The Fourth Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by mushgnome » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:46 am

Re: The Fourth Adventure

A traveler comes into view! A mail-clad Fighting-Hobbet by the looks of 'im, who stands more than three feet tall!

Wilbur the Quite Tall, your adventure begins... wait for it... wait for it... NOW!
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by coffee » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:42 pm

"Hallo!" Wilbur says with a wave.

"Did I hear someone mention trouble?"
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by acodispo » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:55 pm

"Hello!" responds Willie brightly, waving a mittened hand.

"Oh, we're just planning to use this unsteerable slab of wood to slide down a steep hill covered in trees, rocks, and crevices! The toboggan is nice and smooth on the bottom; we should be moving really fast!

"So, nothing dangerous -- at least not compared to the other stuff we get up to around here."

Then, after a moment's reflection:

"Wow, you're really ... tall! I'm Willie, have we met?"
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:27 am

One of the Hobbets is older than the rest. He steps forward and shakes Wilbur's hand. "Hello! I'm Frederick the Eighth, descended from Original Frederick who settled here in Hornpipe Hill. Welcome! I run the House of Pancakes just over there. Want to come for a quick toboggan ride with us before we eat? Okay, good! Let's go. So many names to keep track of; so many new friends. We already had Dougal and Douglas, Fiona and Fifi, now Wilbur and Willie, next thing you know, we'll have Tooks and Tucks and Tonks coming out our ears. What brings you here to Hornpipe? And, my favorite icebreaker question I ask everyone: What's your favorite kind of breakfast cakes?"

As Frederick chats with Wilbur he leads the party south, pulling the sled behind him. It's a glorious, sunny day, and the fresh powder crunches underfoot. A quarter-mile from the windmill, the Hobbets arrive at their destination. There is a gap in the trees that gives way to a steep, rocky drop-off. Our tobogganeers catch a nice view of the snow-covered hills to the south. There is only one way down through the field of jumbled granite boulders: a vertigo-inducing, icy chute, steep as a ski jump. At the bottom of the hill, cartoonishly far below our heroes, is a wide clearing deep with virgin powder snow.

"This my absolute favorite toboggan spot: the old abandoned Goose Chute Sluice. Don't worry: it's totally safe. I've done this a thousand times, and only fallen off, oh, a couple hundred or so. If my old ass can do it, so can you. Dame Simonetta if you would like to watch from up here, I brought a blanket so you don't have to sit in the snow. And here is a pickynick basket with some scones, coffee, and schnapps. Help yourself. The rest of you: Do you want to watch me take the first run, or are you brave enough to ride with me?"

Who's sledding, and who's spectating?
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by kipper » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:58 pm

"I really cannot see the appeal." Dame Simonetta says as she accepts the blanket and coffee.

Post by mgtremaine » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:06 pm

Kiplyn would cram an entire scone in his mouth, then with crumbs dropping out he'd slowly say "where do I sit."
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by acodispo » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:41 pm

Willie sticks a scone in his pocket for later -- second thought: a scone in each pocket -- and walks boldly up to the toboggan.

"Come on, Dougal!" he calls over his shoulder. "You'll love this, I promise!"
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by coffee » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:22 pm

"Um, er, ah," Wilbur says, trying to sort out the questions.

"I came here to visit my cousin, Edward. I was told he lived around these parts and I wanted to see him again." He thinks for a moment. "I guess my favorite breakfast cake would be the one right in front of me, at any given time!"
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:47 am

Dougal eyes the too-bog-ahn suspiciously, "You just... you just sit on it? You don't haul nuttin' with it?"

He glances over at Dame Simonetta on the warm wool blanket, wondering if he should just try a few scones before... "Alright... nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say."

Dougal slides onto the too-bog-ahn behind Willie.

"Now what?"
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:33 pm

Frederick, Kiplyn, Willie, Wilbur, and Dougal line up in that order and aim the long toboggan down the Goose Chute Sluice.

"Adventure Club!!! screams Frederick at the top of his lungs! "Mush Mush Mush!!!"

Do any other Hobbets have a tobogganing battle cry?
(Dame Simonetta may also call out encouragement, if she wishes.)

The mighty Too-Bog-Ahn tests the Strength of every rider. If our Heroes can give the sled a good, strong push then it will fly straight and true down the track. The Hobbets get a successful running start, leap into the toboggan, grab on with their little mittens, and hold on for dear life. The sled accelerates past the point of no return and tips into freefall. Nothing to do now but hold on tight, keep your center of gravity low, and scream!!!
Strength checks, d20 under:
Frederick 13 pass
Kiplyn 5 pass
Willie 13 pass
Wilbur 11 pass
Dougal 4 pass

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”