Out Of Character

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:17 am

Re: Out Of Character

Blindness is a major downer.

The question for you to think on is, perhaps, when it comes to removing curses and such like are you ready to have Mondes dispelled??

Or not?? :)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by verhaden » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:33 pm

How long does the magical slumber last, officially? It felt like Guntram was asleep for weeks, but in-game passage of time was considerably shorter.

Post by ehiker133 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:04 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:Blindness is a major downer.

The question for you to think on is, perhaps, when it comes to removing curses and such like are you ready to have Mondes dispelled??

Or not?? :)

Oh, man... tough question! One I hadn't really thought of as an option. Just kind of thought I was stuck with a two-headed halfling. And I'm OK with that. Making it an option changes things...

On the one hand, he is useful for my idiom. And I suspect there are a FEW bonuses with the second head, like being harder to surprise, being able to drink and breathe at the same time, amusing fodder for Gustave's humor...

However, having just one head would make a lot of things easier, socially. And mechanically, in some cases, I'm sure. Don't think Desmond would ever be able to achieve a 'heroic' type status, like Dieter or Olaf, with two heads.

Or maybe it would make it easier... I suppose it might vary, based on the situation.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by sully » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:14 pm

ehiker133 wrote:Don't think Desmond would ever be able to achieve a 'heroic' type status, like Dieter or Olaf, with two heads.

Or maybe it would make it easier... I suppose it might vary, based on the situation.
Are you kidding? The Two-Headed Slayer won't be merely heroic, he'll be legen - wait for it - dary!
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by ehiker133 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:34 pm

sully wrote:
ehiker133 wrote:Don't think Desmond would ever be able to achieve a 'heroic' type status, like Dieter or Olaf, with two heads.

Are you kidding? The Two-Headed Slayer won't be merely heroic, he'll be legen - wait for it - dary!
haha, well, yes, like I said, in some cases it might make it easier. But I suspect the response to the two-headed slayer would be strong - sometimes love and sometimes hate.

Maybe smaller towns might more readily accept such a character, especially if he was instrumental in helping them by removing hazards like snorks and the like. But a larger, more "civilized" city might be different.

Of course, Desmond could certainly hold his own in a bar fight with most any normal-type human; probably two or three, even. It's the unruly mob he's worried about...
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by sully » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:18 pm

ehiker133 wrote:Of course, Desmond could certainly hold his own in a bar fight with most any normal-type human; probably two or three, even. It's the unruly mob he's worried about...
Bah! Do you know how many attacks per round a Hero gets vs. 0-level opponents? I think it's something like a million.

Ok, it's only four. But that means you get to stare down the mob and say cool stuff like, "You might all be able to beat me but you four - points at four closest peasants - are getting your heads chopped off. So... who wants to be first?"
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by Eris » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:53 pm

At this point, for Mondes to lose his head would be a real shame. ;)

In this sort of world I doubt a two-headed hobbit is shocking enough to do more than raise eyebrows or get second glances. I know Desmond has been hiding his "condition" whenever he can, but none of his companions have even raised an eyebrow. I doubt Beringer will either, like he hasn't seen the two heads yet anyway! Maybe I'm wrong, but if would have been nice to have had some reaction rolls from the general public over the last year to see.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by Olroda » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:38 am

These last hours have taken their toll on Beringar. Sorcerers, gobbos on slavering wargs, himself transformed into a giant, magic-induced fatigue, and on top of that, a bout of food-poisoning! That's a lot to process for a humble serf-turned-adventurer! While he may have caught a glimpse of our double-headed friend, I doubt that such a ripple would add anything to the storm which is shaking his world currently, so to speak.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:12 am

Just another day in the Hinterlands...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by sully » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:08 pm

Is it too late to go with Wen and Gustave? They got a slightly better reception from the Elves than did the rest of the party.

Should have known Gustave would know where the wine is...

Return to “Hinterlands”