The Third Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by kipper » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:25 pm

Re: The Third Adventure

Dame Simonetta leads the way northeast.

Post by mgtremaine » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:58 pm

Let's note that the smaller passage on the eastern side should expose a chamber in that south eastern area and probably hook backup into the area before this chamber. Assuming we have a chance (and are not eating by a Grue) we should map that area out just so know what's there.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:28 pm

We just need to avoid total darkness. Just make sure you light the lantern before you go N. If you don't have a sword with a bluish glow, a rusty dagger might help as well.
[quote="mgtremaine"]Let's note that the smaller passage on the eastern side should expose a chamber in that south eastern area and probably hook backup into the area before this chamber. Assuming we have a chance (and are not eating by a Grue) we should map that area out just so know what's there./quote]
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:49 am

OOC: Hope this helps, a detailed map of your immediate surrroundings. I will be posting an update shortly with an update of your Northeastern explorations. This next area will be a personal favorite of mine, heh heh.

Does anyone ever click on these full size image links? Are they useful for me to keep doing? https://photos.app.goo.gl/1uKdfSbcNkCEK63i8
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:17 am

Dame Simonetta leads the way northeast into a rough stone tunnel. She walks 10' and sees that the tunnel curves to the northwest.

Suddenly a group of 4 beetles scurry into view from around the bend. They are big, standing eye-to-eye with the Hobbets. Their carapace is tan in color like a toasted sesame bun. As soon as they step into the lamplight, they freeze in their tracks for a moment, and then shift into reverse, attempting to backstep into the darkness, without taking their attention off the party. Meanwhile, they begin to make a phlegmy gargling sound, as though preparing to hawk up a big loogey. Their antennae quiver threateningly!
Encounter!

No surprise, party 3 monsters 4.

Initiative tied 1-1. If we were rolling individual instead of group initiative, Willie would get +1 for his 15 Dex, and I still may decide to award that, depending on his declared action.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by kipper » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:19 pm

"Quick, back around the bend!" Dame Simonetta shouts, putting words into action and she hastily retreats back to where the beetles cannot see her.
I'm using a desktop computer and the images themselves in the thread are already full-size, so I don't use the additional links

Post by acodispo » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:25 pm

Willie pulls back around the corner along with Dame S!
Same here; the images are already big on my screen.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:46 pm

Beetle Battle Round 2

It is a tense standoff situation. The Hobbets can hear the beetles just around the bend, making nasty phlegmy sounds in their throats. And the beetles presumably can sense the party. What next?

@ = party
B = beetles
yellow = lamplight

OOC: The images I post here are scaled for my 1920x1080 computer monitor. The full-level maps on Google Image are 2455x3156 resolution, so you can follow those links if you want to zoom in and see more detail. I will get in the habit of posting more of these area-detail maps, as my GIMP skills improve. Do any of us use the site on mobile devices? Do we have bandwidth concerns, or shall I feel free to spam you with maps?

Post by ehiker133 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:14 pm

Dougal motions for everyone to remain quiet, then he cautiously moves left to the next opening going north and tries to determine if he can hear the sounds of the beetles coming from this direction, as well.
I use a laptop, not a mobile device. Well, my laptop is mobile...

I see the whole map easily.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:56 pm

While the others decide what to do, Dougal scoots west to the edge of lamplight. He does not hear any beetle noises from the northern passage.
Listen check 1d6=5
Dougal successfully hears the absence of beetle sounds.

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”