The Fifth Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by mgtremaine » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:33 pm

Re: The Fifth Adventure

"Whoosh... I need and bath, a stack of johnnycakes, and a good sleep. Let's head back up..."Kiplyn would say while frantically looking for pests on his person.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by acodispo » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:32 am

"I feel sorry for the beasts now -- let's leave them be."

Willie's ready to retrieve the stash and get back to the surface! Let's not drop our guard on the way back, though.
Welcome dtspurrier! :)
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:11 pm

So the plan is to pick up the newb and then come back down to finish off the fennecs?
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:17 pm

I thought the plan was to go back get 12 wineskins, strap them to your body and lower your character down the well? :shock: Let's go with your plan minus chasing the fennec around. Maybe it's time to go deeper?
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:32 pm

lol. Dougal is ALL for pressing his luck with his Cthulhu mythos, but... that's just asking for insanity!!
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by acodispo » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:00 pm

mgtremaine wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:17 pm
I thought the plan was to go back get 12 wineskins, strap them to your body and lower your character down the well?
:lol:
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:31 am

Glad to see you guys getting into the spirit of the game!

A friendly reminder that our house rule gives you the option to reset your MYTHOS to zero between Adventures. One of the reasons I made that house rule is so you can have fun with the system, without feeling like every MYTH check has permanent, life-altering consequences for your character. In some Cthulhu-esque systems, "sanity loss" can knock your character out of the game for good, but I don't want you to feel like the stakes are quite so high, here at Hobbet Heroes.

@mgtremaine, do you remember your character Waymon Peck? If I recall correctly, you calmly and voluntarily retired that PC to an underground life of sorcerous research. I liked the way you role-played that way better than the sort of cliche Call of Cthulhu "bug out and try to kill all your friends" portrayal of SAN loss.

And now it's time to roll for wandering monsters, to see if you run into any trouble on your way home with the treasure.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:02 am

OOC: Uh oh. Apparently for decades I have been doing wandering monsters all wrong: I check once an hour, but by-the-book it's supposed to be once a turn?!? AD&D I think it was every 3 turns, but I can't find any edition of the rules where it's supposed to be every 6 turns, and the only thing I can come up with is, "that's how our gaming group played when we were kids."

Have any of you ever felt, in any of my campaigns, that the encounters are too sparse, you wish there were more monsters? The good news for you guys is, if we start playing by-the-rules, more encounters equals more XP! Bad news, it also means more creatures lunging out of the shadows trying to eat you. More bad news, wandering monsters have lower odds of treasure than lair encounters.

I think we can explain away my blunder pretty easily in game, by saying the first level of the dungeon is the "practice" level, and the wandering monster frequency will increase as you delve deeper. Don't worry: I'm not going to suddenly slam you with 6x the encounters, without an in-game reason. That would throw off the balance of my finely-tuned megadungeon!

As a DM, I enjoy wandering encounters, because they are a surprise to me too!
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:32 am

AMBUSH!!!

Everything is going to plan, and our heroes are lulled into a false sense of security, until they emerge from the corkscrew tunnel into the large natural cavern in the northeast corner (area 6).

Willie is holding his lantern high (perhaps to take a gander at an interesting rock formation, or a funny-looking bug) when suddenly, something massive swoops down out of the shadows above. Willie hears a hideous and all-too-familiar bleating! The Spidergoat swings down on its webbing and catches Willie totally off guard!

The Spidergoat lowers its horns and attempts to butt Willie in the mouth (threatening to knock out what's left of his teeth). But this time, Willie is saved by his spangenhelm! Like an upstart young ram asserting social dominance, Willie lowers his head and stands his ground. Skull meets skull with a loud clang, and to his surprise, Willie finds himself still standing, and unharmed. He even manages to hang on to his lantern!

Taking advantage of the element of surprise, the Spidergoat swings on its webbing, out over the chasm and into the shadows. It makes an angry hissing sound like no ordinary goat (as if to curse its failed head-butt attack). It is currently somewhere to your north, beyond lantern light, but certainly not out of ear-shot.

Our heroes quickly regain their wits. What will you do?
No wandering monsters are encountered on the way back to area 21 to collect the treasure.

On the way from area 21 back to the surface? 1d6=6, an encounter occurs.

Surprise? 1d6=6, surprise!

Spidergoat targets Willie and chooses to make a single, swooping attack at its full attack bonus, rather than attack as multiple 1HD creatures. Kind of like the Chainmail Fantasy Combat Table.

1d20+2 = 4, miss

Post by kipper » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:22 pm

"Quickly, through the door!" Dame Simonetta orders. She draws her weapons and stands guard, peering into the darkness for any signs of motion.
If everyone would rather try to stand and fight that's fine by me, but in-character the Dame would try to get everyone out of danger.

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”