The Fifth Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by kipper » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:53 pm

Re: The Fifth Adventure

Dame Simonetta continues swinging away at the animated bones.

Post by ehiker133 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:42 pm

Dougal tries to pry apart one or two more skeletons with his crowbar...
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:50 pm

Fennec Skeleton Battle Rounds 2-3

One of the remaining fennec skeletons takes a small chunk out of Dougal, but the rest of their attacks are ineffective.

Dougal lashes out in pain with his crowbar and smashes two of the skeletons to bits!

Willie still can't seem to find his rhythm, but Dame Simonetta and Wilbur confidently destroy two more skeletons.

Kiplyn lands a glancing blow with his dagger, chipping off a few rib-bones, but the damage is not enough to finish off the last skeleton.

Sensing the tide has turned in their favor, the party attempts to end the fight.

The last fennec standing nips at Wilbur, causing a minor injury, but leaving itself exposed to a flurry of blows from Dougal, Kiplyn, and Willie, any of which would have been more than enough to finish off the undead.

Willie's mighty blow (with Chegs' Warhammer) is particularly satisfying after the previous round's swing-and-miss, and when the dust settles, all that is left of the skeleton is a pile of bone shards.

The party has prevailed against the undead menace! But it comes at a price: Willie (4/10hp), Dougal (6/8) and Wilbur (5/12) are injured.

What next, Hobbet Heroes? Don't forget you can spend a rest turn and 1 day's rations, to regain 1 lost hit point.
Skeleton attack rolls:
13, 11, 2, 1, 4
1 hit vs Dougal for 2hp dropping him to 6/8hp

Party attack rolls:
Dame Simonetta: 8 miss, 17 hit for 3hp KILL
Dougal: 18 hit for 3hp KILL, 19 hit for 3hp KILL
Kiplyn: 6 miss, 13 hit for 1hp
Wilbur: 10 miss, 17 hit for 6hp KILL
Willie: 4 miss

Only 1 skeleton is left, and it was damaged by Kiplyn, so let's go another round and see if we can finish this off:

Skeleton 17 vs. Wilbur hit for 1hp dropping him to 5/12hp

Party attack rolls:
Dame Simonetta: 4 miss, 9 miss
Dougal: 10 miss, 14 hit for 5hp KILL
Kiplyn: 1 miss, 17 hit for 3hp KILL
Wilbur: 6 miss, 11 miss
Willie: 18 hit for 7hp! KILL
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by acodispo » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:45 pm

"Take THAT, you bony little -- thing!!" says Willie, scornfully. He blows the dust off Chegs' hammer and returns it to his belt.

Assuming that the party is ready for a rest turn... Willie leans against a wall and checks the wound in his leg, washing it with a bit of water from his waterskin. As he tends to this he absently draws an apple from his pack and munches on it. And as he munches he keeps an eye on the south-west passage, worried there might be more of the cave fennecs -- dead or alive.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by kipper » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:56 am

With two of our fighters getting low on HP, I think we should head back to collect our loot and then up to the surface. Although the SE exit of the bone room most likely connects to the pit room, I think it would be safer to head back the way we've already mapped. However, I'd be OK with taking the SE exit if everyone wants to explore a little bit more.

Post by mgtremaine » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:48 am

"I can't image anything would live near these nasty little things, maybe we just a peek down this tunnel." Kiplyn would sneak down as quietly as possible just to have a looksy.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:54 am

There is no SE exit, sorry; that's just an odd-shaped alcove. The only two exits are back the way you came, or the narrow tunnel to the SW (which Kiplyn is about to have a look-see).

A friendly reminder that Dame Simonetta is holding 2 unidentified potions.

Willie is still just shy of levelling up and getting two attacks/round.

Dougal has enough xp to level up.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:38 pm

Turn 16 (rest turn)

While WIllie is munching on the last apple, Kiplyn sneaks to the southwest, being careful not to make any noise disturbing the bones. He peers into the crawl-tunnel but unfortunately, it curves out of sight after 10', and he can't see where it leads. He listens careful but hears nothing at all.
Stealth check 1d6=5 success
Listen check 1d6=?? (roll in secret)

Post by acodispo » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:39 pm

"Well my friends, what do you think?" asks Willie as he munches. "I think I could push on a bit!"
mushgnome wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:54 am
Willie is agonizingly just shy of levelling up and getting two attacks/round.
If my quick reckoning is good, then we need to find an additional 650xp worth of treasure or slay-able monsters. If we do that before we return to the surface, Willie will level. :)

So seven more critters, or some treasure worth 650gp. (That's assuming we're using the BTB 100xp per hit die, which I think we are.)
mushgnome wrote:A friendly reminder that Dame Simonetta is holding 2 unidentified potions.
There is no established method of in-dungeon potion identification, correct?

I suppose we can experiment by sipping? :cry:
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:42 pm

In a world without magic users, I will definitely allow sip-identification of potions.

Magic items can also be identified with a successful MYTHOS check.

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”