The Sixth Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by dtspurrier » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:44 pm

Re: The Sixth Adventure

bilfur asks, " what does it mean out of bounds? is there places we can or cannot explore? Who wrote this? " Bilfur sees if the bars are sturdy

Post by acodispo » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:59 am

"Maybe the waterway leads up to the surface," speculates Willie. "If so, it would be bad for us to suddenly pop out in the river somewhere -- the humans can't know about this place!"

"Does anyone have a pole or something like that?"

If so, he'll poke it gently into the water to gauge the depth at the shoreline.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by kipper » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:33 pm

Dame Simonetta keeps watch behind us against the return of the metal-eating monster as Willie investigates the water.

We don't have poles or spears, but we do have crowbars and ropes... a crowbar is likely not long enough, but something heavy could be tied to a rope and used to test the water.

Anyway, it seems to explore this level any further we're going to need a raft!

I don't think we should enter level 4 yet (west along the beach), so our only other options are level 1 and level 3. The entrances to level 3 are from level 1, so I think we should head north (though level 2 area 4) to return to an unexplored portion of level 1, then eventually make our way westward to one of the level 3 entrances (probably level 1 area 14).

Post by mushgnome » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:38 pm

The bars look very sturdy, and there isn't any sort of hinge or gate to get through them. It looks like the bars are permanently welded in place.

The eastern river flows through a natural stone tube roughly 20' in diameter. The water comes halfway up, so if you were in a boat or raft, you would have up to 10' headroom in the middle of the arch, and you would guess the water is probably 10'-ish at its deepest, in that direction (around the corner to your left, looking east through the bars).

To the west, it opens up into a larger area, and it would be reasonable to assume, the water is potentially deeper than 10' in that direction.

I do see Willie has rope and grappling hook in his inventory. Does he want to use that, to take a depth sounding?

(The water is so murky, it's impossible to 'eyeball' it.)
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:43 pm

"I don't like the idea of getting all wet in there. Best we turn back and north back towards level 1"Kiplyn says while fearing the unknown tentacle monsters that are surely lurking in the deep water.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:22 pm

dtspurrier wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:44 pm
bilfur asks, " what does it mean out of bounds? is there places we can or cannot explore? "
OOC: Clever players are always welcome to ignore these warning signs or otherwise break the 'Rules' of the dungeon. If Bilfur chooses to go 'out of bounds' probably what he will find is something like this: Instead of monsters from the Dungeon Level 2 tables, he would encounter monsters from the Wilderness tables. The campaign would shift from dungeon-crawl to hex-crawl timescale. The party would paddle their little raft upstream for hours, days, maybe even weeks, until they connect up with some other Dungeon to explore. Or, I could see this eventually evolving into a D1-3 style Underdark campaign (someday when the PCs are much higher level).

Bilfur knows (from talking to burrowing animals) that the earth is riddled with holes, like Swiss cheese, and there is as much Wilderness below the ground as above it. The wildest fairy tales claim that the Earth is full of fire, or that all rivers eventually flow into an Underground Sea.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:13 pm

Dougal scratches his head, "Can't we continue south along the beach?"
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:38 pm

ehiker133 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:13 pm
Dougal scratches his head, "Can't we continue south along the beach?"
OOC: I changed up the mapping style from Dungeon Level 1 to Level 2. I think maybe with the new style, you are misreading the 'fog of war' as water, and water as beach? Sorry about that!

The old 'fog of war' (indicating unknown areas the party either hasn't explored or cannot see) was the same texture as the stone walls. I was never totally happy with how that looked. The new fog of war is paper-texture with no grid-lines.

'Beach' is my word for the 10'x10' white squares (same color as the hallways) that neighbor the water.

Water squares are gray with 10'x10' grid.

@kipper is reading the map correctly, that all further paths of exploration on Level 2 are water routes.

Post by dtspurrier » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:40 pm

Bilfur says, " well if we do try to use a boat the river would go to an underground sea which they call the underdark. We can explore that but getting back home would be tough"

Post by mushgnome » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:10 pm

OOC: Just want to say how much I am loving Bilfur's personality. Good to have you aboard, @dtspurrier!.

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”