Out Of Character

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by mgtremaine » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:42 am

Re: Out Of Character

Never read Elric? :shock: I spent many years searching used books as teenager finding the various release titles of Elric and Hawkmoon and the others. Back in 80s there was no "complete" or giant complations so you had dig to find a lot of the more obscure stuff. Damn it was fun, loved his worlds. I think you are in for a treat!
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:30 am

mushgnome wrote:You know, all my years in the hobby, and love of literature, and I've never read Moorcock's Elrick stories.
:shock:
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by rredmond » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:06 pm

I've read them, even though I don't prefer the anti-hero kind of story. Books and movies generally have to have the good guys win; I read the Thomas Covenant series because I dug the world created and the writing, but I don't think I ever read those books again, even though I have them. But Elric I might give another try.
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by mushgnome » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:06 pm

(Hangs head in shame.)
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:16 pm

rredmond wrote:I've read them, even though I don't prefer the anti-hero kind of story. Books and movies generally have to have the good guys win; I read the Thomas Covenant series because I dug the world created and the writing, but I don't think I ever read those books again, even though I have them. But Elric I might give another try.

I read all those also, once. Expect the first book I actually never finished I got as far as the rape of Lena and I stop reading. I already had the second and third so they sat on the shelve for I while then I started up again on book 2 and enjoyed then the rest of the way through. Another very interesting world but the 13 year old me was not able to deal with book 1. Anti-hero that slaughter armies like Elric and Stormbringer sure but ....

-Mike
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:53 pm

It's been a looooooong time since I read Thomas Covenant, and maybe (like Mike) I was a little too young. My main recollection of the experience was wondering, "Who cares about this guy? I want to read more about the Giants and the Bloodguard."
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:37 pm

The Giants! Hell ya. Hey whinny dude stand over there and let us handle things when we need your crazy magic we'll let you know. :lol:

Post by rredmond » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:50 pm

Yeah, I read the series, but never really got past the whole "who cares about this guy" feeling. I did get the novelette (I forget the name) on the Bloodguard and remembering really enjoying that... it might be worth a reread.
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by mushgnome » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:26 pm

I always admired the Bloodguard's "we don't need no stinkin' weapons" attitude. I would freak out if I was on a fantasy battlefield in plate armor, and some dude just casually strolled up to me, looking like he wanted to punch me.

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:50 pm

rredmond wrote:I've read them, even though I don't prefer the anti-hero kind of story. Books and movies generally have to have the good guys win; I read the Thomas Covenant series because I dug the world created and the writing, but I don't think I ever read those books again, even though I have them. But Elric I might give another try.
Ha! I JUST downloaded the first of the Thomas Covenant series the other day as an audiobook. I hadn't read them in years and figured I could listen to them whilst WFH...
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”