The Sixth Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by mushgnome » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:49 am

The Sixth Adventure

January 2nd, Hobbet Adventure Year 2 (HAY 2)

It is late afternoon in the village of Hornpipe. A solitary figure comes trudging out of the forest. It is a wee Hobbet, a bedraggled traveler hoping to find shelter before nightfall. He was lost in the woods until the wafting aroma of pancakes guided him to civilization.

The lonesome Hobbet finds himself at the front door of what surely must be the house of pancakes. Smoke wafts from the chimney, and the smell of fresh cooking is heavy in the air. But the door is shut, and the windows are papered over. It doesn't look like they are open for business?

@dtspurrier, the adventures of Bilfor the strange begin NOW! Tell us a bit about this unusual Hobbet, and how he was able to survive the New Year's Eve blizzard, all alone in the wilderness? What is his reaction (if any) to the CLOSED sign on the door?
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by dtspurrier » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:37 pm

Re: The Sixth Adventure

Bilfur not being smart and unable to read, moves to the door and knocks. If there is no answer he knocks again. After that he attempts to tear off the paper and enters the bakery

Post by mushgnome » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:44 pm

The lone hobbet looks oddly out of place, like this is unfamiliar territory for him. The local birds, squirrels, and woodland creatures observe him with calm curiosity.

OOC: Perfect introduction! Welcome to the party. The other PCs are incoming...
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by kipper » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:43 pm

mushgnome wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:41 pm
When Dame Simonetta shows him the bronze armour, [Frederick] lets out a low whistle of amazement. "Nice find! A lot of people think Dwarves are imaginary (and we want the humans to believe there is no such thing) but I know for a fact dwarves are real. Or at least, they once were real. Nobody has seen one in a long time. But it is a family secret that my ancestor Original Frederick went on many adventures with dwarf companions. I implore you: do NOT show that breastplate to a human blacksmith! It would raise too many questions, how you got ahold of such an ancient and oddly crafted artifact. I suggest sending it back to the Hobbet Homes with Farmer Skip Pebbles. He can deliver it to a hobbet blacksmith and have it fitted to your measurements (with steel reinforcements to meet modern protective standards) then delivered back here on his next trip."

Just then, there is a knock at the door. And then a second knock. "Would one of you check who is there?" asks Frederick. "If it's those annoying human children, tell them we are closed for a Hobbet Holiday."

Dame Simonetta is too engrossed in her conversation with Frederick at the moment to deal with whomever is at the door. "Yes, that is a good plan. I've left my stash of treasure here, you have my permission to draw upon it for any expenses at all related to the armour. Please ensure Farmer Skip Pebbles is amply compensated for his time and effort, and the blacksmith as well, there shall be no skimping! In fact, please draw in addition a suitable amount for yourself as agent in this transaction."

Post by ehiker133 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:15 pm

Dougal prepares a scowl and yanks the door open, drawing in a burst of cold air and a small drift of snow.

"Can't you read? We're clos... oh!" Dougal stammers as he realizes it isn't the human children.

"'e's a hobbet! Well, come in, come in. It's chill out today."
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:46 pm

kipper wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:43 pm
Dame Simonetta is too engrossed in her conversation with Frederick at the moment to deal with whomever is at the door. "Yes, that is a good plan. I've left my stash of treasure here, you have my permission to draw upon it for any expenses at all related to the armour. Please ensure Farmer Skip Pebbles is amply compensated for his time and effort, and the blacksmith as well, there shall be no skimping! In fact, please draw in addition a suitable amount for yourself as agent in this transaction."
Frederick says, "I know just the hobbet: Greta Flint of Old Pumpkin Forge. She's the only one I trust to sharpen ol' Chopper. Her family is Stout clan and is rumored to have a drop of dwarfish blood. She is a wizard with the blacksmith's hammer and can mold that armor any shape you want. Any special instructions? Do you have a family sigil or coat of arms? Don't worry about money up front; we will settle up on delivery, satisfaction guaranteed."

