The Seventh Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by mushgnome » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:15 pm

Re: The Seventh Adventure

"Another batch of buttermilk pancakes, coming right up! I'm glad you like them. They're an old family recipe. And don't worry: This meal on the house. I routinely overcharge the humans, so I can be generous with the hobbets, and you look like you could use a hot meal. Maybe you are a little down on your luck? Sorry to disappoint you about the beer. One thing I haven't been able to get, is a liquor license. The humans guard those very closely. And no bacon, either. I don't serve any pork products (because pigs are adorable). If you are craving protein, I made some three-bean chili. First-time experimental recipe. Packs some serious heat. I serve it with cream and corn bread. Want to give it a try?"
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by Scottenkainen » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:52 am

"I'm not sure...it's chilly, but it's hot...?

Beppo waited patiently through the explanation of chili...and how there was no bacon...and no beer.

"Uh, sure, I'll try a little bit," he said graciously. "But after that I should really get out and see about finding some adventure in these parts."

His plan was to go around town and listen in on conversations in the hopes of some rumors.

Post by mushgnome » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:40 pm

The chili is, unfortunately, not up to Frederick's usual standards. But he more than makes up for it with a round of cinnamon-applesauce waffles that are out of this world! With a twinkle in his eye, he asks the newcomer. "Why this obsession with Adventures? Most hobbets are peaceful homebodies. What makes you different? What planted the seed of Adventure in you? But seriously: Be careful out there, around the humans. Don't go poking your nose around town. We don't want the humans to think hobbets have the capacity for Adventure. It is in the best interest of our survival for them to misunderestimate us. If they come to think of us as a threat, then they will destroy us. I have lived my whole life under their noses, by appearing small and harmless."
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by rredmond » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:19 pm

"Relax here for a bit," Noh adds with a wink and a bite of sampler, "sometimes just waiting can bring surprises."
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by Scottenkainen » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:41 pm

Beppo was taken aback by these hobbets. "Has...has neither of you ever heard the call to adventure? The need to see something new, maybe something no one else has ever seen before, just because it's out there? Or the need to face danger, just to prove to yourself you can overcome it? The urge to become a legend in your own time, like the hobbets of old? I feel it all. I have felt it in my bones for too long. It ached inside me until I couldn't stand it anymore. So I left Strawberry Banke and just started walking...and walking...until it led me here. I know there's adventure nearby. I can practically smell it!

Anticipating what they might say, he countered it early by adding, "And no, it's not the waffles."

Since it seemed to make these sedentary hobbets feel safer, Beppo allowed himself to be talked into remaining where he was for another 10 minutes, but then planned to leave even if he had to sneak out.

Post by mushgnome » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:50 am

OOC: Extra credit for the Strawberry Banke reference! :D

Post by mushgnome » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:31 pm

Frederick gives Beppo a promotional map from the Chamber of Commerce that shows the local businesses (including his own House of Pancakes). He points with his fat finger. "Stay away from this hill on the west end of town. That's the guard tower. The town guard do not like outsiders, or hobbets! Most shops don't serve hobbets, so talk to me if you need any supplies, and I can buy through a third party. And there's no Inn for us, so you're probably going to end up right back here tonight! You can pull a chair by the fire next to Ursa, or spread out your bedroll on the floor. I hope to see you again soon, friend! Try to keep out of trouble."

Would Noh like to accompany Beppo and explore the town as well?

Post by mushgnome » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:48 pm

His plan was to go around town and listen in on conversations in the hopes of some rumors.
I interpret this as, Beppo would move toward the denser-populated parts of town, try to figure out where groups of people are congregated?

Is he looking for any particular type or demographic of person, or just 'man on the street' style journalism, as it were?

Is Beppo attempting to move with stealth, to eavesdrop on people without them knowing? And if so, what would that look like (imagining a colonial village in wintertime)? Or is he just walking down the street normally, blending in with the foot traffic, listening in on public conversations, checking the social pulse of Hornpipe?

Based on your answers, I will put something fun together for you. :)

Post by Scottenkainen » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:22 am

((It would be more fun to sneak, but Beppo knows that if he tries to sneak around and fails, that will look more suspicious than if he just walks around normal.))

Beppo walks around, casually, slowly, with his head down a lot. He keeps near open shop windows, the town market, gossipy washerwomen, just seeing what all he overhears. If he finds people are hesitant to speak openly in his presence, he will just be patient. At this point, it's now important that people see him around town a lot so they get used to him and will be less guarded in their speech.

Post by rredmond » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:57 pm

mushgnome wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:31 pm
Would Noh like to accompany Beppo and explore the town as well?
Sounds like Beppo wants this adventure alone. :) Noh will just hang out and ensure Ursa is okay, and gather any further information from Frederick.
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”