(084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Posts: 16541
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:30 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

The dragon room

Lemmi passes swiftly through the columns to gaze down the 40ft broad diamond-sectioned excavation. A ways below her, 50ft or so, lies the floor. It is littered with the dragon's hoard; glittering in the semi-dark. She sees now that access can be had via a narrow stair that curls its way around the entire four walls of the shaft... the floor space below seems unconstrained by its breadth.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 1161
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post by acodispo » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:35 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

As they rest, Walfried, having finished his prayers for the dead, begins a discussion of a plan.

"Our fighting strength is too little now, to take on that beast," he muses. "But I will not stop short of vengeance for our fallen comrades. Also, I think where such a beast dwells, great treasures may be found. If we were to kill the thing, its hoard would be ours."

He thinks a bit, then:

"My sense of direction may be askew, but it seems the untried door beyond this room should lead toward the lair of the beast. If we were lucky, and quick, we could perhaps grab some gold, and flee, before the beast returned. Then we could return to the surface, gather a proper fighting force, and return to vanquish it.

"Or we could use that silver we found..."


He looks around for the sack of silver they discovered in the excavation room, hoping that none of their fallen comrades possessed it.
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf, F3/MU2 (M 12", AC 9, HD 4+1, hp 14/14, N) cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe; light, colour spray (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]

Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post by Tonneau » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:47 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Lemmi's eyes grow wide at the sight of gold in the pit. She glances back over her shoulder, then back at the horde, shakes her head, and scuttles down the stair.
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]

Posts: 16541
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:02 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

The dragon room

Lemmi skips down the 1ft wide stair with consumate ease, leaping the last three steps to land silently on the cool, stone floor. For a moment she is a shadow; not even the blue starlight touches her.

The stink of the wyrm cloaks the whole of this pit; its nest is a stall-sized pile of coins riddled with shiny curiosities the like of which Lemmi has only ever dreamed. Around it upon the walls stand perhaps a dozen clunky old armored suits in a wanton disorder. Between them, the rear-most part of her mind registers, are four dark passages leading out of this place at diametric poles of the chamber. For now though, all she can see is treasure...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 16541
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:05 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

The boat room
acodispo wrote:He looks around for the sack of silver they discovered in the excavation room, hoping that none of their fallen comrades possessed it.
I believe Morin carries it.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 16541
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:37 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Perhaps now would be a good time to... "delay" the dragon?

:D
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post by Tonneau » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:59 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Lemmi remains silent and still for a moment, listening for any sign of movement from above. Her eyes flicker over the horde, registering items of prime interest for pocketting.

If nothing can be heard, she castes a discerning eye over the suits of armour and exits nearby.

Only if all is well does she does begins stuffing the items of most interest into pack, strap and belt.
Lemmi aims for jewelry and fine weapons, trying to get as much loot as possible in a short time; If any sound of approaching doom registers, Lemmi hides in one of the pit exits
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]

Posts: 1196
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post by sully » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:32 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Chiron rises to his feet, hoisting his lantern.

Chances to loot a dragon's hoard are few and far between. Let us try this door that Walfried speaks of, and test our luck.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord

Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 am

Post by flightcommander » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:52 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Morin refills his lantern.
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]

Posts: 1161
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post by acodispo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:20 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Once preparations are made & everyone is on their feet again, Brother Walfried points out the boat room door & to the left.

"The door is there. I suggest two or three of us put our shoulders to it at once, in case it's stuck. We don't know what's on the other side. If we encounter the beast, let us flee back to this boat room, and beyond to the surface if we are pursued. If the beast is not at home, let's grab what we can, and get out quick!"

He leads the way down the corridor to the unopened door, and beckons to two others -- perhaps Boggs and one of the Boggsmen -- to help him force it.

He whispers: "One -- two -- THREE!"

And puts his shoulder in to the door as he turns the handle.
I've once again forgotten how many men can try to open a door in concert. Adjust the above for that. Also:
waysoftheearth wrote:Perhaps now would be a good time to... "delay" the dragon?
What does that mean?? :?
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf, F3/MU2 (M 12", AC 9, HD 4+1, hp 14/14, N) cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe; light, colour spray (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]

Return to “Hinterlands”

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
Designed by ST Software.