Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by kipper » Tue May 19, 2020 2:17 pm

Re: Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

Dame Simonetta absentmindedly pats Tet on the head gently and smiles in fond memory.

Post by acodispo » Tue May 19, 2020 2:20 pm

Willie doesn't know quite what to do about this whole situation. He notices that Tet has helped to finish off one of the stacks (and who can blame him, that last morsel was especially tempting). Willie's not sure if this should be a disqualifying factor or not. But then he remembers his own testing by Frederick.

"Very good, you have all PASSED! You have proved yourselves willing to take on great & horrible tasks -- nay, nigh impossible tasks -- whether you succeed or fail! Given this, you are surely ADVENTURERS...

"And I'm very sorry to hear about Snooky...

"Now, you're part of Adventure Club! Here are the rules:

1st Rule: You do not talk about ADVENTURE CLUB.
2nd Rule: You DO NOT talk about ADVENTURE CLUB!!
3rd Rule: ESPECIALLY not to the HUMANS!!!
4th Rule: NO SPOILERS for new members of the Club.
5th Rule: No snooping around town or causing trouble with the humans.
6th Rule: Do not give in to Chaos!
7th Rule: If this is your first time at ADVENTURE CLUB, you MUST enter the dungeon!

"These rules originally copyright Mr. Frederick."

A Hobbet would never fail to give proper attribution, after all.

"Now, tell us your names, and a bit about yourselves, and why you've come here to Hornpipe seeking ADVENTURE!"
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:56 pm

Dougal carefully eyes the newcomers as they eat their fill of unadorned flapjacks and lets the smallest bit of a corner turn up at the side of his mouth as Tet sneaks the last square.

"Yes, yes, let's hear a little about you and then we'll mention a bit of ourselves before we gear up..."Dougal quips out after Willie.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by kipper » Wed May 20, 2020 2:09 pm

"I can plainly see that somebody has got to keep you boys out of too much trouble," Dame Simonetta says, "Just try to stop me!"

Post by mgtremaine » Wed May 20, 2020 5:54 pm

Kiplyn gives a sigh of relief, then somewhat absentmindedly starts picking at whatever else is around to fill up the corners.

"Well my name is Kiplyn I come from across the valley and around the hill, my family is Sorefeet and I was heading over to do some seasonal work on the farms. But if this here Adventures Club, or err um club, can keep me vittles then I'm all for it. I don't know too much about things dangerous and all that but I got good ears and my head is stuck on straight as my pa says."
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by acodispo » Sun May 24, 2020 2:58 pm

"Well, we're glad to have you all onboard. Alright, are we ready for ADVENTURE?"

Once everyone is introduced, Willie leads them in his best grave manner (which involves keeping his back straight & walking one step at a time) to the trapdoor under the barrels in the back.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sun May 24, 2020 5:24 pm

Frederick yawns and stretches."The pancakes are on the house. Brave members of Adventure Club eat for free. Consider mi casa your official Clubhouse! But, that does mean you have to wash your own dishes and clean up after yourselves. I'm all tuckered out." He crawls into a sleeping nook under the counter and soon is snoring loudly.

Dougal, Noh, and Kiplyn have bedrolls in their inventory, and will sleep in comfort by the fireplace. The others Hobbets can borrow blankets if they like. Frederick's spare blankets are worn and thin, but better than nothing.
I apologize but for narrative story-pacing reasons, I must insist all Hobbets get a good night's sleep, and we'll start the second Adventure in the morning.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sun May 24, 2020 5:42 pm

A couple of random notes:

Willie is carrying 12 flasks of holy water. The deal was to drop 10 flasks off at the supply chest, and keep 2 as a reward.

There was some interest in exploring north of area 15, site of the ghoul battle. That's fine with me. If it was just returning PCs, I might fast-forward you to that area, maybe throw in a wandering monster check. Since there are new players, however, I think we'll play it out for the sake of their immersion.

I'm just finalizing my Google Sheets so if you have any additional equipment purchases, in-character banter, or other prep work, now is the time. I expect we will flash-forward through an uneventful night's sleep at the Pancake House, and then get you started on the Second Adventure. I will be creating that new thread very soon. When I post the link here, you can switch over to the new thread to get started.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sun May 24, 2020 6:56 pm

Please take a moment to review the Hobbet Heroes Inventory spreadsheet I just added in the first post of this thread: http://forum.immersiveink.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=836

If you want to purchase any additional equipment, now is the time.

For convenience's sake, lets say that returning PCs have their torches, rations, etc. replenished to full. I owe you an updated gold piece tally, coming soon.

I think it would be fun and immersive to start tracking encumbrance. Any objections? If I was Evil DM, I would give Hobbets reduced carrying capacity due to their diminutive size, but I'll be generous and say that Hobbets have full human carrying capacity. Let's say that Hobbet-sized equipment is lighter that normal, so it cancels out.

By my tally, Tet and Willie have a movement rate of 6", Dougal and Noh at 9", and Kiplyn and Dame Simonetta at 12".

Willie gets bonus carrying capacity due to his 15 strength.

Post by mushgnome » Sun May 24, 2020 7:19 pm

December 4

In the morning, our Hobbet Heroes take a moment to gather their courage for the Second Adventure. Frederick serves up a huge batch of his special cornmeal johnnycakes, with a side order of cheese omelettes.

When everyone has eaten their fill, Frederick leads the way to the storeroom and slides aside the barrel covering the trap door. He lifts the hatch and wishes our heroes luck as they descend the ladder down into the dungeon.

For continuity's sake, if you want to say a few words here to close out this scene, that would be great.

Once you are happy with your inventory list, and ready to rock & roll, please proceed to the Second Adventure thread:

http://forum.immersiveink.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=868

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”