The Fifth Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by mgtremaine » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:08 pm

Re: The Fifth Adventure

Kiplyn would carry the bag here and there and be somewhat unsure about setting it down. He would eventually approach Frederick "Beggin you pardon Mr. Frederick sir, but I found something odd and un-natural like down there and I'm not sure what to do with it. I'm not even sure if you want look at it but it's a little statue that uh well " Kiplyn's voice would drop to whisper "it glows and its horrible looking monster with tentacles on it's face and wings"
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:59 pm

kipper wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:34 pm
mushgnome wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:25 pm
Dame Simonetta: Is she going to cash in the owl medallion, or keep wearing it?

Dame Simonetta will keep the medallion (and continue wearing it prominently). Since she is also keeping the armour, that's a total value of 490gp, but here share from this delve is only 250gp. Therefore, she will put 240gp of her previously-earned treasure into the pot to balance it out.
Everyone catch what happened there? Dame Simonetta has honorably given each of you 60gp to buy out your 1/5 shares of the owl medallion and bronze armor. I've updated your inventory sheets accordingly. This is just for accounting purposes, and doesn't affect your xp for this treasure. Generally speaking with xp from treasure, I like to pool it equally between the players. I know some DMs do prefer a more granular approach.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:29 pm

mgtremaine wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:08 pm
Kiplyn would carry the bag here and there and be somewhat unsure about setting it down. He would eventually approach Frederick "Beggin you pardon Mr. Frederick sir, but I found something odd and un-natural like down there and I'm not sure what to do with it. I'm not even sure if you want look at it but it's a little statue that uh well " Kiplyn's voice would drop to whisper "it glows and its horrible looking monster with tentacles on it's face and wings"
Frederick brusquely slaps the bag away and averts his eyes. "Ugh! Keep that thing away from me. I've seen enough of those nasty things for a lifetime; they give me nightmares! You have two choices: First, I could take care of it for you. I know a friend-of-a-friend, who can 'fence' items like this to the Humans. They will probably put it in one of their churches. Not in the main chapel, but in the little hidden altar in the back where the church elders practice their secret rituals. It might stay here in Hornpipe, or they might ship it down the river to Arkham or Innsmouth. There are collectors who will pay top dollar for anything with tentacles."

("Dollar" is hobbet slang for a type of pancake, and the phrase "top dollar" refers to the top pancake on the stack, the best pancake.)

"Your other choice is, you can destroy it! You won't get any gold for it, but you'll get the satisfaction of knowing there's one less of those things the world. Maybe that will help you sleep better at night."

OOC: In game terms, Kiplyn gets the XP no matter what. I have already split up the 400gp value of the stone idol and awarded 80gp to each PC. This was based on the assumption Kiplyn would sell or fence the idol, at which point it would vanish from play into the background mythology of the campaign. If he chooses to keep it or destroy it, then ideally he should pay out the other PCs their share, like Dame Simonetta did with the medallion and armor.

If Kiplyn chooses to destroy the idol, the primary benefit is that it restores the 1 point of MYTHOS he gained for finding it! Generally speaking, hobbets can lower their MYTH through such actions as: destroying a mythos-related artifact, burning a blasphemous book, thwarting a sorcerous ritual, slaying a monster that should not be, etc.

However, since Kiplyn can restore his MYTH to zero with a hot meal and a good night's sleep, it's debatable whether there would be any benefit to destroying the idol. In this context, it would be more of a cool role-playing things. If he were miles underground and teetering at the brink of insanity, then it would be a no-brainer: It would make strategic sense in that context, to destroy the idol and drop his MYTH from 5 to 4.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:30 pm

Okay, I'm closing this out. It's been a good Adventure. All chit-chat to the new thread, please.

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”