The Fourth Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by kipper » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:58 pm

Re: The Fourth Adventure

Dame Simonetta doesn't try to stop Dougal, but she's got the letter addressed to Fredrick and won't let it be read by anyone besides him, so someone would have to filch it from her pocket to do so. She does, however, read the other letter aloud to everyone.

She's curious about the numerous spelling mistakes in Ursa's letter. There are a number of possibilities: Ursa is either less meticulous and/or less educated than Simonetta thinks; Or Ursa was under the mental influence of something when she wrote the letter; ... or perhaps the low light is simply playing tricks with Dame Simonetta's eyes, the writing is difficult to make out.

"Well, I think we should do what that letter says, gather up Ursa's things return back to Frederick."

Post by mushgnome » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:54 pm

OOC: If the party is thinking "quick trip to the surface, check in with Frederick, then back to the dungeon for more Adventure" then I can leave this Fourth Adventure thread open, we'll keep the dial tuned right here. I'm sure you'd all like to start earning some XP and treasure. ;)

Any objections to Dame Simonetta's plan? Anything else you would like to examine or explore down here before heading back to the surface?
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by acodispo » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:00 pm

"Yes, let's bring Ursa's things back, check in with Frederick, and see if there's any change for Ursa. But be careful! I think the Spider-Goat is watching us. I wonder where it's hiding!"

As they head back, Willie looks to the left to see if he can spot the area where the provision chest is located, which would be out of the range of torch light but might be visible to him now.

Also he'll have one of the boiled eggs because he feels it will help him shake off this feeling of departing innocence that's suddenly come over him.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:59 pm

Wilbur and Dougal look around anxiously, but don't see any sign of spidergoats. They're sure Willie is just being paranoid with that kind of talk.

Dame Simonetta is the most cultured Hobbet of the group and respects the sanctity of the postal system. She tucks the letter to Frederick away for safe keeping before anyone else can get their grubby fingers on it.

Willie eats the Druid's Egg and feels a surge of mystical energy. A strange sensation washes over him, as though... (Just kidding, it's an ordinary, unremarkable hard-boiled egg.) Willie looks across to the NE end of the cavern and sees a subtle gap between the giant puffballs at the location of the provision chest. It's well-hidden from casual obeservers, but having been there before, he knows where to look. Does Willie have any business with the chest, or just checking?

Kiplyn finds the ham sandwich to be delicious. The mustard packs a good punch. Nice!

Last call before we conclude Adventure 4A and pop back up to the surface.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:35 pm

Dougal packs Ursa's things back up, almost with exaggerated effort, to bring back to Frederick for safe keeping.

Once that is done, he hefts her pack in one hand and carries his short sword in the other and indicates he is ready to go back to the surface.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:56 pm

Kiplyn sighs a bit "Well a long walk in the dark and light snack, it could have been worse, let's head back."
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:19 pm

The return trip is uneventful. Our Heroes carry all of Ursa's equipment back to the surface world. Frederick and Ursa are sitting in rocking chairs by the fire. Ursa is swaddled in a quilt. Her eyes are closed and she looks stiff as a board. Her hands and feet are neatly bandaged. The stack of syrup-sticky empty plates on the table suggests that Frederick has been stress eating. He stares into the fire and plays a mournful variation of "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" on his harmonica.

The successful return of the adventuring party breaks Frederick from his trance. He leaps anxiously from his chair and exclaims, "Back so soon! What did you find?!? I think Ursa is thawing out. Her skin is warm to the touch. Feel for yourself!" He puts his hand on her forehead as though checking for fever.

Post by acodispo » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:51 pm

"Well, we found her camp," explains Willie, and he tells Frederick of what they found, including the contents of their letter (if the rest of the party is okay with revealing that information).

"Mr. Frederick, sir, I wonder if you'd be willing to read your letter and let us know if there's anything in there would help us find out what exactly happened to Ursa. We're going straight back for further explorations! Also: do you think Ursa was a very good speller? Dame S. says she's made some mistakes in this letter and that seems peculiar."
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by kipper » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:15 pm

Dame Simonetta hands the letter over to Frederick, and awaits his reply. While doing so, she re-reads the letter to the Adventure Club, to see if the spelling mistakes she thought she saw are still present.

Post by mushgnome » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:12 pm

Frederick thanks Dame Simonetta for the letter. He scans the first few lines and comments, "Yeah, this is Ursa's writing, alright. She was always a terrible student, cutting class to play with the animals in the woods." As he continues to read the letter silently to himself, his brow furrows, and then his face turns red with anger. "Damn reckless fool! Read for yourself." He hands over the letter:

My Deer Sweet Freddy Pie,

You are the best friend ever and our Adventures together are lejend. But this old gal got one more in her! You know my dream when I was yunnger, to join Free Solo Club? You said it was imposible but now I have Discovered away! I didnt tell you becuse I knew you would try and tock me out of it. But don't worry I can take care of my self. Don't try to follow, you are much too big!

See you for New Years but if some thing bad happen and I dont make it back a live, feed my body to the mush rooms like we tocked about and give my stuff to the next gen Adventure Club. I like them they got Moxee!!

For Ever Cuddles,
Ursa Bear

Frederick shakes his head. "My great-grandfather Frederick V banned Free Solo Club. It's incredibly dangerous and only a handful of Heroes have ever achieved it. Too many young Hobbets lost their lives trying to copycat, so it's been banned for generations. To join Free Solo Club, you have to explore the dungeon without any weapons, armor, or equipment. You have to go deeper than the first level and return to the surface bearing either a valuable treasure, or a trophy from killing a tough monster. Some Druids take it even farther and dungeoneer in the nude; they call it 'Earthclad.' I don't know why I am even telling you this. I don't want you to get any funny ideas about imitating her stupidity! I love Ursa like a sister, but her disrespect for The Rules drives me crazy!!"

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”