He then notices the owl medallion, which Dame Simonetta has decided to wear prominently. "That is a fine looking owl! I think your medallion is a holy symbol. Going way back, before the dawn of Hobbet History, legend says the wisest dwarves could commune with their gods, who blessed them with magic powers to smite the undead and unholy. But when the dwarves died out, the gods stopped listening, and now Clerics are only a myth. If you choose to wear this, it is a big responsibility. You should always fight chivalrously to uphold the Law. Do you understand?"

Post by mushgnome » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:18 pm

ehiker133 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:15 pm
Dougal prepares a scowl and yanks the door open, drawing in a burst of cold air and a small drift of snow.

"Can't you read? We're clos... oh!" Dougal stammers as he realizes it isn't the human children.

"'e's a hobbet! Well, come in, come in. It's chill out today."
From Dougal's perspective, the newcomer has the appearance of a wild-eyed bush-hobbet, almost feral in appearance. He senses an attunement to nature that he also felt from his old friends Noh and Potty.

And from Bilfur's perspective, Dougal appears as a swashbucklin' burglar-type, with the steely gleam in his eye of an experienced Adventurer. The unfamiliar sensations of "indoors" call to Bilfur through the open doorway.

The two hobbets instinctively sense in each other a kindred philosophical or moral alignment. (OOC: They are the only two party members of Neutral alignment, which they can tell about each other at first glance.)

Post by kipper » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:02 pm

mushgnome wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:46 pm
Frederick says, "I know just the hobbet: Greta Flint of Old Pumpkin Forge. She's the only one I trust to sharpen ol' Chopper. Her family is Stout clan and is rumored to have a drop of dwarfish blood. She is a wizard with the blacksmith's hammer and can mold that armor any shape you want. Any special instructions? Do you have a family sigil or coat of arms? Don't worry about money up front; we will settle up on delivery, satisfaction guaranteed."

He then notices the owl medallion, which Dame Simonetta has decided to wear prominently. "That is a fine looking owl! I think your medallion is a holy symbol. Going way back, before the dawn of Hobbet History, legend says the wisest dwarves could commune with their gods, who blessed them with magic powers to smite the undead and unholy. But when the dwarves died out, the gods stopped listening, and now Clerics are only a myth. If you choose to wear this, it is a big responsibility. You should always fight chivalrously to uphold the Law. Do you understand?"

"I understand, and I shall endeavour to live up to the standards of the ancients!" Dame Simonetta declaims solemnly. "In fact, your words have inspired me further. I will have this owl engraved upon the armour as well!"

The Dame will locate a suitable paper and pencil and take a rubbing of the medallion for the benefit of Greta. In addition, she will make various sketches of features which may not show adequately on the rubbing, and additional sketches of how she imagines the finished armour should appear. Once this task is completed, she will carefully place the papers into an envelope to be sent along with the armour. She get so carried away that she includes plans for a matching shield, if there is enough bronze leftover after completing the armour.

Post by mgtremaine » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:25 pm

Kiplyn thinks awhile all the rest is going on... Eventually he asked Frederick "How do I destroy this thing? I don't have to walk to Fiery Mountain or anything crazy like that right? I don't like ideas of secret temples where the Big Folks act all crazy, it's bad for the neighborhood."
Let's destroy and I'll pay up out my funds.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:08 pm

Frederick watches with amusement as Dame Simonetta goes slightly overboard designing her dream armour.

To Kiplyn he says, "I'm not sure how to destroy it, but can I help? I have some tools in my shed, like a sledgehammer, axe, and saw. Whatever you do, don't show this to Ursa. She's always had a loosesy-goosey attitude toward Law and Chaos."

OOC: Frederick could use some help in the MYTH department and is happy to assist. Kiplyn chips in 150gp from his own savings, to make sure the other hobbets aren't out-of-pocket on this experiment.

If any of the other players want to join in the idol-destruction ceremony, it would be a fun way to restore 1 point of MYTH. But you could also just restore your MYTH through natural rest; this is purely an optional role-playing thing.

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”