The Seventh Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by Scottenkainen » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:06 pm

Re: The Seventh Adventure

Oh, Beppo aimed straight for the boy who came closest to a head shot. Beppo would show him one better and land his right in the face!

Post by mushgnome » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:48 am

Frederick puts on his blindfold and raises the axe...
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:17 am

Beppo fires a snowball at the boy who is the best shot, a big ginger-haired lad. It hits him in his snowball-throwing hand. "My mitten!" he cries. He goes digging in the snow for his lost mitten and is out of the snowball fight.

If Beppo wins initiative on the next round, what is his strategy? You saw the map a few posts back. He's welcome to stand his ground, but if he chooses to hoof it, there are several places he could run to or take cover. To his right is the steepest part of Hornpipe Hill, in the shadow of the windmill. To his left is a large house with a big stone well in the front yard, and snow-covered pasture behind it. Across the intersection to the east is a wooded area, and to the north is a residential area. Or back the way he came! (Frederick warned him not to go west, toward the tower, but if you feel like living dangerously...)
Beppo needs to roll 10 to hit AC9 but he gets two bonuses: +1 DEX bonus and a +2 range bonus, on the logic that Beppo's strong arm gives him one range increment advantage over the boys.

He rolls 1d20=7+1+2=10 a glancing hit for 1d6=1 mitten damage.

Note to self that Beppo gets a +1 initiative bonus due to high DEX.

Also, because of his 3:2 fire rate, he gets to throw 2 snowballs on the next round.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:37 am

Noh chooses to trust Frederick as the crazy old axeman spins around three times to make himself dizzy, then swings the axe not at Noh's fingers but at the side of his head! "HONK!!!"

"Squawk! Squawk! Squawk! Squawk!" goes the raven, soaring to the rafters in a puff of black feathers.

"Shhhh! Keep it down, you rascals," Ursa curses from her chair by the fire.

Noh reflexively brings his hand up to his temple, to stuff his brains back into his shattered skull and stop the bleeding. But to his astonishment, there's no blood at all! It stings a little, like he's been slapped, but there's no damage.

"HONK!!! Ha ha ha, gotcha. You said the 11th finger, BAM! Right in the old noggin. Get it? The 11th finger? You're lucky I don't have a dirty mind." Frederick takes off the blindfold, winks, juggles the axe in the air, and then hands it over to Noh for inspection. It is lightweight, perfectly balanced, and completely dull, a harmless juggling prop. "You don't think I would really leave a priceless magic axe hanging on the wall of a family pancake restaurant, do you? The real Chopper is someplace much safer. I'm sorry about the prank; no hard feelings? Now that I am retired from Adventuring I get my fun from collecting Adventurers. Ursa, are you feeling better old gal? Here, bring her a mug of this comfrey tea. It aids healing."

Post by rredmond » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:36 pm

Noh looks up in surprise at the joke? "That was," he pauses as he hands the axe back, "funny."
Noh then sidles over to Ursa to check on her and see if there's any news.
mushgnome wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:37 am
"You're lucky I don't have a dirty mind."
To be honest, I thought it might be going there in some way. :D
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by mushgnome » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:38 pm

Ursa looks up at Carc. "Mmmmm. Pretty bird. What's his name?" She seems to be feeling a bit better, more alert.

OOC: Did you notice Carc did his new trick? :D

Also, I feel maybe Carc would sense Ursa's great power as a druid, and perhaps greet her or gravitate towards her in some way. Do you agree and (if so) what would that look like?

Post by Scottenkainen » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:04 am

((Since Beppo was dodging for cover, shorter distance would be more desirable than any particular direction, and I can't tell from the map what those distances would be.))

Beppo scooped up two more snowballs en route to the nearest cover and lobbed them at the two biggest boys.

Post by rredmond » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:18 pm

mushgnome wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:38 pm
Ursa looks up at Carc. "Mmmmm. Pretty bird. What's his name?" She seems to be feeling a bit better, more alert.
"His name is Carc, Ursa," Noh says hesitantly, "how are you feeling?"
OOC: Did you notice Carc did his new trick? :D
My sore head says that Carc needs more practice ;)
TheDM wrote:Also, I feel maybe Carc would sense Ursa's great power as a druid, and perhaps greet her or gravitate towards her in some way. Do you agree and (if so) what would that look like?
Carc would absolutely feel comfortable with her!
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by mushgnome » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:54 pm

Beppo fires his two snowballs with uncanny accuracy. One boy stumbles and loses his shoe in the snow. The other boy gets hit directly in the solar plexus and has the wind knocked out of him. He sits down hard and has to catch his breath!

The remaining 7 children launch their snowballs at Beppo's position, but the squirrelly hobbet is a moving target, two steps ahead of their clumsy snowball barrage. The boys are playing snowball-checkers while Beppo plays snowball-chess!

Does Beppo hold the line using the snowbanks at the side of the road for cover, or does he use his racial stealth skill to melt back into the woods, or does he go on the offensive and aggressively take the fight out into the open?
Beppo wins initiative 5-1.

Two snowballs 2d20 = 16, 15, hit twice for 2hp, 6hp "damage."

There are 7 boys left in the snowball fight. Against their volley of snowballs, Beppo gets a save vs. dragon breath for half/no damage. Because Hobbets save as 4 levels higher, he needs a 12 and rolls 1d20 = 12 exactly!

The snowballs miss him completely.

Post by mushgnome » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:01 pm

Meanwhile in Noh-land...

The name Carc rattles around in ol' Ursa's brainpan, and she improvises a silly little musical ditty: "Carc Carc Glo-Glark, Banana-Fanna Fo-Barc, fi fi fo Fark, B'dark! Carc!"

Noh wonders why Ursa's mind is so scrambled? Frostbite ought to be a simple physical injury; it shouldn't have these mental effects. Noh examines Ursa's bandages and concludes that Frederick has done a capable job patching her up and feeding her the right herbs. Short of any magical healing, she is in good hands.

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”