The Seventh Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by mushgnome » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:14 pm

Re: The Seventh Adventure

Dougal doesn't find anything unusual about the chest. It's full of ordinary, household objects. Furnishings for a small apartment. Friends over for tea.

The chess set is very interesting...

First of all: Did the chess set even survive the fire? Save vs. Dragon Breath d20=19, yes. Second: It's a 'very special' chess set, so I'll give Dougal an Investigate roll: 1d6=5, a very good result. Best possible result without escalating to a potential Mythos check.

1. Whoever was sitting on the tuffet was playing white.
2. The white pieces are made from ivory (very valuable!) and depict a specie of rubbery, fungoid beings.
3. The black pieces are made from precious ebony and depict a race of long-limbed, spidery humanoids.
4. White is stepping into a trap! The black player (seated in the chair) has offered a cunning sacrifice, and white has accepted. But...
5. Black doesn't see it coming. White has forced mate in 5 moves. It's a genius counterattack. A masterclass in chess.
6. Blaaaah!! Dougal sweeps the pieces off the board in frustration.

Without realizing it, Dougal finds himself sitting in the black player's chair. His heart is racing, and he's imagining how it would feel, to lose so badly. Why is he so upset?? It's only a game...
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by Scottenkainen » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:18 am

Beppo carefully coiled his rope back up, since no one had needed it.

Post by Bastet1002 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:56 pm

Robur is a little freaked out about something he saw below, but relieved help is here with a climbing rope. He climbs up the rope quickly behind two other hobbits who were down in the webs. One of the hobbits goes all the way up, but the one ahead of him ducks into a room in the side of the cliff below the ledge. Robur pauses long enough to look in and calls out, "What in the shire are you doing? Get out of there this instant! Climb up good fellow and get to safety! Help is here!" He waits a minute. If the hobbit doesn't come out after about a minute, Robur calls up, "My name is Robur! A fellow hobbit. One of your friends went into a strange cliff room. I'm going in after him to talk some sense into him and see if he's alright."
Robur Boulderhill, Hobbit Fighter 1 / Druid 1 / Thief 1 (MV 12", AC 6 - w/ shield, , HP 7) leather, wood shield, cudgel, sling, Hobbit stiletto, boots high hard, hooded cloak, backpack, scroll cure lit. wound + wat breath, Background: Mead maker

Post by acodispo » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:29 pm

"Uh oh, was it Dougal that went into a strange cliff room?"

This would be Willie's assumption.

"If you want to investigate, go ahead -- we'll keep this rope steady & keep a strong guard up here! Oh, and nice to meet you, Robur!"

Willie sees about setting some hobbets to keep a watch out.

"Can somebody please check the cave just northwest of here and make sure there aren't any zombies there? Eh, I mean -- no spoilers!!"
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:43 pm

OOC: Is this a good time for a rest turn? (while Dougal searches)
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:46 pm

With the game ended, Dougal quickly picks up the chess pieces and puts them into a bag. Maybe not ALL of the treasure has been lost!

Dougal then climbs the rope back to the top.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by Bastet1002 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:55 pm

Robur staggers in the room exhausted and plops down on the floor to rummage for food, and see what's going on with the other hobbit. "So, that's it mate?" says Robur in an accusing tone while stuffing his mouth full of cracker-like bread, dried fruit, jerky, and water from a wine skin. "Well, I want you to listen good and well shire friend. I lost some friends today. That is why I'm alone."

Robur starts to get a little teary eyed, but continues, "You really should be ashamed of yourself. I mean now is not the time. You almost died, and your friends came to rescue you and all you can think of is a silly ivory gaming set! Hey where are you going! I'm still talking to you!"

Robur grabs one of Dougal's shoulders as he is leaving using all his leadership skills he can muster, and yells at him, "You go and take your loot, but you better do good and apologize to your mates! They stuck they're necks out for you and me. And they don't even know me! Let that rest on your conscience!"

Robur lets Dougal go, and feeling disgruntled and weepy, quickly finishes his meal. Then he has a quick look around the room before gathering up his things and climbing the rope to safety.

OOC: Anything of interest in this room?
Robur Boulderhill, Hobbit Fighter 1 / Druid 1 / Thief 1 (MV 12", AC 6 - w/ shield, , HP 7) leather, wood shield, cudgel, sling, Hobbit stiletto, boots high hard, hooded cloak, backpack, scroll cure lit. wound + wat breath, Background: Mead maker

Post by Scottenkainen » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:05 pm

Since he wasn't needed here, Beppo decided to follow the suggestion of checking the cave just northwest of there and making sure there were not any zombies there. He snuck off, as stealthily as an apprentice thief could.

Post by rredmond » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:24 pm

If Willie needs no further help with the rope, Noh moves a little away to keep an eye on where Willie is, and a weather eye (as long as he can see him) on Beppo. Trying to ensure no surprises, while still looking around for any interesting fauna or flora and giving Carc a scritch.
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:54 pm

Dougal snorts at the new comer. "One, don't touch me. I don't know you. Two, I just helped save your arse from being a spidergoat meal and/or from falling to your death. How about you save your lectures for someone else?" He stuffs the bag with the chess pieces in it into his backpack and shoulders it.

Before Robur finishes his meal, Dougal climbs the rope, taking the lantern with him, muttering something about not wanting the light to hurt the insolent hobbet's eyes...
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”