Post by mgtremaine » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:47 pm

Re: Out Of Character

ehiker133 wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:33 pm
mgtremaine wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:15 pm
Err.. look at the google sheet

https://forum.immersiveink.com/viewtopi ... 896#p29896

You clearly have Lockpicks / Thieves Tool you sneaky rogue.
Well _I_ knew I had them. But its just that now it seems they don't do any good!

Well edit the sheet to say Nosepicks you can't argue that wouldn't useful ;p
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:54 am

@kipper, the wheels are definitely still in motion on the Dame's custom armor. Unfortunately with travel times due to the snow, etc...

You'll know when it's time. Trust me.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:08 am

Okay, here is my ruling on Thieves Tools and Lockpicks! As always, all rulings are subject to change based on what's 'fun' in actual play.

Delving Deeper v5 does not mention these tools, and therefore I will continue to not require them.

The closest to a definitive ruling is in DD v5 Heroes & Magic, page 40 (this is a quote of a quote originally from odd74 member Daniel Wager) "It came about like this, one group had a dwarf who wanted to try picking locks with his dagger, so I had the idea for a Burglar class."

If original '74 dwarves can pick locks with daggers, then hobbet burglars can definitely pick locks with whatever improvised items they can pull from their nasty little pocketses!

However: I understand that thieves tools are cool and you want them. That's totally fine with me.

I will put the ball in your court: Whenever your PC is in a situation where you think your Thieves Tools would be applicable, you can describe your actions to me. (For example using your tiny snippers to disarm a trip wire.) If I am convinced, I will give you a bonus. This seems highly appropriate to the spirit of old school gameplay.

To balance this out, I will "upgrade" some of the locks and traps throughout the dungeon.

The first dungeon level has been largely bereft of traditional traps and locks. That was an intentional decision. I wanted to use mostly non-lethal puzzles and easter eggs on the first level. Look for the training wheels to come off in deeper dungeon levels.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:11 am

I have a few minor to-do items for my DM checklist (update inventory, gold piece total, map update) but I'll probably wait to catch up with that the week between xmas and nye. Don't let that stop us from moving forward with the story! I know the holidays are busy, so post as you have spare time, no pressure.

Post by kipper » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:23 pm

mushgnome wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:54 am
@kipper, the wheels are definitely still in motion on the Dame's custom armor. Unfortunately with travel times due to the snow, etc...

You'll know when it's time. Trust me.
No worries, a lot more real-time is passing than in-game time!

Post by mushgnome » Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:13 pm

Question about crafting potions, scrolls and other magic items:

I always kind of assumed without really questioning, that it takes 7 consecutive days to craft a potion or scroll, i.e. the caster needs an uninterrupted block of down-time.

However off the top of my head, I can't really point to this anywhere in the rules. Can you?

Has anyone ever played in a campaign where casters can chip away piecemeal at crafting magic items? In other words, work on your scroll for 1 day, go on an Adventure, work on the scroll 2 more days, go on another Adventure, etc.?

I feel like that could work well for play-by-post format. The casters can use rest days (like if the party wants to skip forward a day so Bilfur can get his spell slot back) to make 1/7th progress toward a potion or scroll.

Thoughts?

(This would also put Dame Simonetta 1 day closer to getting her custom armor.)

Post by Scottenkainen » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:44 am

I think crafting potions and scrolls needs to be difficult, or more people would be able to do it. Not something that you can step away from and came back to later like...messageboard posting.

Post by dtspurrier » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:20 am

sorry for the delay, holiday business

In an AD&D game one of my dungeon masters let cleric and wizard scribe scrolls. 1 page per spell level and there was a cost for the ink. Also each spell level was a full day to scribe

ex: 2nd level spell web would take two days to craft, take 2 pages of parchment and cost 100 gp per page

Post by kipper » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:07 pm

I don't really see there is much of a difference. I don't think there are many circumstances where handwaving the passage of a week when the characters are in a safe location would be materially different from handwaving the passage of a single day (other than the intended effect of creating magic scrolls or whatever), but the latter has slightly less potential for abuse and less need for specific case-by-case adjudication. So I'm in favour of the piecemeal idea.

Post by mushgnome » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:25 pm

Happy New Year!

The real-world calendar is catching up to the Hobbet calendar! :)

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”