(052) Reckoning the Abbey

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by coffee » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:48 pm

Re: (052) Reckoning the Abbey

ehiker133 wrote:"I don't get it," Desmond mutters, "Why would they have such a fancy chapel, locked up nice and tight, filled with fakes and a... and a dead nun?"
"Because those fake nuns left them here," Dieter growls. "They already looted the place. We loot evil places; stands to reason they would loot the good."
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by flightcommander » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:47 pm

Armando examines the envelope closely — looking for anything written upon it, inspecting the seal, and attempting to determine the nature of the envelope's contents by holding it up in front of the lantern.
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:03 pm

Desmond/Mondes samples the water babbling down the statue itself, but finds it tastes no different to that from the silver basin...

The basin itself looks in pretty reasonable shape to the fighting-hobbit. Worth a pretty penny or two to a pawn broker, certainly.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:11 pm

While the others contrive their theories, Armando quietly examines the envelop... it appears to be a single leaf some two hands wide, folded thrice and held fast with white wax sealed with an Enigma stamp. On the outside the letter appears to be addressed to one "Devoted Servant" in the common parlance.

Armando can flex the page into something of a tube shape so that he can look into it from either end to see there is text inscribed upon the inside. It might be plausible (if unethical) to make out a few words therein, but it won't be possible to read the missive properly without breaking the seal -- or, perhaps, by means of sorcery.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by Tonneau » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:17 pm

Once Desmond/Mondes is done with his discernment of the bowl, Gustave stashes it in his pack (sending a few remaining pastry crumbs into the air). He turns an eye to Armando as he does so, "what have we there ny sharp-eyed comrade?" he says of the new find.
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by flightcommander » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:17 am

"I have discovered on the person of this unfortunate nun an article of correspondence, Gustave. I suspect it may provide some insight into the Abbey's downfall generally, and her own fate specifically... I note it is addressed to a 'Devoted Servant' -- perhaps m'lady cares to open the envelope, as she surely answers to that appellation?"

Armando offers the envelope to Josiane for inspection.
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]

Post by doctorx » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:09 pm

"As you would have it, my friend."

Josiane examines the envelope to make sure there is nothing about it or the writing upon it to make her suspicious.

If she is as satisfied as she can be that all is well, she closes her eyes to offer up a brief reverence, takes a deep breath and opens the envelope to read the letter.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:10 pm

The Infirmary

Torben, Olaf , and Dorgan are here.

The others have been muckin' about downstairs for a good while now... what's keeping them is anyone's guess.

Meanwhile, it's bin eerily quiet upstairs, nuthin' to hear but the low hiss of Wen's flickering candles.

Dorgan scratches his chin as he gazes around tha room for the umpteenth time. Hold up, what's this..? Did someone spill some water?

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:57 pm

The Reliquary

Gustave stashes the silver bowl in his pack as Josiane takes the letter from Armando and, after examining it, breaks the wax seal.

The cold fragments fall away as the letter unfolds, and Josiane sees a letter penned in the Illiberal script. Her eyes follow the text with trepidation, and she reads...

May that Almighty Thuul permit this missive to come unto the hands of the devoted.

Know you, Sister, that my worst fears have been eclipsed by the horrors wrought here, as mere shadow is eclipsed by night.

A diabolical presence is come within our walls and, most likely has been manifesting in secret for many months unknown to us. The one called Cairie has brought taint to our blood, cast doubt unto our hearts, and heralded the ruination of this temple. What evil motivates here is unknowable, but with the greatest sorrow I tell here that many of the younger sisters, and some of the wiser too, succumbed to her affliction and were turned over to vulgar beast-worship. Alas that those few who proved to be steadfast suffered unspeakably and were destroyed.

I pray this missive may reach the Sisters of Mercy that their wisdom be bent against this atrocity. I pray the preservation of that which is most sacred. I pray the faithful may survive, and that the righteous may return here with irrefutable strength.

All that is left to me is to pray.

I pray.

Post by sully » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:57 am

waysoftheearth wrote:The Infirmary

Torben, Olaf , and Dorgan are here.

Dorgan scratches his chin as he gazes around tha room for the umpteenth time. Hold up, what's this..? Did someone spill some water?
Dorgan will investigate this spill further. What is the source of the liquid?
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Return to “Hinterlands”