Out Of Character

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:43 am

Re: Out Of Character

Three 7s, an 8, a 9, and a 10. What are you gonna do?? Lupe was awesome.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:46 pm

Despite the nostalgia factor, 1st Edition AD&D is one of my least favorite systems to actually sit down and play. Sometimes it seems like the game mechanics are intentionally sadistic. Case in point is the Vilstrak or Tunnel Thug from MM2: It's got AC2, two attacks per round, surprises on 1-4, and can pass through stone at will. And for defeating this fearsome foe, the party splits a whopping 7+1/hp xp?!?

The silver lining is that they're Treasure Type C. But then in a final F.U. from Gygax, their lair is 95% inaccessible unless you can pass through solid stone.

Spoiler warning, my Hornpipe Hill encounter tables are well-stocked with some of my favorite weird creatures from MM2 and Fiend Folio. Here there be flumphs!
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:05 pm

:lol: if only I had read this before my action... AC2 run run run away
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:24 pm

I should add, that I reserve the right to tweak monster stats for my campaign. Maybe you got lucky and my version aren't AC2 like in MM2? (But they totally are.) And for sure I have adjusted the experience points! We aren't using AD&D-style xp awards, thank goodness. 7xp, my butt.

One of my biggest gaming regrets, is how quickly my childhood gaming group switched over from B/E to AD&D. We saw "Advanced" on the cover and felt more "grown-up" playing it. In retrospect I wish we had spent more time playing through the B- and X-series modules. One of my bucket list dreams is to run B4 Lost City with a Mushgnomian twist: backwards, so you start in the underground city, and the boss-monster is at the top of the pyramid!
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:53 pm

Yeah I hear ya, although it happened so fast, I think we had about 3 months max of playing Holmes/OD&D before someone picked up the PHB1 and made that the standard. (This is 1979 for me). Might have been interesting to stick it out, I wish we had also picked up Chainmail back then and used to have large scale wars but.. oh well kids ;0

That's is an interesting idea for a B4 twist, so you can even be part of one of the factions which would give you some support and safe zones along the way.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:27 pm

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

As of Novemember 9, I am hitting "pause" on this campaign for a little while. 2020 has been a terribly stressful year for me, as I'm sure it has been for all of you, and I could use a breather to recharge my batteries. I need to prioritize my family and surviving the holiday season (which is always an emotional time of year for me).

I'm still very committed to continuing Hobbet Heroes, so stay tuned for a new chapter in 2021! We have only just scratched the surface. There are 7 more levels of megadungeon to explore, and then I have some ideas for exploring the wider world, if/when you run out of dungeon. I know how to get in touch with each of you, and I will ping you when I'm ready to start back up again.

Hobbet Heroes has been a lot of fun for me. You players are doing a great job capturing the mood of the campaign! Great work so far. :)

Out of curiosity, have people enjoyed the all-Hobbet element so far, or is it time to introduce some other playable races? Spoiler alert, the plan all along has been, that the party can "unlock" additional races, by achieving certain goals in the dungeon. For example there is an encounter area that gives an in-universe explanation, why dwarves might suddenly join the game.

Post by mgtremaine » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:54 pm

Very much liking the Adventure thus far, your underworld is evocative and well thought out. I'll be waiting for your recharge to complete :)

-Mike

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:25 pm

I love the way you're playing it out, Mush. Your way of introducing new races sounds great!

I agree, this has really been a shit year for pretty much everyone. My shitty situation is starting to improve, but won't actually REALLY improve until the first of March when my ex HAS to move out. If it sounds terrible, go ahead and multiply that by 25 and you will have a slightly better feeling of just how terrible it really is.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by kipper » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:57 pm

I like the all-Hobbet element! I think adding other races would give a very different feel to the campaign, but I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that you've got a way planned to do it.

Post by acodispo » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:28 pm

Sounds like a plan! I'm looking forward to the next chapter. I've very much enjoyed the all-Hobbet campaign but am also very much in favour of "discovering" new playable species as you've suggested.

Everybody take care of themselves over the holidays!
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”