The Seventh Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by Scottenkainen » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:08 pm

Re: The Seventh Adventure

((I still haven't been told which cover is closest between the steepest part of Hornpipe Hill, the windmill, the large house, the big stone well, the wooded area, the residential area, or the tavern. Though the mention of the woods in that last post seems to hint it's the woods?))

Beppo "Uncanny Accuracy" Filbriggle had backed up to the woods by now and used a tree for cover while forming fresh snowballs. His plan was to keep firing until he had pelted three more with such uncanny accuracy that the rest would surely surrender. Then...Beppo would emerge and call himself their leader!

Post by mushgnome » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:02 pm

The snowball fight rages!

Beppo successfully dodges all of the boys' snowballs, and gets in a glancing shot of his own.

On the next round, Beppo hits one of the boys solidly in the chest, leaving him dazed and slumped to the ground. Beppo ducks behind a tree for cover, and seems to have the situation well in hand.

On the next round after that, Beppo packs a firm snowball and peeks out from behind the tree, ready to knock another of the children out of the battle. But, a lucky shot gets Beppo right in the face! The snow sings his eyes and blinds him.

Beppo has his back pressed against the tree trunk. He has a snowball in one hand, and he's rubbing his eyes with his other hand, trying to clear his vision. He can hear the boys are spreading out, and they are taunting him: "Come out! Come out with your hands up! You can't win!!"
Sorry, I didn't make this map, and I guess it doesn't have a scale... But we can roughly infer distances from the size of the buildings?

Beppo wins initiative 5-1

to hit 1d20=16 hit for 1 "damage" grazing shot

Save vs. dragon breath 1d20 = 15 success, no "damage"

(Proceeding with Beppo's plan to keep firing...)

Beppo wins initiative 5-2
to hit 2d20 = 4, 14 hits once for 5hp "damage" knocking the "wounded" boy out of the fight (leaving 6)
Save vs. breath 20! no damage

Beppo loses initiative 1-2
Save vs. breath 7, fail, half "damage" or 3hp snowball damage
He has take a cumulative total of 8 snowball damage (higher than his total of 6hp) so he is incapacitated 1 round. DM rules: blinded! 1 round duration

Since Beppo is in the negative, any additional snowball hits will automatically have some negative effect.

If Beppo chooses to fire blind, he will suffer a -4 penalty to hit.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by rredmond » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:07 pm

Worried about Ursa, Noh gives Carc a chin scritch and sees if there's more that he can do.
I don't remember if there are medicinal plants or anything. Or maybe some that I could get to help? Does Noh have any clue what's up with Ursa? I've got mistletoe but IIRC that's a wee bit poisonous if ingested :)
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by mgtremaine » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:28 pm

Never tell Beppo the odds.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by Scottenkainen » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:46 pm

Beppo attempts to fall back deeper into the woods, at least until his eyes stop stinging. Oh, he'll get that one. He'll get that one for sure...

He would then attempt to circle wide around the group of children and ambush them with snowballs from another direction (preferably from behind cover - the well, perhaps?). He would not let up until they acknowledged him their master!

Post by Scottenkainen » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:48 pm

mgtremaine wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:28 pm
Never tell Beppo the odds.
Beppo drops out of hyperdrive just in time for the ambush! "Yeeee-haaaah!"

Post by mushgnome » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:00 pm

Beppo clears the snow from his eyes and falls back into the woods. He lobs a snowball as a parting shot, but it's more of a deterrent than an accurate throw.

The boys are searching every which way: "Where did he go? I don't see him! Where is he??"

Beppo sneaks around behind the well and launches a perfect bulls-eye at the boy who hit him in the eye. The snowball hits him square on the back of the head, and he face-plants into the snow. Beppo follows up with a second snowball, and takes out another of the boys.

"There's two of them! There's another one over by the Miller's house! Let's get out of here!!"

The boys help their "wounded" friends stand up, and then flee north (in the direction of the river).

Does Beppo pursue?
Basically at this point, it's a game of whether Beppo can pass his save each round to stay in the snowball fight. This round he rolls 1d20=20! and most certainly does stay in the fight.

His snowball 1d20 = 9, miss.

Let's go another round.

Beppo stealth check, 1d6=5, success.

"Snowball backstab" 2d20 = 14, 19 two hits for 6, 3hp knocking another two boys out of the fight.

Save vs. breath 1d20=another natural 20! Hope you are this lucky, someday when you face an actual dragon.

Morale 2d6=5
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:08 pm

Meanwhile at the House of Pancakes:

Noh feels like he has a good understanding of Ursa's physical malady (the frostbite) but her mental confusion is a mystery to him. Noh thinks of Ursa as a very wise woman, but the way she is behaving right now, is not reflective of that.

OOC: Noh can't think which herbs or plants might help with this, since he doesn't have a diagnosis. If Noh had any Mythos, he could attempt a Mythos check to sense if, maybe for example, Ursa is a victim of Cthulhu's mind-control. But Noh has Mythos 0, meaning he has no experience with the occult world.

Spoiler warning that Ursa is NOT, in fact, being mind-controlled by Cthulhu. Just using that as an example of how Mythos works, for the benefit of the newer players' understanding!

Post by Scottenkainen » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:02 am

"Hey! Where do you think you're going?" Beppo yells at the kids. "You think I don't have friends waiting for you in that direction too? Get back here!"

To any kids he intimidates/frightens into coming back, he says, "You fought well, boys and girls, even though you never really had a chance. To square things between us, I'm willing to partner up with you.

"You see, I happen to know there is adventure to be had in this town. I can practically smell it! I just need to know where it is. And that's where you come in. I need you to be my eyes and ears in this town. Be the first one to come to me with information about where I could find a dangerous, exciting adventure, and I'll pay you five silver pieces!"

Post by mushgnome » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:04 am

Beppo hears a small voice behind him say, "Let them go. They're bullies. They call me names at school. I was waiting for them to leave so I can do my chores. Hi, I'm Tick Miller. Um, please don't fall in our well? Are you friends with Fred? Also, um, do you like root beer?"

The boy has a broom in his hand and looks disappointed to be working on such a lovely winter's day. He whacks the awning with the broom, clearing the snow and revealing the logo Miller's Tavern. It looks to Beppo like the Miller family lives on the top floor and runs a small public house on the ground floor. There is a sign in the window "closed for holiday."

OOC: Hahaha, according to my notes from 2018, the building with the well is not only the miller's house but also the Miller's Tavern! Apologies for my forgetfulness. Let's say the reason Beppo didn't notice at first, is because the Tavern is closed for the week for the New Years holiday. And they don't serve hobbets, so it's a moot point.

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”