The Seventh Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by Scottenkainen » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:42 am

Re: The Seventh Adventure

Beppo hated raisins in food, but he was hungry so he said nothing and took one with a smile. Stepping away from the conversation about Ursa's condition, Beppo moved to the fire and sat down next to Ursa.

"I hope you don't mind the company," he said to her, if she appeared to be conscious. If she wasn't, he took a closer look to make sure she was still breathing.

Post by mushgnome » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:03 pm

Frederick expertly pours the batter onto the griddle, and the pancakes begin to sizzle. He puts the kettle on for coffee. Over his shoulder as he works, he responds to Noh's question: "I think she'll live, but it's more than just the frostbite. She's not all there mentally. Very sluggish and lethargic, like an animal hibernating in winter. She's in no condition to cast spells, otherwise she could simply heal herself. Can I get your opinion as a Druid? We found her clothes neatly folded and her belongings organized, so we don't think she was abducted or assaulted, we think she was out in the forest by choice. What would cause a Druid to do that: Take off her clothes and run around the wilderness in the middle of the night?"
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:09 pm

Ursa rouses and stares back at Beppo with wise, playful eyes. Beppo can tell she is an "old soul" with a deep connection to nature. Her cheeks are raw from exposure to the cold, and her lips are blistered from frostbite. Her hands and feet are covered in thick bandages.

She cracks a smile at Beppo and whines, "But I don't WANT to go to school today!" She winks mischievously at Beppo, as if part of her is self-aware of the ridiculousness of the situation.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by Scottenkainen » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:41 pm

"Huh," Beppo said out loud, as he had no idea how else to respond to the strange "old soul" next to him. He busied himself on warming up until the pancakes were also warmed up, then came to get some.

"I feel like I had six whole adventures just on the way here," he said to Frederick and Noh. "Do either of you happen to know where I could find a seventh one?"

Post by mushgnome » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:44 pm

Frederick exclaims, "Adventure?!? I don't know anything about Adventures. I'm just a simple, boring-old pancake purveyor. Speaking of which: The griddle's hot. What can I make for you? What's your favorite?"

He hands Beppo and Noh each a steaming mug of rich, bitter dandelion-root "coffee."

Post by rredmond » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:22 pm

Scottenkainen wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:41 am
"Do either of you happen to know where I could find a seventh one?"
:lol:

Mushgnome: Just getting back into the druid thing. Is there anything we can do for her? Medicinal plants?
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by Scottenkainen » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:14 pm

"Cakes I can put in my mouth," Beppo answered. "I'm not choosy, just serve me something warm for my belly and surprise me."

He continued talking. "Yes sirs, I'm an adventurer, or plan to be. I heard there was something of a famous dungeon around these parts. If there is one, who should I go talk to about finding it?"

Post by mushgnome » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:11 pm

Mushgnome: Just getting back into the druid thing. Is there anything we can do for her? Medicinal plants?
Great question!

Just thinking in-character for a moment, probably my first step would be, examine her condition and evaluate the quality of care she's already received. Are her bandages sloppy, or competently applied? Has Frederick been putting salve on her wounds, or feeding her any tonic broths or infusions?

Medicinal plants are tricky this time of year due to the cold and snow. Maybe some forest resources are available year-round, like the bark of a tree? Any foraging checks would be at a penalty due to the winter season. But I like where your mind went. You are thinking in-character as a Druid.

Thinking big-picture, metagame: Real-world recovery from frostbite takes weeks, but all it would take is a couple of profitable days of adventuring, to level up your character and learn Cure Light Wounds, Cure Disease, Neutralize Poison, etc.. The best way to help Ursa, or any other NPC for that matter, is for Noh to unlock his full potential, through the process of Adventuring.

Post by mushgnome » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:27 pm

Scottenkainen wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:14 pm
"Cakes I can put in my mouth," Beppo answered. "I'm not choosy, just serve me something warm for my belly and surprise me."

He continued talking. "Yes sirs, I'm an adventurer, or plan to be. I heard there was something of a famous dungeon around these parts. If there is one, who should I go talk to about finding it?"
Frederick simply shrugs in ignorance whenever Beppo asks about Adventures or Dungeons.

He offers up a sampler trio of pancakes: Original Recipe Buttermilk, Apple Pecan, and an unfamiliar, exotic grain called Keen-Wah. They are served with fresh butter and real maple syrup.

Noh gets to try the Pancake Sampler as well.

The pancakes are, by far, the best Beppo has ever had in his life. "And for your next course?" Frederick asks a few minutes later, after Beppo has cleaned his plate.

Post by Scottenkainen » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:46 am

"Hmm, hmmmm....I'd like another buttermilk pancake, if you please," Beppo said between bites of the last pancake, "plus if you happened to have any bacon...? And a beer to wash it down? Oh my - perhaps I should ask what all this will cost me first? I'd best make sure I have the coin for all this..."

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”