The Eighth Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by Scottenkainen » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:02 pm

Re: The Eighth Adventure

Bastet1002 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:54 am
"I'm with you Beppu! I need to see about some mead at the Inn," says Robur. "Douglas? Fiona? Want to come along? And Dr. Rabbitz, I'd like to know how you met up with my friends [nodding in the direction of Douglas and Fiona]."
"I'll be delighted to have someone join me!" Beppo said. "Come, at the least we'll enjoy some refreshing ale and can report to the others if the inn is really so bad or not."

Post by mushgnome » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:07 am

OOC: A few details to take care of:

1. I gave everyone a few XP for the skeleton and the gelatinous cube. For those who may be wondering "what happened?" in the gelatinous cube encounter: Poseidon's well was magically trapped. Blaspheming the sacred well caused the water to turn into a gelatinous cube.

2. I have not yet divided up the treasure, or awarded XP for it. Now that we are in a town with an actual money-changer, we aren't going to hand-wave that any more, we are going to role-play it out. I am going to hold off on awarding xp until you have converted the treasure to cash and figured out how to divide it (whether that's an equal split, or some other method). By my count the party found the following treasure on the Seventh Adventure (speak up if I forgot anything): Dougal has an antique chess set he guesstimates is worth about 1,200gp to the right buyer. Beppo, Bilfur, and Willie are each carrying a 30-pound large sack containing 60gp, 120sp, and 420cp (for a total of 80.4gp per sack or 241.2gp for all 3 sacks).

3. Do the NPCs come with you, or do they have their own agenda? Let's make reaction rolls:
Douglas and Fiona (they travel together as a unit): 2d6 = 10, they enthusiastically accept Robur's invitation to the Inn.
Dr. Rabbitz 2d6 = 2, he declines the party's offer and decides to stay at the restaurant, eating pancakes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, here's how I envision the party splitting up for the afternoon:

Frederick, Dr. Rabbitz = stay at the House of Pancakes
Dame Simonetta, Kiplyn, Ginger = diplomacy with the Village Elder
Beppo, Robur, Douglas, Fiona = to the Inn for adult beverages
Bilfur, Noh, Carc, Ursa = introductions to the Druid of the Grove (you should each decide on a gift/offering for him! or risk a negative reaction, if you show up empty-handed.)

How about Dougal, Wilbur, and Willie? Where and how are they planning to spend the afternoon?
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by dtspurrier » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:02 pm

sounds good to me

Post by Bastet1002 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:09 pm

Robur acquired a fine Hobbit Stiletto also.
Robur Boulderhill, Hobbit Fighter 1 / Druid 1 / Thief 1 (MV 12", AC 6 - w/ shield, , HP 7) leather, wood shield, cudgel, sling, Hobbit stiletto, boots high hard, hooded cloak, backpack, scroll cure lit. wound + wat breath, Background: Mead maker

Post by mushgnome » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:48 pm

Bastet1002 wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:09 pm
Robur acquired a fine Hobbit Stiletto also.
Robur wouldn't know this in-character until he starts stabbing people with it, but the dagger is enchanted +1, +3 vs. Hobbets. (Bonus to-hit only.)

There are no XP awards for magic items in this campaign.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:49 pm

dtspurrier wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:02 pm
sounds good to me
Does Bilfur bring any gift or offering for the Druid?

Post by mushgnome » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:13 pm

January 5

It's early afternoon in the village of Hornpipe. The sun is out, pushing temperatures into the 40s. The snow from the New Years storm continues to melt away.

First stop is the Village Elder's compound. The manor-style house and its outbuildings are enclosed by an 8' high stone wall.

Dame Simonetta and Kiplyn, this is you!

OOC: The extended family numbers about a dozen, plus there could be any number of visitors. Let's roll to see how many people are here: 1d20=11. This means our Heroes should be able to get someone's attention, to open the gate.

Dame Simonetta and Kiplyn approach the heavy iron gate. They catch the attention of a servant girl. She notices Dame Simonetta's fine clothes and says, "Right away, Mum. I will fetch someone to let you in. The Elder is in his office, taking meetings. There are a couple of people in line before you, so be patient."

