The First Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:27 pm

Re: The First Adventure

Dougal nods,"That sounds like a good idea, Tet. Might prevent it from bringing more of his friends... if giant ants even think that way."

Dougal retrieves a vial of oil from his pack. "I have oil, but do not have a lantern for burning it. I guess I sort of figured we wouldn't roll our one lamp down a ravine... Let's use the light of the burning oil to figure out where we are, as well."

Dougal pours a trail of oil over the ant tracks for as long as he can until the oil runs out. Then, when everyone is ready, he borrows one of the burning torches to light the trail of oil.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:36 pm

I think this is a good plan, and it's probably going to work. Ants rely on their sense of smell, and the burning oil will obliterate their trail of pheromones.

I will rule that 1 flask of oil will cover 60' of ant tracks. No particular reason for that number, but it "feels right."

This time, I am going to take it easy on you with regards to getting lost or turned around. North is still north, and our heroes are certain they came from the eastern tunnel. I have crudely illustrated the ant-trail.

My question to you is this: Are you going to spread some oil and then light if from the spot marked X, or would you rather lay a trail of oil as you backtrack to the east, and then light it from the eastern end?
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by acodispo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:33 pm

mushgnome wrote:My question to you is this: Are you going to spread some oil and then light if from the spot marked X, or would you rather lay a trail of oil as you backtrack to the east, and then light it from the eastern end?
The latter seems so much safer. :) I.e. burning oil between us & the ants, not us & home.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:52 pm

acodispo wrote:
mushgnome wrote:My question to you is this: Are you going to spread some oil and then light if from the spot marked X, or would you rather lay a trail of oil as you backtrack to the east, and then light it from the eastern end?
The latter seems so much safer. :) I.e. burning oil between us & the ants, not us & home.
Agreed; though to play devil's advocate... if the party stood at the X, the temporary flare of light from the burning oil might allow them to see farther into unknown territory and reveal a few unexplored tiles on the map.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:50 pm

Starting at the ravine, Dougal begins pouring oil on the ant trail, heading east towards from where they came.

"We need to know where we are before we can move forward. Someone lead the way back, following the ant trail, and I'll cover the trail with oil. When we run out of oil, we'll burn it."
Better to explore what we missed between us and home during pursuit, I think...
Last edited by ehiker133 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by acodispo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:10 pm

Willie leads the way!

"Potty, you've a sharp nose, help me hold to this trail!"
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:50 am

Turn 16

With a loud whooosh sound, the trail of oil is ignited! Six squares (tinted red on the map) are engulfed in flame, briefly illuminating the dungeon with a cheery glow. Our heroes find themselves at the intersection marked X. To the south, the cavern forks and branches, and the walls are riddled with cracks barely wide enough for a Hobbet. To the east is an unremarkable 10' tunnel that looks vaguely familiar. The Hobbets catch their collective breath and consider their next move...

Post by ehiker133 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:09 pm

Studying the cracks, Dougal suggests, "Doubtful we 'rushed' through those cracks, so likely we came from this way." He points to the possibly familiar passage to the east.

"I think we should check there and make sure we're not completely lost and didn't pass up anything interesting before we explore completely unfamiliar areas..."

Post by acodispo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:12 pm

"I agree," opines Willie. "Let's head east. Pressing onward doesn't seem very wise till we know the way back!"

Post by Tonneau » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:52 pm

"Oh dear" says Potty as the cavern floor becomes a sea of flame.

He envisages all the undiscovered mushrooms shriveling in the fire, and his eyes water.

"Ah...east it is then, yes" he sighs.
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”