The Sixth Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by kipper » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:49 pm

Re: The Sixth Adventure

Dame Simonetta follows the example set by <rolls d4> Kiplyn!
1d4=3

Post by mushgnome » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:29 pm

Round 2

The party takes aim at the fleeing rust monster. Wilbur and Dame Simonetta do not get their attacks off in time. Bilfur and Kiplyn miss their mark. Dougal and Willie hit with their shots, but the creature's thick carapace saves it from death. The rust monster has taken severe damage, yet somehow, survives the punishment.

The rust monster has escaped to the south! What do you do??
Let's do it this way: I will roll individual initiative. If the rust monster wins initiative, it escapes unscathed. PCs who beat the monster's initiative get to attack.

Bilfur: 4
Dame S: 1
Dougal: 6
Kiplyn: 5
Wilbur: 2
WIllie (+1 Dex): 4

Rust monster: 3

A quick note on slings in Delving Deeper: The rule changed from v4 to v5. In v4, hobbets get +3 to-hit on all hurled missile attacks. In v5, the attack bonus is gone, but "every two shots loosed count as three" which I interpret as a 3/2 rate of fire (1 attack on odd-numbered rounds and 2 attacks on even-numbered rounds).

Attack rolls (+2 short range bonus):
Bilfur: 9, 11 both miss
Dougal: 15 miss, 18 hit for 2hp
Kiplyn (+1 Dex): 13,11 both miss
Willie (+1 Dex): 23! 18 hit twice for 1hp, 2hp

The rust monster takes an additional 5hp damage for a total of 20hp, but it's not enough.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:17 pm

Kiplyn frowns as the beast escapes..."Oh well, I doubt it will come back after that thrashing. Let's take a look at the ambush site and maybe head north."
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:09 pm

It's been a loooong time since I ran a Rust Monster encounter. I'm not a Greyhawk Supplement kind of guy, and I forgot their were OD&D stats for this monster (whoopsie) so I used the 1st ed. AD&D statblock. A few random thoughts after running this encounter:

AC2, 5HD, move 18"... if it had any attacks that did actual hit point damage, it would be a terrifying foe indeed! Tougher than an Ogre.

Strange to me that armor gives protection against the rust attack. If I were re-writing this entry, I would make it a touch attack vs. AC 9.

"If the rust monster touches the metal with its two antennae (roll " to hit" die) it rusts or corrodes the metal." One possible rules-lawyer interpretation of this sentence, is that the rust monster must hit simultaneously with both attacks, to cause the rust effect. How did you guys run this back-in-the-day?

My first encounter with a rust monster was the introductory solo adventure in Mentzer red box Basic (the one with Bargle and Aleena).
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by dtspurrier » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:45 pm

Rust monsters are bad news for fighting me and clerics with metal

Post by coffee » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:28 pm

Wilbur briefly considers changing his name, but "Rusty the Quite Tall" doesn't have the same ring to it...
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by kipper » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:46 pm

Dame Simonetta agrees with Kiplyn again. Since we've flushed out the rust monster, we may as well continue exploring northwards. But let's keep wary in case there are more of them!

Post by mushgnome » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:12 pm

OOC: Here is an updated map. The tunnel to the north leads back to Dungeon Level 1, although, not a section of Level 1 that you have previously explored.

Do you stop and take a Rest Turn here in Area 4, or do you move on as quickly as possible (before the rust monster comes back)?

Post by acodispo » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:36 pm

Willie: "Phew! That was a close one. I think we can safely rest here, as long as we stick to the north section of this cavern. If that thing comes from the south, we should have time to drive it off again with our sling."
You know, I don't think I've ever run a rust monster, nor can I recall ever having encountered one. Maybe back in my 2nd Edition days when I first started out, but if so the memory didn't linger. I do remember the creepy-looking DiTerlizzi illustration from the Monstrous Manual!

I don't know quite why, but I do find threats to equipment (rather than life and limb) strangely terrifying in D&D. Probably because PCs heal but armour does not (and especially magical weapons and armour).
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:16 pm

I haven't run into a Rust Monster in 40 years. I can't say that remember clearly the encounters I had with them but one of the interesting piece of info I have of our easiest games is we used track monsters killed. That is if you gave the killing blow you wrote it down on your list. So have several early characters who have extensive kill lists, Rust Monster is on there.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”