The Fifth Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by acodispo » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:17 pm

Re: The Fifth Adventure

"Do you think she was a Dwarf, Dame S? Look at the beard! It's fantastic!"

Then, as he's examining the Owl Medallion with great care, he asks: "What do you think this word means?"

Willie, alas, does not know Greek.
mushgnome wrote:Also, I wish I didn't have to type these words, but now that I've seen it, I just can't un-see it. Am I crazy or has the artist depicted the kampfult with a pair of human-shaped breasts?!?
At least we now know a useful fact about Kampfult biology: they are mammals! :D
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:11 am

Well versed in the classics, Dame Simonetta recognizes the symbols are borrowed from the Greek alphabet and spell the name ATHENA, goddess of wisdom.

Dame Simonetta does a quick inventory check, and realizes the bronze armor would substantially encumber her. (OOC I have her currently at 146 encumbrance, not including the current haul. Going over 150lb would drop her to 3" movement, which we don't want.)

Willie has a snack and regains a hit point. What does he eat? That food item will be gone for the rest of the Adventure.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by acodispo » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:31 am

Willie digs into his pack and roots around for a bit. He pulls out a handful of something wrapped in a cloth and begins nibbling on it as they contemplate the Dwarf's remains: several buttery, flaky DROP BISCUITS he threw together with some leftover pancake batter before they left the surface! They are still a little warm, and perfectly fluffy -- he feels much better, and eats all the crumbs, too, before carefully tucking then napkin back into this pack.

Willie sees Dame S checking the armour and agrees it looks like an Important Something to bring back to the surface.

"Maybe I can help carry that?"

Is the armour one single piece? or could it be distributed amongst several hobbets?
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:56 pm

OOC: Let's do a quick encumbrance check.

Carrying capacity for normal strength characters (we use the table from Appendix A, page 39):
0-75lb = 12" movement, 76-100 = 9", 101-150 = 6", 151-225 = 3"
For Willie and Wilbur, 0-100=12", 101-150=9", 151-200=6", 201-300=3"

Current encumbrance (not including most recent haul):
Willie 169lb (6" move)
Dougal 91 (9")
Dame Simonetta 146 (6")
Kiplyn 94 (9")
Wilbur 189 (6")

Dame Simonetta takes the 2 potions (2lb encumbrance each) which puts her to 150lb.

Who is taking Athena's Owl Medallion and who is carrying the 30lb sack of silver nuggets?

As to the bronze armour, let's say it can be split into two parts: 30lb of smaller pieces that can be tetris'd into a large sack, and the breastplate, which is 20lb and bulky, so maybe it gets strapped to the outside of your backpack or something.

Where is the party headed next? If you're returning to the surface, then I'm willing to handwave it all, say that you take turns carrying it and eventually make it back to the surface (barring any wandering monster checks). But if you're soldiering on, it's good to know who's carrying what.

For what it's worth, I don't think anyone has enough xp to level up from this encounter. Willie needs about 400xp to reach 2nd level fighter, and this encounter isn't quite going to get him there, assuming an equal split of the treasure. If the other players wanted to be generous and let Willie take all 400xp for the medallion, or something along those lines, I would allow it.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by kipper » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:47 pm

acodispo wrote:"Do you think she was a Dwarf, Dame S? Look at the beard! It's fantastic!"

"I suppose she probably was. Can't say I've ever seen a dwarf before... and I guess I still can't now, we can only image what she looked like in life." Dame Simonetta replies.

acodispo wrote:Then, as he's examining the Owl Medallion with great care, he asks: "What do you think this word means?"

"It spells out 'ATHENA', the greek goddess of wisdom," she replies. "I wonder why this dwarf might be carrying it? She was clearly more than just a miner," she adds as an aside to herself.

Dame S just took the potions 'for now', she's not claiming ownership of them, we can distribute them properly later on.
It looks like we're getting pretty encumbered with the bronze armour, and if we head back up we can also see if we can find out more info about the medallion and the potions. We could alternately check out the other caverns nearby though, since they're not out of the way. I think we may as well continue exploring the nearby areas while we're down here, Willie is still OK on hitpoints with 6.

Post by mushgnome » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:23 pm

OOC: Just a thought, you could drop off the bronze armor and silver nuggets in the well room (area 18) and pick them up on your way out. You don't get the sense that the creature down the well is a threat to climb out and mess with your stuff. Area 18 seems to be a "hub" of the dungeon, so there's a good chance you'll pass back through that way.

Dame Simonetta has a pretty good basic knowledge of who Athena is; she's not hearing that name for the first time. Greek mythology is not forbidden/hidden lore, in this setting. Educated kids from good families (like Dame Simonetta) would know a bit of history about ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt, etc. just as in our "real world." Dame Simonetta probably knows facts like, Athena is the daughter of Zeus, she is a badass warrior, owls are her totem animal, etc.

Post by mgtremaine » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:05 pm

Kiplyn complains about the weight of all his equipment to no-one in particular before sitting down to join Willie in a light snack. [Mark off a scone]
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by acodispo » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:19 pm

After his snack, Willie stands up, stretches (groans in pain), and checks his armour straps & pack.

"Well, what say we do a little more exploring, Adventure Club? I'm up for it. Let's go see about the passages northwest of here! We could drop this heavy stuff -- the silver nuggets and the armour -- in the old ghoul nest just to the north! Will you keep that medallion for now, Dame S?"
The ghoul nest seems a marginally safer stow point to me for some reason, but I agree let's stow the heavy stuff somewhere and do a little more digging around.

Post by kipper » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:52 pm

Dame Simonetta will take the medallion.

Dame Simonetta looks a bit sceptical at the prospect of leaving the armour and silver unguarded. "After all this trouble, and you're not worried some little sneak will come by and snatch it? We know there are rats down here at the least, not to mention what else!"
I'm incredibly keen on the medallion, I was holding off on it in case someone else was interested (since Dame S is already taking the armour and the potions), but since no one else has stepped forward of course I'll take it!

Post by mushgnome » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:42 pm

OOC: Are we thinking A, B, C or D?

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”