The Eighth Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by Bastet1002 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:46 pm

Re: The Eighth Adventure

Robur pays the 1 gp for a small room, and would like the modest room #12 as long as Dame Simonetta does not claim it. He also offers to pay for his two NPC friends, and would like a broom to sweep the floors upstairs. Also see PM.
Last edited by Bastet1002 on Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Robur Boulderhill, Hobbit Fighter 1 / Druid 1 / Thief 1 (MV 12", AC 6 - w/ shield, , HP 7) leather, wood shield, cudgel, sling, Hobbit stiletto, boots high hard, hooded cloak, backpack, scroll cure lit. wound + wat breath, Background: Mead maker

Post by kipper » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:47 pm

OOC: I have never played T1 before, so the town and the way it functions is completely unfamiliar to me.

Dame Simonetta will keep 234.8gp in small coins for miscellaneous expenses, and convert 2600gp to jewellery and gems (do you need me to specify the exact items?).

She will claim "Room 2" on the map, as it is the only suite available.

She is also now on the lookout for servants, she wants to hire one or two full-time if she can find any.

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:43 pm

Dougal would take Room 1 upstairs.
I'd like to hear the answer about magic items being purchased before I convert gold.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by dtspurrier » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:14 pm

bilfur will stay with the druid if possible

Post by mgtremaine » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:41 pm

Kiplyn would explore the rooms upstairs, he'd choose room 12 as it provides a lot of space from the main staircase. He do an inventory and check out if it has locking door and figure out any good place to hide things in the room.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by Bastet1002 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:52 am

"I'm sorry Kiplyn," says Robur blocking the entrance to room 12 with his broom. "But I was here first..."

The friendly manners of the owners surprised Robur, but they still gave him no clear answers about the dumped barrels of excellent wine and mead. He really wants room 12 to set up his base of operations, and once he gets Kiplyn to leave, he will check the owners' rooms using the door at the end of the hall. (He will use the thieving skills moving silently going there and while looking around for papers and such for anything that might be a little suspicious.) If he is somehow gets caught, he will profusely apologize about being lost while "cleaning" with his broom.
Robur Boulderhill, Hobbit Fighter 1 / Druid 1 / Thief 1 (MV 12", AC 6 - w/ shield, , HP 7) leather, wood shield, cudgel, sling, Hobbit stiletto, boots high hard, hooded cloak, backpack, scroll cure lit. wound + wat breath, Background: Mead maker

Post by mushgnome » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:18 am

(Ugh, sorry guys, browser glitch and I lost the post I was working on. I'll try again tomorrow.)

Short answers:
No magic items yet discovered for sale in town.
Druids can stay in the Grove for free.
Dame Simonetta takes the big suite (room 2).
Everyone else 1gp/night, pick any room.
The one-time 'convenience fee' lets you carry your wealth in any currency (coins, gems, bling) and you don't have to declare it to the DM or list the specifics on your character sheet. It is generally assumed you carry a bit of pocket change for day-to-day expenses.
Gygax charged 10% per transaction for coins; 20-50% for gems. But we are just going with flat 10% on everything, because haggling is not 'fun.'

@Bastet1002 thank you!
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:25 am

Bastet1002 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:52 am
"I'm sorry Kiplyn," says Robur blocking the entrance to room 12 with his broom. "But I was here first..."

The friendly manners of the owners surprised Robur, but they still gave him no clear answers about the dumped barrels of excellent wine and mead. He really wants room 12 to set up his base of operations, and once he gets Kiplyn to leave, he will check the owners' rooms using the door at the end of the hall. (He will use the thieving skills moving silently going there and while looking around for papers and such for anything that might be a little suspicious.) If he is somehow gets caught, he will profusely apologize about being lost while "cleaning" with his broom.
OOC: Robur aces his move silent check with a roll of 1d6=6!

Mike and Darby are totally overwhelmed by the pressures of being new business owners, giving Robur plenty of time to snoop around their apartment. The door is not locked...

Robur is new to human culture and society; it's tough to say what would qualify as 'suspicious' or 'unusual' from his perspective. Clearly the new owners are still unpacking, but they are doing an admirable job making sense from the mess left behind by the previous owner. Robur senses that the occupants are 'neat freaks.' Everything is neatly organized in its place. Mike and Darby each have their own bedroom, and a shared common room.

Robur does a sweep of the apartment looking for papers and notices an interesting pattern: one of the bedrooms has stacks of paper (Darby's room; more on that in a second) but the other bedroom (Mike's) is totally devoid of any reading materials whatsoever.

Mike's room is the larger and 'nicer' of the two rooms. The room is meticulously organized, but differently than how Robur might organize his own room: Objects are neatly arranged by color, shape, and texture (rather than by category or purpose). Robur finds no books, paper, or writing utensils of any type. He gets the sense, could Mike be illiterate? One final item of note is that Robur finds a (human-sized) suit of chain mail, helm, shield, and mace.

Darby's room is slightly more cluttered. His mace and shield are leaning by the fireplace and his mail hauberk is draped over the back of a chair. Darby seems to be an avid reader in his (limited) spare time. His desk is cluttered with religious pamphlets. Or maybe 'religious' isn't the right word; maybe it's more of a philosophy or self-help guide? The general theme is: Do not deviate from the straight and narrow path. We live in troubled, confusing times. The way to deal with this uncertainty is: Always stay focused, and keep a narrow mind!

The pamphlets are focused on earthly affairs and don't mention any gods or the afterlife. The penmanship is blocky, almost mechanical. There are no pictures or illustrations. Everything is printed in black and white.

A recurring theme in these philosophical texts is the absolute importance of teetotalism or abstinence from alcohol. Robur deduces, this is why Mike and Darby were destroying the leftover alcohol from the Inn's former glory as the Wanton Wench. Robur realizes, if he wants any of the Inn's leftover beverage stash, he needs to find it before Darby and Mike can find it and pour it out. Where could the good stuff be squirrelled away, wonders Robur?
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:01 pm

Kiplyn would applogies "Sorry I didn't see you there I must be tired, I'll take the next door room"
Opps didn't see your post, no problem 11 is fine, I do the same things to it.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by Bastet1002 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:24 pm

After setting himself up in room #12, and getting rid of a thick layer of dust with his broom and leaving his backpack, Robur heads out of room with his broom (dagger still at his waist) to talk to Mike and Darby. On the way, he knocks on Kiplyn's door to apologize about the room, and explains that he is on secret and urgent hobbit business he wants to share with the others later, but don't tell the owners. If Kiplyn insists on coming, Robur urges him to just let him talk and go along with what he says nodding and smiling. "Humans like nodding and smiling hobbits, I heard," says Robur.

With that, Robur approaches Mike and Darby with his broom in his hands, with a purpose in mind. He tries to put on his best boyish Hobbit charm he can muster to come across as possibly cute in human eyes.

"Well sirs!" he says offering a little bow and offering his best toothy smile. "Sorry for being a little jumpy when we first met. I just needed a little unwinding from adventuring you see! But I must say, I feel right at home here and I feel like I have a real purpose pushing this broom around. I'd fancy a job cleaning up and helping you make lattes at least temporarily while I'm between adventures. Say, this place does need some cleaning and maybe more things to throw out! Does this place have an old wine cellar or storage area with rats or unwanted things to throw away? I could help clean all that out of here, so we can make this place a nice and respectable place. I may be small, but I am sturdy and work hard, and can lift things like barrels. As you know I have a dagger to take care of rats, too."

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”