The rest of the Hobbet Heroes continue down the road west, toward the center of town...

Post by mushgnome » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:57 pm

Bilfur, Noh, and Ursa continue to The Druid's Grove.

The entrance to the Sacred Grove is marked by two mossy, weather-worn stones. The trees within are healthy and well-tended. Our heroes see many footprints in the snow: A main path well-worn by humans, and many different types of animal tracks in the snow under the trees: birds, rabbits, squirrels, foxes, and what appears to possibly be bear tracks. There aren't any hobbet tracks.

The raven Carc is calm and relaxed, sensing no danger in this peaceful place.

The path leads to a stone cairn where the villagers have placed their offerings of nuts, berries, cakes, sweets, or garlands of dried flowers and leaves. There is a small lockbox for those who prefer to give monetary offerings. Nearby is a wooden building concealed by the boughs of the oak trees.

"Hello?? Jaroo Ashstaff, Druid of Hornpipe?" calls Ursa.

"Is that Ursa Underfoot, my favorite hobbet? What did you bring for me this time?" replies the Druid, stepping out from inside the building.

"Ursa's world famous apple crisp, secret family recipe," is Ursa's mock-cheerful reply. Behind her back she whispers to the other hobbets, "I didn't make this! It's from Frederick. Using up the scraps from those apple pies."

Jaroo Ashstaff strides into view. None of you have ever met a human druid before, but he looks pretty much as you would expect: He's tall, wise, and charismatic. He cuts an imposing figure, cloaked in his druid's robes. He leans on snake-staff that looks a lot like Bilfur's but twice the size.

Do either of you speak up and say anything to the Druid, or do you let Ursa make the introduction, while she seems to be on a roll?

Post by mushgnome » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:22 pm

Beppo and Robur drop off their friends and continue on to the Inn. With them are the NPCs Fiona and Douglas.

Our heroes smell smoke in the air and pick up the pace. As they come in view of the Inn, they are greeted by an unforgettable sight: A pair of legs are sticking straight up in the air! Not just any legs: the long, lovely legs of a seven-foot tall human standing on her head. And then as the flames rise and the paint starts to peel, the hobbets realize what they are looking at: It is the painted wooden sign from the Inn of the Welcome Wench. Someone has torn down the sign (depicting an impossibly proportioned, scantily clad woman) from its signpost and is making a public spectacle of burning it in the road.

There are two humans, both men. They tug at the burning sign and break it into pieces, sending up a shower of sparks. "Let it burn, Mike, let it burn."

Robur hears a 'glugging' sound. He sees a wine barrel, labelled 'Urnst White,' a nice vintage. It's been smashed open and is spilling its contents onto the ground. Next to it is a broken barrel labelled 'Mead'!

What is this, a fun raid by the party-pooper police?!? How do the Hobbets react?

Post by mushgnome » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:49 pm

Last but not least...

Some combination of Dougal, Wilbur, and/or Willie head to the Moneychanger's Shop (15 on the map). They are going to try and sell the chess set, and convert the coins from copper/silver to gold, so the party can divide the treasure (and xp).

The door of the shop is guarded by a tough-looking human fighter and two war dogs.

The human moneychanger introduces himself as Nira Melubb. He is obliging and polite.

His business model is simple: He charges a flat 10% to convert anything into anything else: coins, gems, jewellery, antiques, etc.

The chess set, list price 1,200gp, he will take 120gp and give you 1080gp. And then (as a special introductory offer) he would throw in the coin conversion for free. So you would walk out the door with 1,321.2gp (1,080gp for the chess set + 241.2gp for the 3 sacks of coins) in your pocket, to divide among the party members. Assuming an equal 9 way split, that is 146.8gp/xp share per PC. Melubb can convert it to gold, platinum, or gemstones of any value.

Do you take this offer?

OOC: This is far more generous to the players than the module as-written. Gygax would only offer you 600gp for the chess set.

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”