The Fourth Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by coffee » Fri May 07, 2021 1:21 pm

Re: The Fourth Adventure

mushgnome wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 6:37 pm
Experience Rewards

Rookie Wilbur (adjusted for his high prime requisite) has 2,090xp which is enough to reach 2nd level! He gets 2+1HD plus an additional +2 Constitution bonus. He rerolls all dice (as is our customary house rule) for a new total of 3+6+1+2=12hp, positioning him as the new party 'tank.'

Woo-hoo!

Boy, when I got here, things went downhill fast. But they're going uphill just as fast!
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Fri May 07, 2021 2:11 pm

I say we get anyone armoured up who is a fighter and needs armour. Same with any other gear. Let's make sure we have plenty of what we need - oil lamps and oil over torches, especially if you guys want to go the light route. Everyone should have an oil lamp and six vials of oil. We travel as far as half the oil in the party and then it's time to start thinking about heading back.

Everyone should get 7 days of rations, as well.

Is there any way to get any portable healing? Does Freddie have anything we could use?
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri May 07, 2021 4:05 pm

ehiker133 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:11 pm
I say we get anyone armoured up who is a fighter and needs armour. Same with any other gear. Let's make sure we have plenty of what we need - oil lamps and oil over torches, especially if you guys want to go the light route. Everyone should have an oil lamp and six vials of oil. We travel as far as half the oil in the party and then it's time to start thinking about heading back.

Is there any way to get any portable healing? Does Freddie have anything we could use?
Frederick is a Fighter, not a Druid, and hasn't shown any indication he can help you in that department.

There might be a parallel universe where you rolled healing potions instead of gems, in the ghouls' treasure hoard. Keeping in mind I do not award xp for magic items in my campaigns: Would you like a re-roll, or are you happy with what you got? ;P
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Fri May 07, 2021 5:33 pm

Kipyln goes through his backpack and decides he needs a few things. He tops off his Torches and Stakes ad rations (should be 6 each + 7 days rations), he adds 3 flasks of Oil/Greek Fire. "There sure are creepy things down there that need a good burning.". He also packs up 6 scones for emergencies. He gives some thought to a new sword but shrugs and sticks with his Dagger.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Fri May 07, 2021 5:34 pm

Lol at my Hp increase , sorefoot indeed
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Fri May 07, 2021 6:00 pm

Eh... we're hobbits. Probably gems.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by coffee » Sat May 08, 2021 6:20 pm

ehiker133 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:11 pm

I agree about the lamps and the oil, but we should turn back sooner than halfway. Oil can also be used as a weapon, which would deplete stocks. Also, there may be something that blocks our path and we'd have to detour around it, taking more time. I think we should turn back after 1/3 of the oil is gone.

Post by kipper » Sun May 09, 2021 1:56 pm

Dame S will restock on oil and rations to bring her to 6 flasks of oil and 7 days rations.

If Holy Water is available, she'll stock up on 4 vials of that too.

Post by mushgnome » Sun May 09, 2021 5:13 pm

Great question, @kipper, about the holy water. I would say, yes. Given the party's considerable financial resources, all normal weapons, armor and equipment (including holy water) are now available for purchase. The one exception might be "Greek fire." I'm not sure I want that for this campaign, flavor-wise.

I honestly go back and forth, on whether or not the "resource management" part of D&D is fun. (Keeping strict track of torches, oil, rations, encumbrance, etc.) In the past I have often just "handwaved" all that stuff, and it was fine. It didn't "break" the game, and I think everybody had a fun time.

6 flasks of oil = 24 hours of light. Your previous Adventures have only lasted a few hours, so running out of light has been a non-issue so far. But I think eventually, the party might stay overnight in the dungeon (especially if you are curious to explore the Underdark) so that is why I've been getting in the habit of tracking resources.

Last call for equipment purchases! Let me know if you need anything else for your inventories. I will be posting the Fifth Adventure shortly.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by coffee » Mon May 10, 2021 1:10 pm

Wilbur will purchase 2 weeks rations and another 6 flasks of oil (assuming he used any of the 3 he already had). Aside from that, he's okay.

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”