(084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by sully » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:25 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Chiron listens at the "north" door, the one which leads to the dragons' lair. If he hears nothing, he closes it as quietly as possible.

The mage takes a moment to confirm the dimensions of the boat room and the locations of the doors.

Then Chiron attempts to open the door to the "east". He attempts to force it himself, as memory suggests it was stuck closed.

Should it fail to open, Chiron exits through the "south" door, goes left, then right, then left into the "flower shop" room, and attempts himself to open the door there on the other side of the antechamber.
Assuming that the directions previously given match up so that "left" is west and "right" is east... What are the dimensions of the boat room? Where in the east wall is the door?
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:09 pm

sully wrote:Assuming that the directions previously given match up so that "left" is west and "right" is east... What are the dimensions of the boat room? Where in the east wall is the door?
Happpy to be shown where I slipped up, but I’m not sure I ever provided compass directions. Either way, I provide no guarantee that “left” is west; that would depend on which way you are facing. Where I have provided mud maps, I generaly try to orient them so that “up” continues to be the direction you were facing as you entered the room. I may or may not have done a good job of this.

Re: dimensions of the boat room; Chiron can just “eye-ball” it (quick, but approximate), or could actually pace it out (slow, but accurate). Which do you prefer?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by Tonneau » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:18 am

Lemmi attempts to make her way back to the boat room, figuring that as the nearest refuge. She navigates as cautiously in the near-darkness as escaping from a dragon will allow.
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:10 am

Lemmi

Lemmi avoids the broken bodies of Mero and the others, to scamper across the great lair vault by the blue star light. She enters the passage leading back to the boat room just in time to hear a door, ahead in the passageway, click shut. The passageway grows utterly dark ahead of her... she is going to have to go by feel...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:23 am

Chiron

Chiron closes the door quietly and then, with his back to it, casts a critical eye about the ruinous chamber. It is about 60-70ft long and maybe 30-40 wide. The strange longboat is now a devastated shambles of scorched and broken timber, with the great length of sinking black serpent twisting all over it, and across the chamber. To complete the rancorous picture are the bodies of three fallen Boggsmen.

There are three doors here; the first Chiron has just closed which opens to an L-shaped corridor offering passage directly ahead (thru a dog-leg and to the sundial room) or a left-turn (to the starlit vault).
Then second is the door the company first entered the boat room via. The third was tried previously, but proved to be stuck fast.
  Code:
.........C..........
....+---##---+......
....|........|......
..A.#..Dead..|......
....|.Dragon.|......
....|........|......
....|.(Boat..#.B....
....|..Room).|......
....+--------+......
A door to L-shaped passage
B door via which company first entered
C unopened, stuck door

Post by sully » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:24 pm

I don't care if you're only giving approximate measures because we're not taking the time to exactly pace out distances. But there are times where you say a room is 20x30 and I don't know if it's 20 wide and 30 deep or vice versa. A little more precision there would be useful. For example, I see in the mudmap that the boat room is longer than it is wide, whereas my map was the opposite. At least I'm drawing it in pencil... Actually, now that I look at it, I had the door to the L-shaped corridor at the top, whereas it's apparently on the left side. I've got a lot of erasing to do!

Same thing with locations of doors on walls. Is it in the corner of the wall, or the middle? Even a quick glance would tell me that.

As for the directions, I don't really care if it's up or north. I just find using N, S, E, and W a little more intuitive than up, down, left, and right, at least when you're looking at a map. But let's stick with how you're describing it since, like you said, we don't know if it's actually north or not.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by sully » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:28 pm

Chiron tries the door which proved to be stuck fast. Maybe it's less stuck now? Maybe all the adrenaline flowing through the mage's veins will prove to be advantageous? Maybe a strap drop of acid burned away the part holding the door in place? Only the Gods know for sure.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:07 pm

Responding from my phone; awkward. This is how I described the boat room when you first entered it:
waysoftheearth wrote:'Tis a wide space ... perhaps 30ft deep by 60-70ft broad. Besides the door Mero has just de-hinged, there are two others; one at the far right end of the room, and the other mid-way along the wall across from the entry portal.
I still deem it a pretty good description; albeit the two doors set in the long walls are each somewhat offset from exact centre; but until someone paces it out it’s near enough. The door in the short wall is in the middle of that wall.

Post by sully » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:14 pm

I just transposed "broad" and "deep". Obviously an Australian English to U.S. English translation error... :D

Going forward, can I assume that "broad" is the left-right measure and "deep" is the up-down measure?

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:24 pm

sully wrote:there are times where you say a room is 20x30 and I don't know if it's 20 wide and 30 deep or vice versa.
I am usually pretty careful about how I describe the rooms. If I don’t give you enough information, you should ask for more and I will usually give it.
sully wrote:For example, I see in the mudmap that the boat room is longer than it is wide, whereas my map was the opposite. At least I'm drawing it in pencil... Actually, now that I look at it, I had the door to the L-shaped corridor at the top, whereas it's apparently on the left side.
No. I am telling you what is left or right from your character's perspective, in game, as they enter the room. If you entered the boat room from the short wall door, then I'd describe it as a long but narrow room. If you entered the same room from a wide wall door, then I'd describe it as a wide but short room.
sully wrote:As for the directions, I don't really care if it's up or north. I just find using N, S, E, and W a little more intuitive than up, down, left, and right, at least when you're looking at a map.
Once again, I’m giving you left/right/ahead directions relative to your character’s current perspective. I am not telling you: when I’m looking at my dungeon map, with north up, something is left (a.k.a west) or right (a.k.a east) of your current position.
sully wrote:I just transposed "broad" and "deep". Obviously an Australian English to U.S. English translation error... :D

Going forward, can I assume that "broad" is the left-right measure and "deep" is the up-down measure?
I generally use "width" and "breadth" interchangeably. I also tend to use "length" and "depth" interchangeably where only two-dimensions matter.

No, please do not assume that either width or length is always left-right. Also, do not assume that my map is strictly orthogonal.

Hope that helps :)

Return to “Hinterlands”