The Third Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by mushgnome » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:06 pm

Re: The Third Adventure

Back to the surface for some R&R is fine with me. There is of course the risk of wandering monsters. Any other stops you want to make along the way?

For continuity's sake, could someone please write a couple of sentences, your specific plan to get back to the surface (even if it's as simple as "we retrace our steps and try not to get killed"). I'm pretty sure I can guess your intentions, but just for the sake of a hypothetical reader following along with our story.

We could use some fresh blood, so I'm reaching out to a couple of potential new players. If you know anyone who would be a good fit, shoot me a PM. I want to keep Hobbet Heroes going strong into 2021 and beyond!

Y'all have reached a tipping point, where you've explored about half of the first dungeon level. Even though you didn't find a big treasure haul this time around, you should feel proud of your progress. Not only have you found the entrances to dungeon levels 2 and 3, but you've also found the locations of the rat, fennec, beetle, and mystery thing lairs. And that knowledge is as valuable as treasure. (Some of you have even dipped your toes into another kind of knowledge.) I tried to design this 1st level of the dungeon with some "replayability" that you could come back to it as higher-level characters. For example an enterprising high-level Druid could become Lord of the Rats if he wanted to.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:30 pm

Kiplyn looks around for a few moments then speaks softly. "I think it's time to go back, we look pretty beat up and we all need a bath or three. Let's carefully follow our path back and get to the rope and back to the Cavern where Miss Ursa is. What do you think, who's hungry?"
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by acodispo » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:25 pm

Willie is in agreement.

"I'm hungry! Definitely. Let's just be careful when we get back to the room with -- with the pit. Walk around the edge of the room. Don't go near it. Don't listen to it."

He shivers slightly.
Yes, while we haven't retrieved any treasure, the beetle rugs look like a nice find which we can come back for when in better health / better prepared.

I think "retrace our steps at a medium pace, avoiding all side passages, and specifically giving the Mystery Pit a wide berth" would be a reasonable description of our retreat.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:26 am

OOC: Family event this weekend. I'll post the next update hopefully tomorrow. :)

By the way, I saw one of the most "Carcosian" half-hours of TV I've ever seen in my life. Highly recommended! It's a show on Adult Swim called Primal by Gennedy Tartakovsky, and the specific episode that knocked my socks off is called Coven of the Damned. It really hit the sweet spot of where I was trying to go with my Chainmail Carcosa campaign way back when.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:30 am

Turn 22, 23, 24

Our Hobbet Heroes begin their long trek back to the surface.

As they pass by the mysterious well, those who understand the language of Innsmouth can hear the creature calling out to them: "You came back for me! Thank you, thank you. Did you bring water??" They pay the voice no mind and continue on their way.

They pass through the area where they encountered the Fennec and reach the gravelly uphill slope. Reversing the downward procedure, Dougal climbs to the top and fixes Willie's rope so the non-burglehobbets can climb safely.

As the Hobbets are halfway up the rope, they are ambushed! Our heroes are completely flabbergasted as arms emerge from the solid stone and grab at their feet! And not normal Hobbet arms, with fingers, thumbs, and hands, but weird club-like appendages. Faces, bodies, and legs swim into view: The weird creatures move through stone like water. Their heads are like shrimp, their joints bend the wrong way, and they are just generally unpleasant to look at. There are 4 of them, and they are going to try and knock our Heroes off the rope!

You didn't think it would be that easy, did you? Please express your surprise and state your intentions for the first full round of combat, if you survive the initial ambush!
Wandering Monster check = 6

Roll on my encounter table for Dungeon Level One, 10

Number appearing 2d4=4

Where does the encounter take place? d100 = roughly 45% of the way home. I know just the place...

4-in-6 surprise chance, 1d6 = 4, surprise!

Post by mgtremaine » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:50 pm

Kiplyn yelp's in surprise. "Ahhh, the ground, the ground, watch out.". He would try find a stable place to stand (even if that means retreating down the hill) and draw his dagger and stab the hands that come for him.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by kipper » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:11 pm

Dame Simonetta is struck speechless by the sudden appearance of the weird rock-creatures!

If any one of us is knocked loose from the rope before Dame Simonetta can recover her wits, she will retreat back down the rope to the bottom.

However, if we all manage to retain our position, she will instead scramble quickly for the top instead.

Post by acodispo » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:22 pm

"Yipes!" shrieks Wille, the only thing he can think to say under the circumstances.

If Dougal climbed the rope to the top, perhaps Willie is climbing last, ready to help any of the less able climbers as they make their way up. If so, he braces to try & catch any of his comrades who get knocked off the rope, by quickly looping the rope around himself, and planting his feet firmly against the climbing surface!
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:25 pm

acodispo wrote:If Dougal climbed the rope to the top, perhaps Willie is climbing last, ready to help any of the less able climbers as they make their way up.
I'll allow it. It makes sense that Willie would bring up the rear, coiling his rope as he goes. If someone falls past him, he can attempt a thief skill check to catch them.

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:13 pm

Being the only one not on the ropes, Dougal flings a dense oval stone at one of the shrimp monsters.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”