The Sixth Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by dtspurrier » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:19 pm

Re: The Sixth Adventure

Bilfur says, " heard about necromancy now I know why I hate it. THanks for the assistance." Blifur will move up ready to enter the next room

Post by mushgnome » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:46 pm

Kiplyn kicks at the skeleton with his foot. As mentioned prior, it is wearing a tattered silk robe with the sigil of a spider. It's not a "nice" looking spider, and Kiplyn probably wouldn't feel good about wearing this robe in public, is the vague sense he gets. Kiplyn also sees that the skeleton has a dagger on its belt (though the weapon never left its scabbard during the fight) and is wearing a silk lanyard around its neck. Hanging from the lanyard is a thin piece of bone, about the length of Kiplyn's little finger.

The skeletons retreat from the sacred Owl, allowing the party to move through the door into the secret room (Area 33). The undead fall back until Dame Simonetta has them boxed into an alcove at the southern end of the room. The skeletons gnash their teeth and flail their claws at the Dame, but some invisible force prevents them from approaching within 10' of her. For as long as this stalemate holds, the other party members should be safe to explore the room unmolested.

There is a lot going on in this room; a lot to explore and a lot of details to take in. It would take the party at least a turn to search the area, possibly longer depending on the detail of the search. For starters there are 12 identical footlockers to rummage through (one at the foot of each cot), and that's just in the sleeping area at the north end of the room. There is also a living/dining area with tables and chairs, storage shelves, a kitchen/prep area, and then at the southern end (where Dame Simonetta has the skeletons trapped) is kind of a natural grotto area, dripping with water and overgrown with moss.

Dougal examines the first footlocker masterfully (6 on his roll) and finds no sign of any traps. Using this insight, he does a quick sweep of each bunk and declares all of the other footlockers safe to open, in turn.

OOC: I have updated the map thread accordingly. The secret barracks (Area 33) neatly fills out the NE corner of the level map.

I feel like the current situation is not quite combat rounds, but also not quite exploration turns. I wouldn't allow you to, for example, take a Rest Turn here, not while the skeletons are still a potential threat. Athena has certainly smiled on Dame Simonetta here today, but the limits and duration of that power are yet-to-be-determined (from the Dame's perspective).

Can I get a quick sense of everyone's search priorities? Assuming that you can't take it all in at once, where do you focus your attention, initially? Are you searching the "bodies" of the fallen skeletons? Opening the footlockers? Spreading out and searching other parts of the cavern? Moving south to Dame Simonetta's location?

Also I am curious: Do you leave the secret door open, or do you close it behind you, while you search the room?
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:03 am

Kiplyn bends over to retrieve both items. ”Hello what’s this, best to take these along, this funny bone on a string might a key or something”. He would then follow the others into room still expecting the worse.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:30 am

Kiplyn takes a quick look at the two items as he pockets them. The dagger is silvered which adds significantly to its value! The bone pendant is a thin and hollow tube. Kiplyn would guess maybe a bird bone? There are no markings on the bone. There is a single hole carved into the tube, near one of its ends, and then the silk lanyard loops through that hole. As a keen flautist himself, Kiplyn recognizes the hole as a fipple (like a recorder or tin whistle) and surmises this is some type of single-pitched bone whistle.

Kiplyn has every reason to believe the other skeleton "bodies" might have similar treasure. But, he leaves that mystery for now, stepping through the door so he doesn't get left behind by his friends. He can always finish searching the skeletons on his way out, and there may be even greater treasure within...
I forget how much silver daggers are worth in Delving Deeper. 25gp? 30gp?
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by kipper » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:32 pm

Dame Simonetta orders the other hobbets to search of the footlockers. (Whether they choose to obey her or not is entirely up to them!)

Post by acodispo » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:47 pm

Once everybody is inside and the secret door closed, Willie sets his warhammer down within easy reach, and readies his sling.

"Come on, folks! It isn't safe to leave an enemy alive -- eh, I mean leave an enemy dead -- let's kill 'em! Well, I mean let's -- you know what I mean."

Willie thinks five hobbets with slings should be able to finish off 8 skeletons handily, especially if Dame S's warding keeps them away. If they break toward her, she can run back to the line of slingers and we'll cover her retreat.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by kipper » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:18 pm

acodispo wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:47 pm
Willie thinks five hobbets with slings should be able to finish off 8 skeletons handily, especially if Dame S's warding keeps them away. If they break toward her, she can run back to the line of slingers and we'll cover her retreat.

Dame Simonetta agrees with this plan, but wants to search the footlockers first in case everything goes pear-shaped. If everyone decides to attack first though, she will play her part in the plan.

Post by dtspurrier » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:39 pm

bilfurs pulls out his sling and fires as well

Post by mushgnome » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:06 am

To Bilfur and Willie's dismay, their slingstones go sailing harmlessly through the skeletons' rib cages! It would seem the skeletons are immune to normal missiles due to their lack of vital organs.

Dame Simonetta continues to keep them at bay with her Owl Medallion. The skeletons cannot approach within 10 feet of her while she is brandishing the symbol of Athena. So long as she keeps them boxed in the narrow southern tip of the cave, it's a stalemate situation. She has no idea what the duration of the effect will be. (Keep in mind there is no Cleric class in this setting, so Dame Simonetta has no cultural context for what is happening.)

Post by mgtremaine » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:53 pm

Kiplyn observers the stones passing through he skeletons and shrugs. He turns towards the chests and starts rummaging his way down the line.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”