The Fourth Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by mgtremaine » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:31 pm

Re: The Fourth Adventure

Kiplyn fights on.... "Hey now dead things should not be moving around.. Get down, stay down!"
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by acodispo » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:42 pm

Willie shan't lose another comrade to these diseased creatures!

"Nooo you DON'T!" he growls, and throws himself in between the ghoul & Wilbur's body, swinging his hammer with the intent to crush the foul abomination to the ground!

Fight on!
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by kipper » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:16 pm

Dame Simonetta presses the attack!

Post by mushgnome » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:00 pm

Ghoul Battle Round 3

Kiplyn and Willie attack with a vengeance and are able to finish off the second ghoul. The battle is over!

Wilbur needs a rest turn to recover from the paralysis. Wilbur is at 3 of 9 hp and Kiplyn is at 2 of 4 hp.

This seems a good time to remind you of our house rule: Resting 1 turn and eating 1 day's rations restores 1 hit point. This ability may be used only once per injury. You must specify the food that you eat, and then it's all gone for the rest of the Adventure.

What do you do with the two ghoul bodies?
Dame Simonetta 9 miss
Kiplyn 17 hit 3hp
Willie 13 hit 5hp
Ghoul 2 destroyed!
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by kipper » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:56 pm

Dame Simonetta believes the hobbets deserve a proper burial (or at least a cremation), but our options are rather limited at the moment. However, after checking on Wilbur to make sure he's not dead or dying, the next thing she does is cautiously re-enter the ghoul's cave and take a proper look around.
Since we don't have some sort of portable healing, it seems we'll be returning to the surface after every encounter or two.

Post by acodispo » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:20 pm

"Wilbur, Kip, why don't you have a rest? We'll take care of these things!"

While Dame S is checking the ghouls' cave, Willie checks the bodies for valuables. If he can determine visually that they're unlikely to have a purse or pocket, he'll stop there. If he's unsure, he'll poke at them with an iron spike.

Once that's done, and assuming there are no objections, he douses the bodies thoroughly with one of his oil flasks (two if necessary). Once the party is ready to leave, he'll light the ghouls.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:29 pm

Kiplyn takes a last look at the dead ghouls and makes a sour face. "Now that you mention it I do feel a little wobbly." He sits down well away from the bodies and drinks a bit of water and eats from his rations, while wishing he had brought some scones.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:43 pm

kipper wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:56 pm
Since we don't have some sort of portable healing, it seems we'll be returning to the surface after every encounter or two.
Please let me know if I'm being too stingy in this department. Absence of the cleric and MU classes was my biggest concern as I was planning this hobbet-only campaign, and I've tried my best to make up for it with a few house rules (like druids and food-as-healing). Part of the problem is that the party keeps burning through druids like Spinal Tap drummers! :twisted:

I promise I did stock the dungeon with plenty of healing magic, and you've been this close! on more than one occasion. ;) Speaking of which, let's see what Dame Simonetta finds in the ghoul lair...

All that said, this campaign was partly inspired by the "survival horror" genre, so if you feel a sense of tension as your character's resources dwindle, then I'm doing my job. Even if I opened up the campaign to all races and classes, you would have the same problem, that 1st level clerics can't cast cure light wounds yet. (Though of course, they might have been able to turn the ghouls.)
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:03 pm

Rest Turn 10

Wilbur slowly regains his senses. He was conscious and aware the whole time he was paralyzed; he just couldn't move a muscle! He's been through quite the ordeal. How is he holding up?

The ghoul lair is as foul and cluttered as the beetle lair was spotless. Amidst the refuse on the floor, the Hobbets find the following treasure:

4,000 silver pieces
3 gems (800gp jet, 1,200gp opal, 6,000gp star ruby)

No additional treasure is found on the ghouls. Anything they once valued in life, they had cast aside.

Willie figures he will need 2 flasks of oil to do the honors. (I will go ahead and deduct it from his inventory.)

Any other actions, conversation, or agenda for the Rest Turn?

Post by ehiker133 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:53 pm

Dougal chides himself quietly for seemingly not contributing to the battle at all.

"This is a nice haul!" he says, finally, looking at their pile of coins and gem stones. "Do we take it back for safe keeping? Or push on? Wilbur looks to be the worse for wear."
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”