The Sixth Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by mushgnome » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:38 pm

Re: The Sixth Adventure

Bilfur has never encountered anything like this green slime. The only thing he can say for sure, he gets a strong intuitive sense that the slime is not hostile, aggressive, or evil. It's more of a passive hazard to the unwary, like a poisonous toadstool.

There are, indeed, rivulets of slime running up the walls. It's kind of like rain on a glass window, but in reverse, flowing up instead of down. The slime that drips down to the ground, seems to have an instinct to return to the ceiling. But it is very slow-moving; Bilfur isn't worried that it's going to chase after him, or anything like that.

OOC: Let's roll 1d6 to see how much Bilfur knows about green slime. 1d6 = 2, not much.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:44 pm

Kiplyn watches the slime intently and looks around the edges of the room. "Well one thing is sure we don't want to get that stuff on ourselves. Either we need dash through there carefully or figure out how to destroy this, but you know how it works we stand here too long and something is going come around asking if we like to be their lunch."
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by coffee » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:47 am

Wilbur keeps an eye on the backtrail of the party as they discuss this "slime" they've found. It doesn't sound at all nice to him, but he really can't see it very well from his position, so he'll rely on the discretion of his new friends.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by kipper » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:41 pm

OOC: Apologies, somehow I missed the new posts on this thread!

Dame Simonetta also views the slime with distaste, nodding in agreement with her fellow hobbets. "I'm certainly not going to run through that stuff and hope for the best!" She states with finality. "Even if we could find something to cover our heads and our feet, we'd need to plan for the trip back as well."

"We could try to burn it out with oil, but then the tunnel behind us might act as the chimney and draw the smoke towards us...", she ponders aloud. "We could try lying on our bellies but I'm not sure if that would work. Alternately, we could retreat back up and then send the fastest hobbit down to start the fire and then run back up."

Post by mushgnome » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:21 pm

OOC: Your DM rules, there is zero chance the party will asphyxiate on smoke, if you attempt to burn the green slime. I like that you are debating it though, from a role playing perspective.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:59 am

OOC: Does anyone remember the AD&D Wilderness and Dungeoneer's Survival Guides? They were fun for inspiration, and maybe cherrypicking a few game mechanics, but if you tried to play the rules as written, oh man it was brutal. Like, on your way to fight Smaug, the party has to wade through a stream, and all the metal-armored characters die of hypothermia.

My point being: Our goal with this campaign is to have an immersive spelunking adventure, but not too much realism that the game stops being "heroic" and fun.

Post by mgtremaine » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:48 pm

Kiplyn nods at the idea of burning the patch of green horror and reaches into his backpack for a flask oil. "How many of these do you figure we nee to throw? Everyone's got one right..."
Well god knows we have enough Oil, I just counted 24 flasks across the character sheets so.. let's get this done.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:22 pm

OOC: This plan could work! I would roll to hit vs. AC 9, roll damage against the slime's hit points, and that will determine how many flasks of oil it takes.

For the benefit of the new guy: I do not allow "Molotov cocktail" oil attacks in my campaign. Flaming oil attacks are a two-step process, of coating the target with oil and lighting it with a flaming torch.

Given that 1) most of the slime is on the ceiling, not the floor; and 2) you're trying very, very hard not to get any on you: Help me visualize the mechanics of your plan? If I'm satisfied with your plan, then I will probably rule that it automatically succeeds, the only variable being how much oil it takes.

If I'm being a little nit-picky here, it's only because you might encounter more green slime in the future, and it's good to establish a 'standard operating procedure.'

Post by mgtremaine » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:51 pm

I figure if everyone but Bilfur does underhand toss up at the ceiling the broken flasks should spread a fair amount of oil both on the ceiling and floor. The Bilfur can hurl a torch up there to go for ignition. The tricky part is grouping the pattern close enough so single point Ignition will spread...

Post by mgtremaine » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:53 pm

Kiplyn eyes Bilfur "Doesn't look you have any Oil on you so how about you be the Torch thrower? I've heard stories that Druids are good with fire. The rest of us will try to soak the ceiling." He make and underhand gesture of throwing the flash upwards....

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”