The Third Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:44 am

Re: The Third Adventure

Dougal volunteers to go down first, saying, "I can head down first. In fact, I can take the rope all the way across the chasm (via the bottom and up the other side, if you take my meaning...)
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:44 am

Turn 13

Our heroes scramble down the rocky slope without incident. Between the rope and the climbing skill of the burglars, there is never any real danger. Still, it's good practice for more significant climbs in the party's future.

The lower half of the cavern is pleasant enough, with a dry floor and high ceiling. There's not much life, just some lichens and a few small, harmless creepy-crawlies. Carc settles back down on his master's shoulder, looking happy to have stretched his wings.

There are two exit tunnels, to the west and northeast. The western tunnel is about 5' around, single-file but not particularly claustrophobic. The northeastern tunnel is 10' around and strikes the Hobbets as looking particularly clean; no litter or cobwebs to be found as in other parts of the dungeon.

Full size image: https://photos.app.goo.gl/shG7XkN1YKnTVkez9
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by kipper » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:04 pm

"It looks like something uses that northeastern tunnel," Dame Simonetta comments, "We'd better go the other way, I don't particularily want to find out what it is."

Post by mgtremaine » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:20 pm

Kiplyn would try to quietly move towards the NorthEastern tunnel as far as the opening and listen.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:26 pm

Kiplyn moves quietly to the northeast and has a good listen. He hears a strange sound in the distance. It's a rhythmic, cyclical sound, alternating blowing and sucking of of air with a wet, squelching undertone. Kiplyn isn't sure whether it's animal, vegetable, or mineral. It simultaneously reminds him of a slumbering beast with pneumonia in its lungs, or the pulsing of waves in a sea-cave, or the bellows of a moldy old pipe organ. One thing is for sure: Kiplyn doesn't like the sound! It seems weirdly out-of-place for the first dungeon level, and makes the hairs on his arms stand up.

As Kiplyn turns back to report this to the party, a single silver coin worms its way out of his pocket and clatters to the floor. The sound echoes through the cavern!
Kiplyn is 1st level so his Thief skills are successful on a roll of 4-6. He rolls 2, 4 failing his Move Quietly check but succeeding on Listen.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by acodispo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:19 pm

Did Kiplyn have time to report that there was something dangerous down there? Is the mysterious sound getting closer? If the latter is true, Willie suggests we climb back up so we have the high ground. If it's not getting closer, he's going to keep an eye SW, worried something may have heard the coin drop.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:25 pm

Kiplyn is only about 30' away from the rest of the party, so I'd rule he can easily communicate by whispers or hand signals.

"Is the sound getting closer?" would require a second Listen check. ;)

Post by mgtremaine » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:21 pm

Kiplyn would move back towards the ground, a little red faced and mumble something about "Grandpa always said don't take your purse to the party it just causes trouble.". After a deep breath he'd relay what he heard down the tunnel.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:18 pm

A denizen of the dungeon investigates! Willie is keeping watch on the SW tunnel and is the first to see the fox-like creature, pale as a ghost, with dead eyes and enormous ears. The cave fennec sniffs the air, swivels its ears, bares its teeth and growls at the intruders!

What next, Heroes?

Wandering monster check 1d6 = 6

No chance of surprise since Willie is specifically keeping watch to the SW.

Reaction roll 2d6 = 4

The encounter takes place at a range of 30'. Please let me know your actions, and then I will roll initiative!

Let me know if you have bright ideas for Noh's character, otherwise I will NPC him.

Post by mgtremaine » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:27 pm

Kiplyn has dagger and shield at the ready. Any of these underworld creatures get near and they will be stabbed.

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”