Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by Tonneau » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:31 pm

Re: Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

"Oh dear" says Potty, eyeing the mountain of turnips-needing-moving; clearly wanting to pay back the good deeds of the carter but anxious about again handling the malign vegetables.

He fumbles with a sack to cover his hands to protect them from the itchy touch of the tubers, but waits to see if the others take up the task before doing anything.
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by acodispo » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:38 pm

"Pancakes!" exclaims Willie in great excitement!

Then, mustering some semblance of decorum: "I'd be happy to give you a hand unloading, Mr. Skip Sir."

And he falls to the task with vigour.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by Ebon Hearted Soul » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:57 am

"Oi, Skip I'll help out as well as I need to work up my appetite. Pancakes sure sound good" , says Chegs as he hops out of the cart and helps unload the cart of turnips.
Veshengo "Vesh the scarred" Polgár Magic-User 1
S: 7 I: 17 W: 9 Cn: 13 D: 13 Ch: 4 Gold: 28 Silver: 16 Copper: 10 HP: 5

Warrec "Chegs" Chegwidden Fighting-Hobbet 1
S:14 I:10 W:9 Co:9 D:10 Ch:8 Gold:2 Copper: 45 HP:5

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:03 pm

Mmmm Pancaaakes murmurs Tet, half delirious with the thought of melted butter and treacle running down his throat. Suddenly he snaps to. Roight! he declares. Let's shift some toober! And with that he jumps off the cart and lays into the task at hand.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:48 pm

Dougal frowns at the thought of now unloading the 'nips it seems like they just loaded up! Then his stomach rumbles loudly and he looks down at it in concern.

"A stack of pancakes does sound good," he mutters, mostly to himself.

Dougal the Black helps the other hobbets unload the turnips from the wagon. "Come on, Mushroom Potty," he calls out as he shoulders a bag, "The faster we get this done, the faster we get to that stack of pancakes!"
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by Tonneau » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:07 pm

"Yes yes yes ok ok...ok" says Potty, clearly not ok with it at all, but nonetheless turning himself gingerly to the task (sacks in hand).

He wonders absently if 'pancakes' might mean 'mushroom pancakes' and if so, which breed would best suit a coating of honey...
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by mushgnome » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:48 pm

When the time comes for a break, the farmer's son gives each of our heroes a bottle of refreshing root beer. He seems genuinely curious about the Hobbets and their culture. "So... what is it like, where you come from?" he asks. "Tell me about your way of life."
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:50 pm

Dougal frowns as he mulls over the farmer's son's question.

"Well... when we're where we're from, it's sort of nice being a hobbet, I suppose. It's a slower pace, to be sure. No racin' to see who can toss more 'nips onto a wagon than anyone else! The sun is warm and there's always time for a bit of fishin'. Everything always seems to get done, though. And though there's always exceptions to the rule, most Hobbets is not bad people. Always lookin' out for each other. It's really quite nice."

He shakes his head, "But some of us get this bug in us, see? However nice it were in the hills and vales of the shire, some of us can't wait ta see what it's like in the world with the big people."

"So... we leave."

He glares over at the stone tower a moment. "And we find out that when we're NOT where we're from, it's not as much fun being a Hobbet. The rest of the world is never quite as nice. We get teased and called names and rarely get treated fairly. But we can't go back. We HAVE to wander about and see all the things, experience all the things, even if they isn't as nice as the shires."

Dougal takes another swig from his root beer and... doesn't say anything further.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by acodispo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:26 pm

Willie is quiet for a bit after hearing Dougal's response to the farmer's son. Then:

"I think maybe it's much the same for most people, hobbet or big folk, when they journey away from home and go see other places.

"And I think maybe our home isn't that much different from yours!"

He sips from his bottle, likes the taste, and asks:

"This is excellent! Did you make it?"
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:27 am

The boy listens to Dougal's words, nods his head in understanding, and replies, "Grown-ups don't like Hobbets, but kids think they are cool. My father has a Hobbet tenant named Fred. He makes pancakes for our birthday parties. He is kind of like our crazy uncle."

The younger brother returns from tending the animals. He fixates on Dougal's comment, "We get teased and called names and rarely get treated fairly." He replies, "Being a Hobbet sounds alot like being a kid! Bullies tease me because Dad is successful."

To Willie the elder son proudly replies, "Dad taught me how to brew root beer, apple cider, honey mead, concord grape wine, ale, lager, smallbeer, porter, and stout. We have a new bottle machine from the city. It puts on metal caps so the drink stays fresher longer!

"My brother and me will help you finish loading."
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”