The Fifth Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by mushgnome » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:47 pm

Re: The Fifth Adventure

The mushrooms remind Dougal of something, but he can't quite put his finger on it.
Dougal needs to roll equal to or less than his current MYTH of 2. He fails with a roll of 3.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:50 pm

A consensus is brewing to head southwest in search of the cave fennec lair.

But the whole conversation is rendered moot as the fennecs have become the hunters, and the party their prey!

There are 6 of them (living; not skeletal). Their huge ears are flared and twitching at high alert, like they can hear something the Hobbets can't. They charge around the corner (from area 18) in full attack mode!

Luckily for our Heroes, who were just at that exact moment planning their next move and thinking about fennecs, the ambush fails and they are not surprised. But the blind cave-foxen have sprung their attack; their little fennec paws have already left the ground. There is no time to shoot a missile attack; prepare for melee!
Stealth roll for the cave fennec 1d6 = 2, fail

No chance of the party surprising the fennec.

Party loses initiative, 5-2.

There is no surprise, but the encounter takes place at less than 30' and the party loses initiative. The fennec have declared their intention, to close the distance and bite you to pieces.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:18 pm

"Look out!" Kiplyn draws his dagger and tries to get his back near a wall ready to do whatever is needed.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by coffee » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:31 pm

Wilbur defends himself as well as he can, trying if possible to keep the fennecs from getting to the more lightly armored members of the party.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by kipper » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:15 pm

Dame Simonetta stands fast, her sword and main-gauche out to skewer the fennecs as they approach.

Post by acodispo » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:04 pm

"Bad foxes, BAD!" shouts Willie as he lays about him with the warhammer. He joins the melee without hesitation, fighting fiercely.
In terms of positioning, I assume we are kind of in the entrance space of area 30 (where it widens up after the narrow passage from 18. Is there enough space for the party to fight two-abreast around the edges of the cave, without getting too close to the mushrooms/chest? The idea being to lure the fennecs into the room so that they may stumble into the mushroom trap (whatever it is), while staying safe-ish ourselves (though if the mushroom trap is a spoor cloud or something like that we'd be in trouble).

If there is space, Willie is considering shouting this as a suggestion & beginning a fighting retreat himself.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:55 pm

Dougal draws short sword and main gauche, much happier with this familiar feel than the crowbar/main gauche combo.

"Stick together. Don't let them split any of us from the rest!" he calls out in warning.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:01 am

OOC: I had to pop out of town for a couple nights, I will try to have the next update up by Saturday at the latest.

Any thoughts on Willie's plan? There is definitely enough room to make it work, spatially; the cave is big enough. The question mark would be, what kind of abilities or powers do the mushrooms possess? (I know the answer of course, but I'm not saying.)

Post by kipper » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:22 pm

If it's possible to somehow lure the fennecs near the mushrooms' treasure without getting close ourselves I think we should go for it!

Post by mushgnome » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:23 pm

OOC: So let me float this idea. The fennec are small enough I can imagine that, if you kill one, with the momentum of your attack, you could fling the carcass in a specific direction. If an opportunity presented to launch a fennec at the mushrooms and/or treasure chest, would you make that attempt?

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”