(053) Moonshine

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by mushgnome » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:11 pm

Re: (053) Moonshine

mgtremaine wrote:Wen would sliently look of towards the Wildwood and frown. He would turn back towards Highbough and say something short to him in Elvish, more like a question. "The Watchtower?" is what it sounds like to those who speak the language.
Highbough looks troubled, and Wen might be surprised by his lack of enthusiasm for the idea. "It is true," Highbough ponders in his ancient Elvish whisper, "Wargs would not not dare enter the realm of the Woodland King. And yet..." He casts a skeptical gaze at his travel companions. "What men call the 'Wildwood' holds dangers of its own..."

The other party members who don't speak Elvish would notice Wen and Highbough standing a bit aside from the group, having their private conversation.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:21 pm

Wen would look sadly at the fallen Hobbit. Then he again speaks to Highbough this time as long stream of softly spoken, flowing, Elven words. "I failed to save the little one, how long until the others fall as well. We can not go on like this, the Ruins are known to the Goblins, it will not take them long to find us there. We need food, we need shelter and we need time to plan, at the Watch Tower we could gain those things. Surely they would not turn us away, if one of use goes forward when we reach the woods and pleads the case."
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:49 pm

To Wen in Elvish: "Perhaps... if *you* were to plead our case" muses Highbough. "The Woodland King and I have certain... political differences."
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:02 pm

Wen would turn back to the departing group and speak "There is another option if you would stay amount and hear me out.". A suitable pause is given.

"One day, two considering on current state, from here is place where we might be able to get some help. Certainly it will be safe from attack and we should be able to get the food supplies we need so badly. The place I speak is an Elven outpost on the edge of Wildwood. The journey is not without risk but I suspect all choices are filled with danger at this point. My heart speaks against the Ruins, having been there once, I suspect it is known to the Goblins and it will be the first place they look for us. Instead I suggest we head out towards the Wildwood, with some of use creating a false back trail towards the ruins to give them something to chase. Break off in pairs, single file and double back to the main group. The false trail doesn't need to be perfect just follow our path down. The Wargs will pick it up. What say you?"
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:23 pm

"No offense to you or Highbough," Desmond replies to the general direction of Wen's voice, "but what makes you think the Woodland King would give the likes of us shelter from this goblin storm? What if we spend two days marching only to get turned away at the door, so to speak? Then we're thoroughly chuffed..."
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:04 pm

"None taken my good hobbit. The explanation is perhaps longer then you really want to hear but in summary. The Elven King does not live there, the watchtower, as it translates, is there for a specific reason. To watch over the human lands and specifically Ket. I did not visit it on my way out of the Wold but I know it is there and its purpose. With Ket fallen the Elves are going to be on high alert, they will also want to resolve this goblin problem quickly. This group" Wen gestures at the party "represents a significant amount of power, Dieter and Ulric are already legends in their own right. The Elves are cautious but we are not stupid, aiding this group is to their direct benefit. Food, weapons, training, these things can be provided with little effort or risk. After a week or so the goblins will be less alert and we can even return to the Ruins then. But right now we need a safe bolt hole and Ruins are not it. Besides it is far easier to gather food in the forest then these empty plains that we have walked the length of. For your stomach alone I think you would agree more hardily to the Forest path." Wen finishes with a small laugh.

Post by doctorx » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:19 pm

Ably assisted by the Gustave, Josiane totters to her feet.

"My thanks to you, my friend," she whispers, but her sad, grey eyes are on the still form of the fallen Rufus. She will take a few seconds to murmur a brief prayer over him, her head bowed.

"Torben speaks truly," she says, looking with a new approval at the grim spearman; "We cannot leave him here."

She will take up Rufus' shield as suggested. She also casts about among the fallen goblins for a helmet that might fit her. The lessons of this last battle have been well-learned.

"As soon as we have reached our destination I will endeavour to learn all I can of the artefacts we carry," she says; "But I must rest first. Never have I felt so spent."

Her head throbs, she feels sick and her legs are trembling under her.

But she is alive. Her White Lady's purpose for her is clearly still to be achieved.

"As for where our destination may be..."

She draws forth her Fated Coin.

"Let the Balance be for the Ruins and the Owl be for the Wildwood."

She lets the coin spin...

Post by danhem » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:51 am

Ulric listens intently to the words of Wen and Highbough.

"If you think that you can get us in, then that may be our best alternative. Elves are no lover of goblins; our work here may be of interest to them."

Ulric pulls the map from his pack.

"We are here," Ulric says pointing to a spot near the ruined keep. "Where is the Watchtower?" he asks.

OOC: Here is the link to the Hinterlands map from way back when:
http://s561.photobucket.com/user/waysof ... b.png.html

Post by mgtremaine » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:17 am

ooc: This thread has the marked up map http://forum.immersiveink.com/viewtopic ... 022#p12022 remember that East is UP.

Wen would point at the forest East of Ket. In this area under the eaves of the forest. See how we can can head East as if back towards the abbey and veer North towards the forest.

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:56 am

Desmond shrugs in resigned defeat. He's in no condition to argue anything one way or the other at the moment. Though he does not relish a two-day hike into Elven lands, the other options seem less viable.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Return to “Hinterlands”