Moderator: mushgnome

Post by mushgnome » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:34 am

Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

Turnips.

Load 'em up!

Turnips.

What are you waiting for?

Turnips!

What's the matter? You never seen a turnip before? Help me load the cart now, unload when we get there, and I'll give you that ride to Hornpipe like you asked for. Deal?

The Hobbet turnip farmer Skip Pebbles extends his hand. "Do we have a deal? Let's shake on it."

Roll call! Who's coming on this Adventure?
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:30 am

Re: Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

Dougal, clad in black from his leather armour to his cloak, picks up a turnip and casually examines it, as if the quality of the farmer's nips has anything to do with him taking the job.

"Yeah... I'm in."

He makes as if he's going to put the turnip back into the sack he pulled it from, but as soon as the farmer turns his head it disappears under his cloak.
Last edited by ehiker133 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:29 am

Thanks Skip! barks Tet, shaking the farmer's hand rigorously in his enormous (for a Hobbet) paw. I bet some of these here nips would make a nice soup, he opines hungrily, hoisting his pack full of food into the cart.

Looking over his shoulder, he observes a distinct lack of turnip loading.

C'mon you lot! he hollers, Let's get us down to Hornpipe before the tap-room is dry! Then the oversized Hobbet huffs and puffs as he begins to fling massive arm-loads of tubers into the wagon, indifferent to the wanton bruising of vegetables...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by Ebon Hearted Soul » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:32 pm

"Sure thing Skip", says Chegs as he turns to begin loading turnips into the cart. Just before he does he drops his pack beside the cart & places his shield next to it, then takes off his crimson hooded cloak & places it upon his pack, before rolling up his sleeves and lifting up sacks of turnips into the cart. His green leather armor looks slightly worn but in good repair which is worn over a black tunic and rust-red knee breeches. Chegs has short cropped brown hair with mutton chops.
Veshengo "Vesh the scarred" Polgár Magic-User 1
S: 7 I: 17 W: 9 Cn: 13 D: 13 Ch: 4 Gold: 28 Silver: 16 Copper: 10 HP: 5

Warrec "Chegs" Chegwidden Fighting-Hobbet 1
S:14 I:10 W:9 Co:9 D:10 Ch:8 Gold:2 Copper: 45 HP:5

Post by Tonneau » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:30 pm

"Oh no, that wont do at all" says a voice from the bushes, before a misshapen hobbet stumbles out onto the road, clad with mud and leaves and holding a bright-coloured mushroom in one hand and a glass in the other.

"Not at all," he continues, "you see I have this...er allergy to turnips Oh but I do have to get in to Hornipipe - if, if only you'd been carrying ah mushrooms there would be no problem, but you see with turnips it will be utterly impossible, impossible! Oh..." he pauses suddenly to focus attention on the mushroom he is holding with the glass for several moments, "Ah no...", he says with some disappointment, dropping the mushroom on the road, "...but perhaps we can clear a small space? Turnip-free so to speak?" he finishes, casting a be-speckled gaze at the assembled hobbets.
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by acodispo » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:36 pm

One enterprising young Hobbet has begun an attempt to throw large armfuls of turnips into the cart, have a smoke of his pipe, and munch on a spare raw turnip, all at the same time! And he's nearly managing it, too. Wilibald Whitfoot (called Willie by everyone but his Mother) is a particularly robust example of Hobbet-youth (if truth be told, scarce out of his tweens), and he keeps to his several tasks with a vengeance.

"We'll be done in a twinkling here, Mr. Skip! Thanks for the ride."

He has just tossed a load of turnips on board when a sudden forgotten thought re-occurs to him. The pipe goes into one hand, the half-etten turnip into the other.

"Oh, and me Mam says: 'Don't take the shortcut, Skip Pebbles, or you'll answer to me, ya hear?' No offence meant, Mr. Skip, that's what she told me to say to you, if you understand me."

Then he's back to his labours.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:53 am

Let's say a Hobbet can haul a load of turnips equal to his strength times constitution times hit points.

Potty reluctantly loads 520 pounds of turnips into the ox-cart, thereby discovering he has 4 hit points!

Dougal loads 550 pounds and has 5hp!

Chegs manages 630 pounds before he is exhausted. This means he has 5hp!

"Good job, you three have earned a break," says the Farmer.

Tet and Willie are still going strong, effortlessly tossing the turnip sacks like feather pillows!

Tet tries his best but must catch his breath after 1,014 pounds, revealing his hit point total of 6.

"Impressive, a half ton!"

Willie puts the others to shame, neatly stacking the cart with 2,160 pounds of turnips. He has 9 hit points!!

"Bless my soul! An entire ton of turnips!

Farmer Skip passes around a jug of refreshing apple cider. Dougal, Chegs, and Willie are exhausted and must rest (though they are certainly encouraged to cheer and banter). Potty and Tet are rejuvenated and feel they could load more turnips. Will Potty and/or Tet push themselves to beat Willie's record?
Potty (str 10 con 13 hp 4) = 520. Save vs paralysis = 16 (pass)
Dougal (str 11 con 10 hp 5) = 550. Save = 12 (fail)
Chegs (str 14 con 9 hp 5) = 630. Save = 9 (fail)
Tet (str 13 con 13 hp 6) = 1014. Save = 14 (pass)
Willie (str 15 con 16 hp 9) = 2160. Save = 9 (fail)
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:21 am

Which spell has Potty memorized for today? The list is here: http://forum.immersiveink.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=829

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:30 am

By the Bushy Toes of the Olde Tooke, farmer Skip's cider is a bless-ed tonic. Tet empties the jug in a single, mighty pull then wipes his wetted mouth across the full length of his sleeve. Ahhhhhhhhhh! he declares at length. Then belches.

'Scuse me! Now let's get these here nips loaded and us down to Hornpipe at a scamper. I hear Berryholt's frothy is the finest he's brewed in a decade, and I've a rare thirst about me today!

Tet loads the remaining turnips with unwarranted enthusiasm.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by Tonneau » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:11 pm

Potty descends into a feverous scratching, as the touch of the turnips takes its toll on his susceptible skin. He dare not dream of loading any more of the fell tubers, let alone compete with the likes of the burly giants tossing turnips like there is no tomorrow.

He places himself out of harms way and waits for the ride, enjoying the buzz of cider in his veins and trying not to scratch too much.
Potty has been out hunting his favourite 'shrooms so has speak with animals memorised. The wee beasties know where to find the best mushies
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”