 if you don't live through Encounter 1!
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:54 am

ehiker133 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:06 pm
I mean... _I_ assumed there was a proper moat monster and had no intention of ending up in it. Especially after you suggested jumping into the moat to avoid missile fire. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:roll:

ehiker133 wrote:
I'll be the first to admit I'm not really used to heroic combat like this. But it makes so many movie scenes make more sense. Take, for example, LOTR where Aragorn finds Frodo among the stone remnants of a previous civilization. Then Sting glows and Aragorn just... destroys... a number of Urukai, usually with a single thrust or swipe of his sword. Once I get that visual in my head as a reference for heroes fighting fodder, it's easier to see it in the game.
Bing! That's exactly it. Normal men are no match for heroes. Unless there are 80 of them.

ehiker133 wrote:
NPCs in WOTE's games tend to hide their loot. It's not always hidden well, but it's usually at least out of sight. I can confirm that one is straight out of OD&D, which suggests: Unguarded treasures should be invisible, hidden behind a secret door, or under the floor, locked in hard to open strong boxes ... (There are many other variants of the above possible, ...) so that's the way we roll here :)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Return to “Wyrmspear”