The Ninth Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by mushgnome » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:48 pm

Re: The Ninth Adventure

Willie swings mightily, but his hammer glances off the stone face. It glares at him and keeps on screaming!
(To hit vs. AC 2 d20=7, miss.)

As if energized by the screaming, the circular saw blade spins faster and levitates off the floor...

Robur picks up the backpack and heads for the exit. He can examine the contents once the party is safe.

Does anyone claim the sword?

Unless someone specifically states otherwise, I will assume the entire party exits as quickly as possible, back up the ramp to area #2.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by rredmond » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:39 pm

Even though he can't use it, he figures other's can (and if it isn't out of his way :) ), Noh will grab the sword on the way.
Hopefully not cursed/trapped, and hopefully worth some XP.
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by mushgnome » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:25 pm

Douglas the NPC hireling is not okay with Noh's plan. He shouts to be heard over the screaming stone face: "NOOO!!! Druids can't use magic swords. I'm taking it it."

Douglas lunges for the sword simultaneously with Noh. Will Noh play tug-of-war or will he let Douglas claim the 'precious'?
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:13 pm

Dougal, who is closest to the sword, tries to pick it up before anyone else can. If he's too late, he responds to Douglas's cry by helping Noh acquire the sword.

"Why are you such a pain in our arses, Douglas?" Dougal cries as he tries to pin the hireling's arms to his side.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:56 pm

OOC: I am starting a new campaign on odd74 forum. As a special offer, for those who have gamed with me before, you can, if you choose, reactive your old PCs! (Scaled down a bit, if necessary, to fit a low-level party.) Yes that even includes Chainmail Carcosa charcters, @ehiker133, @kipper, @waysoftheearth

https://odd74.proboards.com/thread/1570 ... wastelands

Post by rredmond » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:32 pm

Confused by the to-do, Noh will support Dougal's attempt to get the sword first, or in any resulting tug-of-war; making sure Carc is safe all the while.
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:50 pm

Dougal grabs the sword and Robur has the backpack.

Dougal, Douglas, and Noh (great name for a law firm!) are the last three to run out of the death zone. They hear a loud iron 'clang' behind them as the levitating saw blade slams into the wall where they were standing moments earlier! With the screams of the stone face echoing in their ears, the hobbets hurry down the tunnel and regroup in area #2.

Robur searches the backpack and finds 200gp.

Dougal gives the sword a test-swing, and discovers it is poorly-balanced. When he tries to put it down, it sticks to his hand!

(1d6=3) Despite all the racket doubling the odds of an encounter, there are no wandering monsters this turn.

Not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but the spider-stricken giant sloth is gone.

Post by mushgnome » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:57 pm

OOC: I dropped a 'blink and you miss it' clue about the cursed sword:
mushgnome wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:49 am
the skeleton... chop-attack with the magic sword in its right hand. (1d20=12-1=11, miss)
Tough luck Ethan, but if it had to be anyone, I'm glad it's you. You've always been the 'Mikey likes it' of our gaming circle! :)

Post by rredmond » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:54 pm

I thought the skeleton was just weak! Actually, I blinked ;)
At least Dougal can use it, I'm assuming Noh would be at some sort of weapons deficiency as well?

Post by mushgnome » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:31 pm

Yeah I had a moment of DM anxiety when Noh reached for the sword. Not only would Noh be useless in combat (druids simply can't use magic swords; they are forbidden), but an argument could be made, he might not be able to cast spells without having his hands free. It might have been amusing, but I was extremely hesitant to open that can of worms.

Having the NPC Douglas lunge for it seemed like the least awkward solution. Hobbets are canonically fond of shiny, precious, cursed items, so I don't think it's too far a 'stretch' that an impulsive NPC would be tempted to make a play for the sword. From his perspective, it didn't look like any of the party fighters wanted it.

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”